After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show

Bacchus41

After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show
After many tries and MS help, I got SP3 installed but it had to be installed
in Safe Mode. Almost all connecting devices disappeared after normal reboot.
Found that most Services (services.msc) were turned off and the Register was
full of 100s of temp files. I used this forum for info and turned the
services on and erased registry temp files. Everything came back except for
my network connections. Only Internet connection shows. How do I get my
wireless and LAN connections to reappear?
TaurArian

Re: After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show
Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791

If you're running Norton's :

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...08051623512613

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Bacchus41" <Bacchus41@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After many tries and MS help, I got SP3 installed but it had to be
> installed
> in Safe Mode. Almost all connecting devices disappeared after normal
> reboot.
> Found that most Services (services.msc) were turned off and the Register
> was
> full of 100s of temp files. I used this forum for info and turned the
> services on and erased registry temp files. Everything came back except
> for
> my network connections. Only Internet connection shows. How do I get my
> wireless and LAN connections to reappear?

Bacchus41

Re: After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show
Thanks but I used your first suggestion to clear out the 100s of temp files
in the registry and I don't run Norton's. Hope you can suggest something else.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
> Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791
>
> If you're running Norton's :
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...08051623512613
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Bacchus41" <Bacchus41@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After many tries and MS help, I got SP3 installed but it had to be
> > installed
> > in Safe Mode. Almost all connecting devices disappeared after normal
> > reboot.
> > Found that most Services (services.msc) were turned off and the Register
> > was
> > full of 100s of temp files. I used this forum for info and turned the
> > services on and erased registry temp files. Everything came back except
> > for
> > my network connections. Only Internet connection shows. How do I get my
> > wireless and LAN connections to reappear?

Re: After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show
Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791

Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not show
any network connections after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
[NB: Follow the instructions under "How to apply the hotfix"]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979

Should you need further assistance:

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Bacchus41 wrote:
> After many tries and MS help, I got SP3 installed but it had to be
> installed
> in Safe Mode. Almost all connecting devices disappeared after normal
> reboot.
> Found that most Services (services.msc) were turned off and the Register
> was
> full of 100s of temp files. I used this forum for info and turned the
> services on and erased registry temp files. Everything came back except
> for
> my network connections. Only Internet connection shows. How do I get my
> wireless and LAN connections to reappear?

Bacchus41

Re: After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show
Thanks to you too but your first suggestion is what I tried initially and the
second did not fix the problem. I still only have my Internet Connection on
the Network page and my wireless and LAN connections are still missing. But
thanks again. I guess I'll have to go through another on line session with MS.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
> Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791
>
> Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not show
> any network connections after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> [NB: Follow the instructions under "How to apply the hotfix"]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979
>
> Should you need further assistance:

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Bacchus41 wrote:
> > After many tries and MS help, I got SP3 installed but it had to be
> > installed
> > in Safe Mode. Almost all connecting devices disappeared after normal
> > reboot.
> > Found that most Services (services.msc) were turned off and the Register
> > was
> > full of 100s of temp files. I used this forum for info and turned the
> > services on and erased registry temp files. Everything came back except
> > for
> > my network connections. Only Internet connection shows. How do I get my
> > wireless and LAN connections to reappear?

Re: After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show
(if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
installed WinXP SP3?

Bacchus41 wrote:
> Thanks to you too but your first suggestion is what I tried initially and
> the second did not fix the problem. I still only have my Internet
> Connection on the Network page and my wireless and LAN connections are
> still missing. But thanks again. I guess I'll have to go through another
> on
> line session with MS.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
>> Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791
>>
>> Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not
>> show any network connections after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> [NB: Follow the instructions under "How to apply the hotfix"]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979
>>
>> Should you need further assistance:
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> "Windows
>> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Bacchus41 wrote:
>>> After many tries and MS help, I got SP3 installed but it had to be
>>> installed
>>> in Safe Mode. Almost all connecting devices disappeared after normal
>>> reboot.
>>> Found that most Services (services.msc) were turned off and the Register
>>> was
>>> full of 100s of temp files. I used this forum for info and turned the
>>> services on and erased registry temp files. Everything came back except
>>> for
>>> my network connections. Only Internet connection shows. How do I get my
>>> wireless and LAN connections to reappear?

Bacchus41

Re: After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show
I am running McAfee Security Suite, which includes anti-virus and firewall,
but everything was turned off during the entire process. SP3 was downloaded
in normal mode and installed in safe mode because it wouldn't install in
normal mode. The MS tech said that some kind of security used by MS must be
blocking the installation. When I rebooted in normal mode is when I found
everything missing and did all of the things that have been suggested on this
site plus turning on missing items in services.msc. The printer, etc., and
Internet Connection came back but not the networks. Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed WinXP SP3?
>
> Bacchus41 wrote:
> > Thanks to you too but your first suggestion is what I tried initially and
> > the second did not fix the problem. I still only have my Internet
> > Connection on the Network page and my wireless and LAN connections are
> > still missing. But thanks again. I guess I'll have to go through another
> > on
> > line session with MS.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
> >> Windows XP Service Pack 3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791
> >>
> >> Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not
> >> show any network connections after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> >> [NB: Follow the instructions under "How to apply the hotfix"]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979
> >>
> >> Should you need further assistance:
> >>
> >> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> >> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> >> "Windows
> >> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show
Does uninstalling WinXP SP3 (with McAfee AV and firewall disabled *AND* the
Windows Firewall enabled) resolve the problems?

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

> ...SP3 was downloaded
> in normal mode and installed in safe mode because it wouldn't install in
> normal mode. The MS tech said that some kind of security used by MS must
> be
> blocking the installation.

If McAfee Security Center and all anti-spyware applications had been
disabled and yet WinXP SP3 would only install in Safe Mode, its possible
that an already- and still-present hijackware infection may be at work here.

Then again, has a Norton application ever been installed? Did you upgrade
to your current McAfee application from an earlier version of the same or
another McAfee application?
--
~PA Bear

Bacchus41 wrote:
> I am running McAfee Security Suite, which includes anti-virus and
> firewall,
> but everything was turned off during the entire process. SP3 was
> downloaded
> in normal mode and installed in safe mode because it wouldn't install in
> normal mode. The MS tech said that some kind of security used by MS must
> be
> blocking the installation. When I rebooted in normal mode is when I found
> everything missing and did all of the things that have been suggested on
> this site plus turning on missing items in services.msc. The printer,
> etc.,
> and Internet Connection came back but not the networks. Thanks.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall
>> (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when
>> you installed WinXP SP3?
>>
>> Bacchus41 wrote:
>>> Thanks to you too but your first suggestion is what I tried initially
>>> and
>>> the second did not fix the problem. I still only have my Internet
>>> Connection on the Network page and my wireless and LAN connections are
>>> still missing. But thanks again. I guess I'll have to go through another
>>> on
>>> line session with MS.

Bacchus41

Re: After XP Pro SP3 update, network connections don't show
To be perfectly honest with you, installing SP3 was such a time consuming and
frustrating experience that I am more than a little gun shy about
uninstalling it. Besides taking all of the "fun" out of using a computer, it
took all afternoon on line with MS tech support after days of my trying, to
get it installed. However, if you can't think of any other way, I have to
consider it. But please tell me there is nothing else to try first. Like is
there a way to uninstall the invisible networks and reinstall them? Thanks.

I suggest you contact MS again.