q823559

Jim

q823559
After reinstalling IEv.6 I had to do some critical updates of which this was
one;
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-023
Buffer Overrun In HTML Converter Could Allow Code Execution (823559)

Originally posted: July 9, 2003
Updated: May 13, 2004
Version: 1.5

I have had to reinstall this 2 times this week and after the last install I
ran a scan and again it is asking for this critical update! Each update
states that the q823559 was successful...What's the problem here?

Jim

Re: q823559
Also, I would like to add that it is listed in Control Panel>Add/Remove as
Q823559 installed.

"Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
> After reinstalling IEv.6 I had to do some critical updates of which this

was
> one;
> Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-023
> Buffer Overrun In HTML Converter Could Allow Code Execution (823559)
>
> Originally posted: July 9, 2003
> Updated: May 13, 2004
> Version: 1.5
>
> I have had to reinstall this 2 times this week and after the last install

> ran a scan and again it is asking for this critical update! Each update
> states that the q823559 was successful...What's the problem here?

Re: q823559
How did you go about reinstalling IE6 in Win98? What issues were you having
that you thought reinstalling IE6 might resolve?

If you (1) download the installer for KB823559 from the following link,
saving it to your desktop, (2) double-click on the saved file to install it
manually, and then (3) reboot, does Windows Update still offer it?

Download details: Security Update for Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows 98
Second Edition (KB823559):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-b6e020348569

Support for Win98 ended in July 2006. While MS offers free support for
Windows Update issues, this support no longer applies to Win98.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jim wrote:
> Also, I would like to add that it is listed in Control Panel>Add/Remove as
> Q823559 installed.
>
>> After reinstalling IEv.6 I had to do some critical updates of which this
>> was one;
>> Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-023
>> Buffer Overrun In HTML Converter Could Allow Code Execution (823559)
>>
>> Originally posted: July 9, 2003
>> Updated: May 13, 2004
>> Version: 1.5
>>
>> I have had to reinstall this 2 times this week and after the last install
>> ran a scan and again it is asking for this critical update! Each update
>> states that the q823559 was successful...What's the problem here?

Jim

Re: q823559
It was an error. I was supposed to repair IE and instead I went into Control
Panel>Add\Remove and D-clicked IE. I then refreshed my memory of the
Advanced option on reinstate previous version and clicked ok instead of
cancel to exit. The application uninstalled and reinstalled the previous
version 5. At this point I went to MS Support and DL the MSIEv.6 and
reinstalled it. Next I went to WindowsUpdate to check for critical updates
and installed all of which q823559 was one. I have left Windows Critical
Update on and the next day a prompt for critical update. Upon checking I
found the offer of q823559 again. After running the install again I check
with initial scan and again the prompt shows up...This is in Control Panel
as a windows security update. Is it possible that the scanner is wrong?
> How did you go about reinstalling IE6 in Win98? What issues were you

having
> that you thought reinstalling IE6 might resolve?
>
> If you (1) download the installer for KB823559 from the following link,
> saving it to your desktop, (2) double-click on the saved file to install

it
> manually, and then (3) reboot, does Windows Update still offer it?
>
> Download details: Security Update for Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows 98
> Second Edition (KB823559):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-b6e020348569

> Support for Win98 ended in July 2006. While MS offers free support for
> Windows Update issues, this support no longer applies to Win98.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Jim wrote:
> > Also, I would like to add that it is listed in Control Panel>Add/Remove

as
> > Q823559 installed.
> >
> >> After reinstalling IEv.6 I had to do some critical updates of which

this
> >> was one;
> >> Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-023
> >> Buffer Overrun In HTML Converter Could Allow Code Execution (823559)
> >>
> >> Originally posted: July 9, 2003
> >> Updated: May 13, 2004
> >> Version: 1.5
> >>
> >> I have had to reinstall this 2 times this week and after the last

install
> >> ran a scan and again it is asking for this critical update! Each update
> >> states that the q823559 was successful...What's the problem here?

Re: q823559
By any chance and at any point in the past, have you had occasion to (1)
reinstall Win98 (2) without having first uninstalled IE6 via Add/Remove
Programs?

If you go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select CUSTOM and scan, is
KB823559 (or Q823559) offered (again)? Is it listed in the Update History
section and if so, does this listing indicate a Successful install? Does
Windows Update offer you any other security updates?

Have you tried to install KB823559 manually per my previous reply?

Jim wrote:
> It was an error. I was supposed to repair IE and instead I went into
> Control
> Panel>Add\Remove and D-clicked IE. I then refreshed my memory of the
> Advanced option on reinstate previous version and clicked ok instead of
> cancel to exit. The application uninstalled and reinstalled the previous
> version 5. At this point I went to MS Support and DL the MSIEv.6 and
> reinstalled it. Next I went to WindowsUpdate to check for critical updates
> and installed all of which q823559 was one. I have left Windows Critical
> Update on and the next day a prompt for critical update. Upon checking I
> found the offer of q823559 again. After running the install again I check
> with initial scan and again the prompt shows up...This is in Control Panel
> as a windows security update. Is it possible that the scanner is wrong?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> How did you go about reinstalling IE6 in Win98? What issues were you
>> having that you thought reinstalling IE6 might resolve?
>>
>> If you (1) download the installer for KB823559 from the following link,
>> saving it to your desktop, (2) double-click on the saved file to install
>> it
>> manually, and then (3) reboot, does Windows Update still offer it?
>>
>> Download details: Security Update for Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows 98
>> Second Edition (KB823559):
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-b6e020348569
>>
>> Support for Win98 ended in July 2006. While MS offers free support for
>> Windows Update issues, this support no longer applies to Win98.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Jim wrote:
>>> Also, I would like to add that it is listed in Control Panel>Add/Remove
>>> as
>>> Q823559 installed.

Jim

Re: q823559
No, I have never had to reinstall win98se or IE.

The scan was the Welcome page scan. I do not see the "custom" scan. I do see
[Other Options] \View| Personalize| Support. Is this what you mean by
"custom", to Personalize Windows Update?

It is listed in the View Installation History several times, each time it
states the install was successful.

Initially the Update site did offer other updates (6) in all, of which
q823559 was one.

I have not tried the manual update since q823559 is already there.

> By any chance and at any point in the past, have you had occasion to (1)
> reinstall Win98 (2) without having first uninstalled IE6 via Add/Remove
> Programs?
>
> If you go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select CUSTOM and scan,

is
> KB823559 (or Q823559) offered (again)? Is it listed in the Update History
> section and if so, does this listing indicate a Successful install? Does
> Windows Update offer you any other security updates?
>
> Have you tried to install KB823559 manually per my previous reply?
>
> Jim wrote:
> > It was an error. I was supposed to repair IE and instead I went into
> > Control
> > Panel>Add\Remove and D-clicked IE. I then refreshed my memory of the
> > Advanced option on reinstate previous version and clicked ok instead of
> > cancel to exit. The application uninstalled and reinstalled the previous
> > version 5. At this point I went to MS Support and DL the MSIEv.6 and
> > reinstalled it. Next I went to WindowsUpdate to check for critical

updates
> > and installed all of which q823559 was one. I have left Windows Critical
> > Update on and the next day a prompt for critical update. Upon checking I
> > found the offer of q823559 again. After running the install again I

check
> > with initial scan and again the prompt shows up...This is in Control

Panel
> > as a windows security update. Is it possible that the scanner is wrong?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> How did you go about reinstalling IE6 in Win98? What issues were you
> >> having that you thought reinstalling IE6 might resolve?
> >>
> >> If you (1) download the installer for KB823559 from the following link,
> >> saving it to your desktop, (2) double-click on the saved file to

install
> >> it
> >> manually, and then (3) reboot, does Windows Update still offer it?
> >>
> >> Download details: Security Update for Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows

98
> >> Second Edition (KB823559):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-b6e020348569

> >> Support for Win98 ended in July 2006. While MS offers free support for
> >> Windows Update issues, this support no longer applies to Win98.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Panel>Add/Remove

update

Jim

Re: q823559
I just went to [Other Options] Personalize and ran a "custom" scan and
q823559 did not come up!

> No, I have never had to reinstall win98se or IE.
>
> The scan was the Welcome page scan. I do not see the "custom" scan. I do

see
> [Other Options] \View| Personalize| Support. Is this what you mean by
> "custom", to Personalize Windows Update?
>
> It is listed in the View Installation History several times, each time it
> states the install was successful.
>
> Initially the Update site did offer other updates (6) in all, of which
> q823559 was one.
>
> I have not tried the manual update since q823559 is already there.

> > By any chance and at any point in the past, have you had occasion to (1)
> > reinstall Win98 (2) without having first uninstalled IE6 via Add/Remove
> > Programs?
> >
> > If you go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select CUSTOM and scan,

> is
> > KB823559 (or Q823559) offered (again)? Is it listed in the Update

History
> > section and if so, does this listing indicate a Successful install?

Does
> > Windows Update offer you any other security updates?
> >
> > Have you tried to install KB823559 manually per my previous reply?
> >
> > Jim wrote:
> > > It was an error. I was supposed to repair IE and instead I went into
> > > Control
> > > Panel>Add\Remove and D-clicked IE. I then refreshed my memory of the
> > > Advanced option on reinstate previous version and clicked ok instead

of
> > > cancel to exit. The application uninstalled and reinstalled the

previous
> > > version 5. At this point I went to MS Support and DL the MSIEv.6 and
> > > reinstalled it. Next I went to WindowsUpdate to check for critical

> updates
> > > and installed all of which q823559 was one. I have left Windows

Critical
> > > Update on and the next day a prompt for critical update. Upon checking

> > > found the offer of q823559 again. After running the install again I

> check
> > > with initial scan and again the prompt shows up...This is in Control

> Panel
> > > as a windows security update. Is it possible that the scanner is

wrong?

link,

> install

Windows
> 98

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-b6e020348569

for

> Panel>Add/Remove

(823559)

> update

Re: q823559
1. If Q823559 is listed in Add/Remove Programs, Uninstall it & reboot.

2. Download this installer, saving it to your desktop for convenience (do
NOT Run it):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-b6e020348569

3. Physically disconnect the machine from the internet.

4. Disable your anti-virus application.

5. Double-click on the saved file to install Q823559.

6. Reboot twice.

7. Reconnect the machine to the internet and see if Windows Update offers
Q823559 again.

The above notwithstanding:

I'd strongly recommend uninstalling notoriously buggy and
no-longer-supported "Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification" via
Add/Remove Programs. Support for Win98 ended over 2 years ago and no Win98
updates have been released since then and none will ever be released.
Should you have occasion to reinstall Win98 (after having first uninstalled
IE6) and need to get the machine fully patched again, simply
download/install IE6 SP1 manually and then go to Windows Update website.

Given that mysterious IE6 business to which you referred in an earlier reply
to this thread, I'd also strongly recommend Overinstalling IE6 SP1:

First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer (includes
your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline). Start |
Run | (type in) IE6Setup.exe | [OK]. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all
the parts you use (e.g., Outlook Express) but none that you didn't
originally download, and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot
the computer.

Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
Windows Update for additional updates and patches you may need.
--
~PA Bear

Jim wrote:
> No, I have never had to reinstall win98se or IE.
>
> The scan was the Welcome page scan. I do not see the "custom" scan. I do
> see
> [Other Options] \View| Personalize| Support. Is this what you mean by
> "custom", to Personalize Windows Update?
>
> It is listed in the View Installation History several times, each time it
> states the install was successful.
>
> Initially the Update site did offer other updates (6) in all, of which
> q823559 was one.
>
> I have not tried the manual update since q823559 is already there.

>> By any chance and at any point in the past, have you had occasion to (1)
>> reinstall Win98 (2) without having first uninstalled IE6 via Add/Remove
>> Programs?
>>
>> If you go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select CUSTOM and scan,
>> is
>> KB823559 (or Q823559) offered (again)? Is it listed in the Update
>> History
>> section and if so, does this listing indicate a Successful install? Does
>> Windows Update offer you any other security updates?
>>
>> Have you tried to install KB823559 manually per my previous reply?
>>
>> Jim wrote:
>>> It was an error. I was supposed to repair IE and instead I went into
>>> Control
>>> Panel>Add\Remove and D-clicked IE. I then refreshed my memory of the
>>> Advanced option on reinstate previous version and clicked ok instead of
>>> cancel to exit. The application uninstalled and reinstalled the previous
>>> version 5. At this point I went to MS Support and DL the MSIEv.6 and
>>> reinstalled it. Next I went to WindowsUpdate to check for critical
>>> updates
>>> and installed all of which q823559 was one. I have left Windows Critical
>>> Update on and the next day a prompt for critical update. Upon checking I
>>> found the offer of q823559 again. After running the install again I
>>> check
>>> with initial scan and again the prompt shows up...This is in Control
>>> Panel
>>> as a windows security update. Is it possible that the scanner is wrong?

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-b6e020348569

Re: q823559
Then ignore most of my last reply.

Jim wrote:
> I just went to [Other Options] Personalize and ran a "custom" scan and
> q823559 did not come up!
>
> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> No, I have never had to reinstall win98se or IE.
>>
>> The scan was the Welcome page scan. I do not see the "custom" scan. I do
>> see [Other Options] \View| Personalize| Support. Is this what you mean by
>> "custom", to Personalize Windows Update?
>>
>> It is listed in the View Installation History several times, each time it
>> states the install was successful.
>>
>> Initially the Update site did offer other updates (6) in all, of which
>> q823559 was one.
>>
>> I have not tried the manual update since q823559 is already there.

>>> By any chance and at any point in the past, have you had occasion to (1)
>>> reinstall Win98 (2) without having first uninstalled IE6 via Add/Remove
>>> Programs?
>>>
>>> If you go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select CUSTOM and scan,
>>> is KB823559 (or Q823559) offered (again)? Is it listed in the Update
>>> History section and if so, does this listing indicate a Successful
>>> install? Does Windows Update offer you any other security updates?
>>>
>>> Have you tried to install KB823559 manually per my previous reply?

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-b6e020348569

Re: q823559
To clarify, do NOT ignore the below:

<snip>