Cannot update Vista

Heather

Cannot update Vista
when I try to do an update it open for a flash then vanishes. I had Norton
360 on the computer (came with it) and uninstalled it (another problem
because I cannot install my new Norton Internet security 2008). I really
want to update Vista but have no idea how. Currently have Zone Alarm basic
but the problem is the same before and after Zone installed. Any ideas? I
am a novice user.

Re: Cannot update Vista
1. Download this tool, saving it to your desktop:

2. Right-click on the saved file and select "Run as Administrator"

3. Reboot.

4. Does the update problem persist?

5. What anti-virus application is installed now?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Heather wrote:
> when I try to do an update it open for a flash then vanishes. I had
> Norton
> 360 on the computer (came with it) and uninstalled it (another problem
> because I cannot install my new Norton Internet security 2008). I really
> want to update Vista but have no idea how. Currently have Zone Alarm
> basic
> but the problem is the same before and after Zone installed. Any ideas?
> am a novice user.

Heather

Re: Cannot update Vista
Thanks, I just ran that and I still cannot open windows update. I don't have
an anti-virus on at the moment as I was hoping the updated Vista might help
with getting Norton back on. Perhaps now the Norton Internet Security 2008
will work (Do you think I need to uninstall Zone Alarm before I try to
intsall Norton?)
Any other ideas on Updaate? Wen I look at properties on update under
shortct under "advanced" the box "run it a seperate memory space" is ticked.
It cannot be unticked. Is this anything?
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Download this tool, saving it to your desktop:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>
> 2. Right-click on the saved file and select "Run as Administrator"
>
> 3. Reboot.
>
> 4. Does the update problem persist?
>
> 5. What anti-virus application is installed now?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Heather wrote:
> > when I try to do an update it open for a flash then vanishes. I had
> > Norton
> > 360 on the computer (came with it) and uninstalled it (another problem
> > because I cannot install my new Norton Internet security 2008). I really
> > want to update Vista but have no idea how. Currently have Zone Alarm
> > basic
> > but the problem is the same before and after Zone installed. Any ideas?
> > am a novice user.

Re: Cannot update Vista
How long have you been running without an anti-virus application installed?

I would NOT attempt to reinstall NIS 2008 at this juncture. If and when you
choose to do so, NIS 2008 includes its own firewall and should automatically
disable the Windows Firewall when it's installed.

Heather wrote:
> Thanks, I just ran that and I still cannot open windows update. I don't
> have an anti-virus on at the moment as I was hoping the updated Vista
> might
> help with getting Norton back on. Perhaps now the Norton Internet
> Security
> 2008 will work (Do you think I need to uninstall Zone Alarm before I try
> intsall Norton?)
> Any other ideas on Updaate? Wen I look at properties on update under
> shortct under "advanced" the box "run it a seperate memory space" is
> ticked.
> It cannot be unticked. Is this anything?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> 1. Download this tool, saving it to your desktop:
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>>
>> 2. Right-click on the saved file and select "Run as Administrator"
>>
>> 3. Reboot.
>>
>> 4. Does the update problem persist?
>>
>> 5. What anti-virus application is installed now?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Heather wrote:
>>> when I try to do an update it open for a flash then vanishes. I had
>>> Norton
>>> 360 on the computer (came with it) and uninstalled it (another problem
>>> because I cannot install my new Norton Internet security 2008). I
>>> really
>>> want to update Vista but have no idea how. Currently have Zone Alarm
>>> basic
>>> but the problem is the same before and after Zone installed. Any ideas?
>>> am a novice user.

Heather

Re: Cannot update Vista
Just 1 day. Also, I just ran McAfee from their web site and no problems were
detected. I'm sure not sure I like this Vista.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> How long have you been running without an anti-virus application installed?
>
> I would NOT attempt to reinstall NIS 2008 at this juncture. If and when you
> choose to do so, NIS 2008 includes its own firewall and should automatically
> disable the Windows Firewall when it's installed.
>
> Heather wrote:
> > Thanks, I just ran that and I still cannot open windows update. I don't
> > have an anti-virus on at the moment as I was hoping the updated Vista
> > might
> > help with getting Norton back on. Perhaps now the Norton Internet
> > Security
> > 2008 will work (Do you think I need to uninstall Zone Alarm before I try
> > intsall Norton?)
> > Any other ideas on Updaate? Wen I look at properties on update under
> > shortct under "advanced" the box "run it a seperate memory space" is
> > ticked.
> > It cannot be unticked. Is this anything?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> 1. Download this tool, saving it to your desktop:
> >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> >>
> >> 2. Right-click on the saved file and select "Run as Administrator"
> >>
> >> 3. Reboot.
> >>
> >> 4. Does the update problem persist?
> >>
> >> 5. What anti-virus application is installed now?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Cannot update Vista
[Personally, I wouldn't install a Norton application on any machine, let
alone Vista.]

There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

Heather wrote:
> Just 1 day. Also, I just ran McAfee from their web site and no problems
> were detected. I'm sure not sure I like this Vista.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> How long have you been running without an anti-virus application
>> installed?
>>
>> I would NOT attempt to reinstall NIS 2008 at this juncture. If and when
>> you choose to do so, NIS 2008 includes its own firewall and should
>> automatically disable the Windows Firewall when it's installed.
>>
>> Heather wrote:
>>> Thanks, I just ran that and I still cannot open windows update. I don't
>>> have an anti-virus on at the moment as I was hoping the updated Vista
>>> might
>>> help with getting Norton back on. Perhaps now the Norton Internet
>>> Security
>>> 2008 will work (Do you think I need to uninstall Zone Alarm before I try
>>> intsall Norton?)
>>> Any other ideas on Updaate? Wen I look at properties on update under
>>> shortct under "advanced" the box "run it a seperate memory space" is
>>> ticked.
>>> It cannot be unticked. Is this anything?

Heather

Re: Cannot update Vista
Thanks for the info. Why would you not use Norton and what do you suggest I
use?