Why is Vista 64 so Slow ? - so unstable ?

paulmknight

Why is Vista 64 so Slow ? - so unstable ?
Hi, since installing the recommended updates, my system is extremely slow.
Sometimes I have to wait for thirty minutes before I can do anything. Before
I installed the updates Vista ultimate was very quick. I have re-installed
Vista four times now, last time I had to buy a new sata drive as the system
told me it couldn't format the old drive, which was only a few weeks old. I
have all the updated drivers for my hardware, Vista compatible or dedicated
everything. Does anyone else have the same problem with Vista updates ? My
system is so unstable I'm beginning to get used to the blue screen. I'm
having to put all my work, pictures - anything I download or want to keep on
a separate drive just in case this one gets ruined. Any suggestions please.

Re: Why is Vista 64 so Slow ? - so unstable ?
Vista-specific newsgroups include:

microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unts_passwords
microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_vide o
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

paulmknight wrote:
> Hi, since installing the recommended updates, my system is extremely slow.
> Sometimes I have to wait for thirty minutes before I can do anything.
> Before
> I installed the updates Vista ultimate was very quick. I have re-installed
> Vista four times now, last time I had to buy a new sata drive as the
> system
> told me it couldn't format the old drive, which was only a few weeks old.
> have all the updated drivers for my hardware, Vista compatible or
> dedicated
> everything. Does anyone else have the same problem with Vista updates ? My
> system is so unstable I'm beginning to get used to the blue screen. I'm
> having to put all my work, pictures - anything I download or want to keep
> on
> a separate drive just in case this one gets ruined. Any suggestions
> please.

Ato_Zee

Re: Why is Vista 64 so Slow ? - so unstable ?

> Does anyone else have the same problem with Vista updates ? My
> system is so unstable I'm beginning to get used to the blue screen. I'm
> having to put all my work, pictures - anything I download or want to keep
> on
> a separate drive just in case this one gets ruined. Any suggestions
> please.

Do what others in the same situation are doing, abandon
Vista, it's increasingly disfunctional with each update.
Out of the box - programs would't install, printer no drivers,
USB wireless dongle not supported, after update sound
disappeared, getting slower and slower all the time.
UAC a pain in the arse, "sure you really want to do this all
the time". It's crap.
Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Re: Why is Vista 64 so Slow ? - so unstable ?
Interesting I have exactly opposite experience.

We have deployed Vista 32 and 64 bit and it's been extremely stable,
drivers all work.

Now can you help this person and give some better ideas?

"It's crap" is not of help.

I would look to see what drivers you have installed.

What's the specs of this machine.

Can you find the .dmp file on the box and send me a copy?

Blue screen is a true sign that a third party driver is the culprit.

Ato_Zee wrote:
>> Does anyone else have the same problem with Vista updates ? My
>> system is so unstable I'm beginning to get used to the blue screen. I'm
>> having to put all my work, pictures - anything I download or want to keep
>> on
>> a separate drive just in case this one gets ruined. Any suggestions
>> please.

> Do what others in the same situation are doing, abandon
> Vista, it's increasingly disfunctional with each update.
> Out of the box - programs would't install, printer no drivers,
> USB wireless dongle not supported, after update sound
> disappeared, getting slower and slower all the time.
> UAC a pain in the arse, "sure you really want to do this all
> the time". It's crap.

N. Miller

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 08:10:25 GMT, Ato_Zee wrote:

>> Does anyone else have the same problem with Vista updates ? My
>> system is so unstable I'm beginning to get used to the blue screen. I'm
>> having to put all my work, pictures - anything I download or want to keep
>> on a separate drive just in case this one gets ruined. Any suggestions
>> please.

> Do what others in the same situation are doing, abandon
> Vista, it's increasingly disfunctional with each update.
> Out of the box - programs would't install, printer no drivers,
> USB wireless dongle not supported, after update sound
> disappeared, getting slower and slower all the time.
> UAC a pain in the arse, "sure you really want to do this all
> the time". It's crap.

I have not had that experience. I've seen Vista at work on three computers,
and the only one which has any "slowness" is on a dial-up connection. Put it
on a fast broadband connection and it would be as fast as the other two.

Have you checked for malware? Getting infected with a ton of malware will
slow *any* computer down.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
Jeep

"paulmknight" wrote:

> Hi, since installing the recommended updates, my system is extremely slow.
> Sometimes I have to wait for thirty minutes before I can do anything. Before
> I installed the updates Vista ultimate was very quick. I have re-installed
> Vista four times now, last time I had to buy a new sata drive as the system
> told me it couldn't format the old drive, which was only a few weeks old. I
> have all the updated drivers for my hardware, Vista compatible or dedicated
> everything. Does anyone else have the same problem with Vista updates ? My
> system is so unstable I'm beginning to get used to the blue screen. I'm
> having to put all my work, pictures - anything I download or want to keep on
> a separate drive just in case this one gets ruined. Any suggestions please.

Jeep

RE: Why is Vista 64 so Slow ? - so unstable ?
Its slow because it is a pile of Junk..i have one I know so good luck with
it..sure wish i had my XP back that was a Computer now...i sure can feel your
pain.