error code 80070436

cgbates56 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
error code 80070436
I recently tried to install windows update for ATI4379 Serial ATA controller. The error stated that a driver already had this "name" and aborted. Any fixes on this? Looking for online help only gives generic troubleshooting hints.

Thanks

Re: error code 80070436
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

cgbates56 wrote:
> I recently tried to install windows update for ATI4379 Serial ATA
> controller. The error stated that a driver already had this "name" and
> aborted. Any fixes on this? Looking for online help only gives generic
> troubleshooting hints.

cgbates56 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: error code 80070436
[quote='PA Bear [MS MVP];1007340']Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.
AumHa VSOP & Admin AumHa Forums
DTS-L Welcome to DTS-L

OK, I just assumed that since this is a Vista Community, that it would go without saying.

I currently am using Vista SP1 on an Acer Aspire 5100 with 1 GB RAM and 32 bit operating system.

Can someone help me with my original question? Thanks.
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: error code 80070436
cgbates56 wrote:

> 'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
>
>>;1007340']Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista
>>SP1) when
>>posting to this newsgroup, please.
>>--
>>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>>AumHa VSOP & Admin 'AumHa Forums' (http://aumha.net)
>>DTS-L 'Welcome to DTS-L' (http://dts-l.net/)
>>
>>OK, I just assumed that since this is a Vista Community, that it would
>>go without saying.
>>
>>I currently am using Vista SP1 on an Acer Aspire 5100 with 1 GB RAM and
>>32 bit operating system.
>>
>>Can someone help me with my original question? Thanks.

Strongly suggest you visit the Acer web site to see if there is a more
recent driver and *if* Acer provides instructions on how to install it:
http://global.acer.com/support/download.htm

HTH,

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
ArnoHamel

Re: error code 80070436
My computer is also an Acer 5100 etc... and the first update for ATI4379
Serial ATA controller didn't install. The second and third updates
(2007/07/07 and 2007/12/07) installed normally and the last update
(2008/09/09) didn't install for five attempts.

My question is, where Microsoft gets this drivers and why they install
sometimes and sometimes not...

When the actual driver works fine, why update? There must be a reason.

Silicon Image states: "Silicon Image's designs and develops chips which are
used on many boards, built by many different manufacturers. These
manufacturers develop the drivers, firmware and software for their boards.
Therefore, Silicon Image is unable to support these products. Please contact
the manufacturer."

So I put the question again: Where Microsoft gets this drivers? Is there an
automated system that grabs the drivers at each computer manufacturer for any
model and send it to each registered user?

Besides this, the referred update is sometimes labeled as optional and
sometimes as recommended.

Should I try to install tis update? Is it worth all the work?

Can anybody help me? Thanks!!!

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> >>I currently am using Vista SP1 on an Acer Aspire 5100 with 1 GB RAM and
> >>32 bit operating system.

> Strongly suggest you visit the Acer web site to see if there is a more
> recent driver and *if* Acer provides instructions on how to install it:
> http://global.acer.com/support/download.htm
>
> HTH,
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

cgbates56 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: error code 80070436
This is getting ridiculous. Acer offers no help whatsoever and I have been working with Microsoft for almost 3 weeks. Whenever I list the problem, I get a response that re-iterates the problem and then asks if "they" understand the problem correctly. This really slows things down. I the drive update came from Microsoft, so they must know what the problem is, they just don't seem to know how to fix it. This weekend they sent me a disk that was supposed to expedite the repair, but despite following their step by step instructions, nothing was fixed. This was the details of the problem (that I sent to Microsoft):

Problem Event Name Startup Repair V2
Problem Signature 01 Auto Failover
02 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.1800
03 5
04 458758
05 Bad Patch
06 Bad Patch
07 0
08 1
09 System Restore
10 0
OS Version 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID 1033

Is there anyone out there that can help speed this up. Vista will not start, i.e. my notebook has become a doorstop.

Thanks