KB936181

Hi
My windows update keep downloading and installing KBKB936181 continously.
In one day this happened 14 times!!!
Is there any solution??

Engel

RE: KB936181
Have a look at:

Have you checked the Known Issues -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
Update or on Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

Good luck
-=-

"KB936181" wrote:

> Hi
> My windows update keep downloading and installing KBKB936181 continously.
> In one day this happened 14 times!!!
> Is there any solution??

LCI

RE: KB936181
I used the following tutorial to fix the KB936181 update problem:

http://www.lancelhoff.com/2008/08/23...tall-kb936181/
Bill Sharpe

Re: KB936181
LCI wrote:
> I used the following tutorial to fix the KB936181 update problem:
>
> http://www.lancelhoff.com/2008/08/23...tall-kb936181/

Been there, done that, didn't work.
For the moment, at least, I just unchecked this update from the list of
update files.
If another solution is available, I'm open to suggestions.

Bill
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB936181
Boot to Safe Mode and rename msxml4.dll from a Command Prompt.
The repeated offer to reinstall KB936181 is caused by printer software
locking msxml4.dll while in normal Windows mode. IOW, it can not be
replaced.
Hiding this update does nothing but put the system at Risk.
MS offers no-charge support in getting Security updates installed.
If booting to Safe Mode does not resolve the installation issue then
*strongly* suggest you contact them:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-042 - Critical
Vulnerability in Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code
Execution
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-042.mspx

> Support
> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product Support
> Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with security
> updates.
> • International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no
> charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more information about how to
> contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Bill Sharpe wrote:

> LCI wrote:
>
>> I used the following tutorial to fix the KB936181 update problem:
>>
>> http://www.lancelhoff.com/2008/08/23...tall-kb936181/
>>

> Been there, done that, didn't work.
> For the moment, at least, I just unchecked this update from the list of
> update files.
> If another solution is available, I'm open to suggestions.
>
> Bill

Bill Sharpe

Re: KB936181
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> Boot to Safe Mode and rename msxml4.dll from a Command Prompt.
> The repeated offer to reinstall KB936181 is caused by printer software
> locking msxml4.dll while in normal Windows mode. IOW, it can not be
> replaced.
> Hiding this update does nothing but put the system at Risk.
> MS offers no-charge support in getting Security updates installed.
> If booting to Safe Mode does not resolve the installation issue then
> *strongly* suggest you contact them:
>
> Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-042 - Critical
> Vulnerability in Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code
> Execution
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-042.mspx
>
>> Support
>> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
>> Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no
>> charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
>> • International customers can receive support from their local
>> Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is
>> associated with security updates. For more information about how to
>> contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support
>> Web site.
>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Bill Sharpe wrote:
>
>> LCI wrote:
>>
>>> I used the following tutorial to fix the KB936181 update problem:
>>>
>>> http://www.lancelhoff.com/2008/08/23...tall-kb936181/
>>>

>> Been there, done that, didn't work.
>> For the moment, at least, I just unchecked this update from the list
>> of update files.
>> If another solution is available, I'm open to suggestions.
>>
>> Bill

I'll give the safe mode approach a try, but renaming msxml4.dll to
msxml4.old did work. The manual update supposedly completed, but when I
went to shut down the computer the system wanted to install the update
again. Thanks!

Bill

Bill
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB936181
Bill Sharpe wrote:

> I'll give the safe mode approach a try, but renaming msxml4.dll to
> msxml4.old did work. The manual update supposedly completed, but when I
> went to shut down the computer the system wanted to install the update
> again. Thanks!
>
> Bill

Do not install the automatically downloaded update rather, make sure
that it's *not* listed in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel
first. If it is, Remove it, and reboot to Safe Mode with Networking and
rename msxml4.dll from a Command Prompt.
Download the update from here and save it:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den

After renaming msxml4.dll from a Command Prompt in Safe Mode, reboot to
normal Windows mode and install msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe .

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
Bill Sharpe

Re: KB936181
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> Bill Sharpe wrote:
>
>> I'll give the safe mode approach a try, but renaming msxml4.dll to
>> msxml4.old did work. The manual update supposedly completed, but when
>> I went to shut down the computer the system wanted to install the
>> update again. Thanks!
>>
>> Bill
>>

> Do not install the automatically downloaded update rather, make sure
> that it's *not* listed in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel
> first. If it is, Remove it, and reboot to Safe Mode with Networking and
> rename msxml4.dll from a Command Prompt.
> Download the update from here and save it:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
>

> After renaming msxml4.dll from a Command Prompt in Safe Mode, reboot to
> normal Windows mode and install msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe .
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

A belated thanks!

Bill
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB936181
Glad to hear the update finally installed, Bill.
You're mowst welcome <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten