windows XP service pack 3

granny

windows XP service pack 3
Step 1 of installation completed but then stopped installing. My other
programs stopped working i.e corel paintshop, internet browser during
installation, so I reboot again. My husbands computer was a total mess after
installation so he did a system recovery. How can I cancell the installation
as it is doing it automattically. Being from the older generations, we are
not computer experts and don't want to struggle with stuff that's not working.
Shenan Stanley

Re: windows XP service pack 3
granny wrote:
> Step 1 of installation completed but then stopped installing. My
> other programs stopped working i.e corel paintshop, internet
> browser during installation, so I reboot again. My husbands
> computer was a total mess after installation so he did a system
> recovery. How can I cancell the installation as it is doing it
> automattically. Being from the older generations, we are not
> computer experts and don't want to struggle with stuff that's not
> working.

....and those who are not 'from the older generations' _do_ want to 'struggle
with stuff that's not working'?

Windows XP SP3 does work fine... In some rare cases, the computer in
question already has issues that Windows XP SP3 will exasperate.
Spyware/Adware infestations, AntiVirus applicatins that cause either a
lengthening of the time to install or freeze it all together, old hardware
drivers that are incompatible with SP3 or just a bad initial installation by
the company the computer was opriginally purchased from.

As far as 'cancelling' the installation - turn off Automatic Updates and
start doing things manually. You know - the 'old fashioned way'. *grin*

*AFTER* turning off Automatic Updates, once a month - after the second
Tuesday of each month - open up Internet Explorer and visit
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and do a CUSTOM scan for updates and
install the critical ones. You can skip SP3 there for a while (sooner or
later you will need SP3 to install further updates for Windows XP.)

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

The above link will explain how to turn off Automatic Updates.

If you desire to install Windows XP SP3 - then you may need to do some
things in order to clean up your specific system and prepare your specific
system for the proper installation of Windows XP SP3. It's not too
difficult, the steps are fairly straight forward and I always look at it
like, "If you decide you are too old to learn and put effort into something
in order to do so - you're already dead."

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: windows XP service pack 3
How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/