Winlogon error after SP3 installation

Alan Wilson

Winlogon error after SP3 installation
The update to XP SP3 seemed to go fine, but then on restarting I got
Winlogon.exe encountered a problem and needed to close
Hard boot: same again.
Hard boot: same again, but this time Windows then loaded apparently normally.
Now each time the PC is restarted, I get that error, then it seems to load
fine.
How can I cure that error? None of the KB articles referred to in other
similar threads mention this.

Thanks!
TaurArian

Re: Winlogon error after SP3 installation
Does uninstalling SP3 fix the problem?

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Where to get assistance:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid
until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy, visit the
Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is
available only in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP
issues, visit the Help and Support site at
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173, and then choose
your product.

.. US:

.. CA:

.. UK:

.. AU:

.. Other:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173
select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Alan Wilson" <AlanWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The update to XP SP3 seemed to go fine, but then on restarting I got
> Winlogon.exe encountered a problem and needed to close
> Hard boot: same again.
> Hard boot: same again, but this time Windows then loaded apparently
> normally.
> Now each time the PC is restarted, I get that error, then it seems to load
> fine.
> How can I cure that error? None of the KB articles referred to in other
> similar threads mention this.
>
> Thanks!

Alan Wilson

Re: Winlogon error after SP3 installation
I'm very reluctant to uninstall SP3 since it is now running, albeit with the
winlogon error message on boot. I suspec t that uninstalling will be fine,
but then on re-installation the same will occur.

Alan
TaurArian

Re: Winlogon error after SP3 installation
Then perhaps the 2nd option -