Windows Update wont stop!??!!

Ryan

Windows Update wont stop!??!!
My automatic updates just keep popping up and downloading and installing the
same security update. There are no errors amd it says its successful every
time but then the shield just pops up again to reinstall the same update.
Muzafar Ganie

RE: Windows Update wont stop!??!!

Hi Ryan,

Follow the steps to fix the issue

click on Start->run-> type the "services.msc" in run windows and then click
on ok

Then stop the following three services

(Right click on the service and select stop one by one)

1 Automatic updates
2 Background intelligent transfer service
3 Cryptographic service
Close the services windows

step 2:
Rename the two folders "Catroot2 and software distribution" from
c:\windows\system32
to catroot2.old and softwaredistribution.old

Close all the windows

step3

Start the following three service again

click on Start->run-> type the "services.msc" in run windows and then click
on ok

Then stop the following three services

(Right click on the service and select start one by one)

1 Automatic updates
2 Background intelligent transfer service
3 Cryptographic service
Close the services windows

check the system date and time also

Restart the computer and perform the windows updates.
Hopefully that will fix the issue

Muzafar

Godzilla

RE: Windows Update wont stop!??!!
Ryan,

Are you getting the same update over and over again for "Security Update
for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)?" I have also
been getting that for some time now.

Muzafar,

I am more than a little iffy about renaming Subfolders folders of my
Windows folder. You say "Hopefully that will fix the issue," I am just
curious as to what exactly those folders contain. I am just looking for more
information, and while I have no problem editing subfolders for video games,
my OS is something I am more nervous about.
Muzafar Ganie

RE: Windows Update wont stop!??!!
These folders contain the windows update history.its always recommended to
rename the folders when update are being reoffered. However you issue is
different .

You can follow the article to fix the issue with Microsoft XML Core Services
4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

Muzafar

"Godzilla" wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> Are you getting the same update over and over again for "Security Update
> for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)?" I have also
> been getting that for some time now.
>
> Muzafar,
>
> I am more than a little iffy about renaming Subfolders folders of my
> Windows folder. You say "Hopefully that will fix the issue," I am just
> curious as to what exactly those folders contain. I am just looking for more
> information, and while I have no problem editing subfolders for video games,
> my OS is something I am more nervous about.

Godzilla

RE: Windows Update wont stop!??!!
Muzafar,

Yeah, I actually just found that thread in another search I did. Thanks
for your help though!

Gordon

Re: Windows Update wont stop!??!!
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

What update?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ryan wrote:
> My automatic updates just keep popping up and downloading and installing
> the
> same security update. There are no errors amd it says its successful every
> time but then the shield just pops up again to reinstall the same update.

yt

RE: Windows Update wont stop!??!!
I have been experiencing the VERY SAME problem! Did you try Muzafar's
solution? That sounds pretty involved for the true neophyte I be. This
problem arose a few months ago for me, then I shut down the "automatic
update" option. (not the right answer) It's doing the same thing now.

"Ryan" wrote:

> My automatic updates just keep popping up and downloading and installing the
> same security update. There are no errors amd it says its successful every
> time but then the shield just pops up again to reinstall the same update.

Grzegorz Szymanski

RE: Windows Update wont stop!??!!