How To Fix Windows Update [BITS/AU]

Mike

How To Fix Windows Update [BITS/AU]
This is for anyone who's having trouble with WU (BITS/AU):
http://castlecops.com/t106642-How_To...y_Edited..html
-or-
http://www.castlecops.com/postlite106642-.html
[I wrote it -- I would have posted the entire set of
instructions here, but I wasn't sure if I could upload
the Zip file with the Registry fixes on this N.G., so
anyone could subsequently download it. However,
the necessary File ready for downloading, along with the
lengthy instructions, are all located at the above link.]

If the above link doesn't work, go to:
http://castlecops.com/
Click "Forums" right below the Castlecops logo,
then go to the "General Computer Problems" Forum
(2nd one down), click on it and look for the Topic called:
"How To Fix Windows Update (BITS/AU)".

[As of THIS writing (9/24/08 6:41 PM EST),
it was on the 1st page (on top) and the 'Last Post'
was made on Tue. Sep. 2, 2008 at 1:34 PM -
I've added a new step in my last post on the 15th
page, because you can't Edit original posts anymore.]

If you're not a member and want to register for a
free account, go to:
http://castlecops.com/
[Look on the bottom of the Login box on the right side
and click where it says:
"Click here to create a registered account" (and follow
the instructions from there).]

Hope it helps somebody here (it sure seemed like it did at CC)...
[Three and a half years later and it's received over 183,200 hits,
over 21,800 downloads, 224 replies and hundreds of responses,
suggestions, additions, questions and "thank you's," so I guess it's
helped a few people at least...]

sbc

RE: How To Fix Windows Update [BITS/AU]
Wow .. I am going to go download what you said .. because this is horrible ..
I get NO error message number anymore .. just constantly repeating the
process of

Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed
on your computer. To continue

And around and around and around I go. I even got a Norton 360 guy from
India to see if my Norton was blocking it somehow. Yes it is after SP3
update and after the Internet Explorer 8 Beta download and install and after
Windows Live Messenger 7 or something like that ... (I don't need Windows
Live Messenger because I do not instant message but I guess this is what MSN
Mail requires ..... )

Anyway I am sorry that I am still posting that I am trying out a new fix ...
and I appreciate what you have put here .. I just hope it is NOT 15 pages
long .. gulp

"Mike" wrote:

> This is for anyone who's having trouble with WU (BITS/AU):
> http://castlecops.com/t106642-How_To...y_Edited..html
> -or-
> http://www.castlecops.com/postlite106642-.html
> [I wrote it -- I would have posted the entire set of
> instructions here, but I wasn't sure if I could upload
> the Zip file with the Registry fixes on this N.G., so
> anyone could subsequently download it. However,
> the necessary File ready for downloading, along with the
> lengthy instructions, are all located at the above link.]
>
> If the above link doesn't work, go to:
> http://castlecops.com/
> Click "Forums" right below the Castlecops logo,
> then go to the "General Computer Problems" Forum
> (2nd one down), click on it and look for the Topic called:
> "How To Fix Windows Update (BITS/AU)".
>
> [As of THIS writing (9/24/08 6:41 PM EST),
> it was on the 1st page (on top) and the 'Last Post'
> was made on Tue. Sep. 2, 2008 at 1:34 PM -
> I've added a new step in my last post on the 15th
> page, because you can't Edit original posts anymore.]
>
> If you're not a member and want to register for a
> free account, go to:
> http://castlecops.com/
> [Look on the bottom of the Login box on the right side
> and click where it says:
> "Click here to create a registered account" (and follow
> the instructions from there).]
>
> Hope it helps somebody here (it sure seemed like it did at CC)...
> [Three and a half years later and it's received over 183,200 hits,
> over 21,800 downloads, 224 replies and hundreds of responses,
> suggestions, additions, questions and "thank you's," so I guess it's
> helped a few people at least..

sbc

RE: How To Fix Windows Update [BITS/AU]
Mike!
I am going thru your well written out steps ... hoping one of these will
make the difference and get my computer working again with Windows Update!
BUT I am on step 3e which is the following:
______________________________________

e. You MAY ALSO have to do the above with:

%WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\Download
(Which is: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

and you are saying to delete the Download folder ... and I have already
deleted the files in the All Users Profile\Application
Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader ...

they were not extensive .... BUT this last of deleting the "Download" folder
... I looked inside and it looks like the SP3 update backup is in there .....
Is that what is in there? Well there is more than that I realize but is it
truly alright to delete the WHOLE folder ... I won't be deleting the SP3
update right? Sorry for the fear ... I guess I can reinstall that too ...
wherever it is ... but hey .. I won't be able to download it via Windows
Update .. that's for sure ...

Well anyway I like the fact you have given out so many steps to go thru
because heavens knows I have tried everything and I need all of the options I
can find. I am NOT getting any error number anymore ... just the constant
re-asking to go thru Windows Updating of files and doing that and copying
them and reinstalling them in the registry .. etc. etc. .. over and over and
over again . . . .

Anyway if deleting the download folder will help .. and it won't harm ... I
am about to do it. Thank you again for posting all of the links to Castle
Cops and this whole page you have written out.