Genuine Advantage not required?

BC

Genuine Advantage not required?
Hello,

I am running winxp sp3. I logged in on an administrator account and
connected to the windows update site to download the OE update 938464. The
site offered and I accepted new windows update software. Then the regular
pattern seemed to change. I was expecting to get a genuine advantage check
d/l, but the next screen showed a list of available updates - one of which
was the genuine advantage file.

I had re-installed windows with an imageing program and that usually
triggers the re-installation of genuine advantage.

Several of the updates offered were not security updates (the daylight
savings update, for one). I thought that genuine advantage had to be
installed before you could get more than the security updates. Has there
been a change in the policy or did I just loose a few more brain cells last
weekend?

Bill Cranor

Michael Jennings

Re: Genuine Advantage not required?
They're pushing Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
again - they had given up shoving that one at people a while ago. It is not
WGA - you passed that before WU would show you any updates.
WGAN can be rejected at WU by unchecking it, then putting a check in the
"Don't show this update again" checkbox. You'll then need to live with the
"(!) Important You've hidden important updates" notice at WU. They used
to sneak WGAN out towards the end of the month - not with the regular
run - and not allow unwary users who accepted it to uninstall it. Google it:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Windo...e+Notification

"BC" <nomail@wontbedelivered> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am running winxp sp3. I logged in on an administrator account and connected
> to the windows update site to download the OE update 938464. The site offered
> and I accepted new windows update software. Then the regular pattern seemed to
> change. I was expecting to get a genuine advantage check d/l, but the next
> screen showed a list of available updates - one of which was the genuine
> advantage file.
>
> I had re-installed windows with an imageing program and that usually triggers
> the re-installation of genuine advantage.
>
> Several of the updates offered were not security updates (the daylight savings
> update, for one). I thought that genuine advantage had to be installed before
> you could get more than the security updates. Has there been a change in the
> policy or did I just loose a few more brain cells last weekend?
>
> Bill Cranor

Shenan Stanley

BC wrote:
> I am running winxp sp3. I logged in on an administrator account and
> connected to the windows update site to download the OE update
> 938464. The site offered and I accepted new windows update
> software. Then the regular pattern seemed to change. I was
> expecting to get a genuine advantage check d/l, but the next screen
> showed a list of available updates - one of which was the genuine
> advantage file.
> I had re-installed windows with an imageing program and that usually
> triggers the re-installation of genuine advantage.
>
> Several of the updates offered were not security updates (the
> daylight savings update, for one). I thought that genuine
> advantage had to be installed before you could get more than the
> security updates. Has there been a change in the policy or did I
> just loose a few more brain cells last weekend?

I am confused. You got what you expected - right? Everything worked,
right?

"I was expecting to get a genuine advantage check d/l, but the next screen
showed a list of available updates - one of which was the genuine advantage
file.'

Expected and received...?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Genuine Advantage not required?
> ...The site offered and I accepted new windows update software.

That was an updated version of a WGA-related ActiveX Control. This ActiveX
Control must be installed to be able to use Windows Update website.

> ...the next screen showed a list of available updates - one of which
> was the genuine advantage file.

That would be KB905474 (WGA Notifications tool), which is also frequently
updated. Installing KB905474 and/or updated versions of same remains 100%
optional.

Automatic Updates does NOT require or depend on either of the above.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

BC wrote:
> I am running winxp sp3. I logged in on an administrator account and
> connected to the windows update site to download the OE update 938464.
> The
> site offered and I accepted new windows update software. Then the regular
> pattern seemed to change. I was expecting to get a genuine advantage
> check
> d/l, but the next screen showed a list of available updates - one of which
> was the genuine advantage file.
>
> I had re-installed windows with an imageing program and that usually
> triggers the re-installation of genuine advantage.
>
> Several of the updates offered were not security updates (the daylight
> savings update, for one). I thought that genuine advantage had to be
> installed before you could get more than the security updates. Has there
> been a change in the policy or did I just loose a few more brain cells
> last
> weekend?
>
> Bill Cranor

Michael Jennings

Re: Genuine Advantage not required?
Freudi's KB905474-Uninstaller.exe remains available at patch-info.de,
under the old "ohne Gewähr" terms - no guarantee, it gets rid of it.
http://patch-info.de/artikel/2008/09/23/560#extended
WGA Notifications wasn't at WU yesterday when I checked, but it was
there today. I didn't install it, but I did grab Freudi's tool just in case.

>> ...The site offered and I accepted new windows update software.

> That was an updated version of a WGA-related ActiveX Control. This ActiveX
> Control must be installed to be able to use Windows Update website.
>
>> ...the next screen showed a list of available updates - one of which
>> was the genuine advantage file.

> That would be KB905474 (WGA Notifications tool), which is also frequently
> updated. Installing KB905474 and/or updated versions of same remains 100%
> optional.
>
> Automatic Updates does NOT require or depend on either of the above.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> BC wrote:
>> I am running winxp sp3. I logged in on an administrator account and
>> connected to the windows update site to download the OE update 938464. The
>> site offered and I accepted new windows update software. Then the regular
>> pattern seemed to change. I was expecting to get a genuine advantage check
>> d/l, but the next screen showed a list of available updates - one of which
>> was the genuine advantage file.
>>
>> I had re-installed windows with an imageing program and that usually
>> triggers the re-installation of genuine advantage.
>>
>> Several of the updates offered were not security updates (the daylight
>> savings update, for one). I thought that genuine advantage had to be
>> installed before you could get more than the security updates. Has there
>> been a change in the policy or did I just loose a few more brain cells last
>> weekend?
>>
>> Bill Cranor

Re: Genuine Advantage not required?
I think that uninstaller hasn't worked since KB905474 was first updated,
Michael. YMMV.

Michael Jennings wrote:
> Freudi's KB905474-Uninstaller.exe remains available at patch-info.de,
> under the old "ohne Gewähr" terms - no guarantee, it gets rid of it.
> http://patch-info.de/artikel/2008/09/23/560#extended
> WGA Notifications wasn't at WU yesterday when I checked, but it was
> there today. I didn't install it, but I did grab Freudi's tool just in
> case.

>>> ...The site offered and I accepted new windows update software.

>> That was an updated version of a WGA-related ActiveX Control. This
>> ActiveX
>> Control must be installed to be able to use Windows Update website.
>>
>>> ...the next screen showed a list of available updates - one of which
>>> was the genuine advantage file.

>> That would be KB905474 (WGA Notifications tool), which is also frequently
>> updated. Installing KB905474 and/or updated versions of same remains
>> 100%
>> optional.
>>
>> Automatic Updates does NOT require or depend on either of the above.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> BC wrote:
>>> I am running winxp sp3. I logged in on an administrator account and
>>> connected to the windows update site to download the OE update 938464.
>>> The
>>> site offered and I accepted new windows update software. Then the
>>> regular
>>> pattern seemed to change. I was expecting to get a genuine advantage
>>> check d/l, but the next screen showed a list of available updates - one
>>> of which was the genuine advantage file.
>>>
>>> I had re-installed windows with an imageing program and that usually
>>> triggers the re-installation of genuine advantage.
>>>
>>> Several of the updates offered were not security updates (the daylight
>>> savings update, for one). I thought that genuine advantage had to be
>>> installed before you could get more than the security updates. Has there
>>> been a change in the policy or did I just loose a few more brain cells
>>> last weekend?
>>>
>>> Bill Cranor

BC

"Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message

> They're pushing Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
> again - they had given up shoving that one at people a while ago. It is
> not
> WGA - you passed that before WU would show you any updates.

Ahhh... that is the file that you _run_ to tell you that your Windows is
pirate. I thought they had switched WGA from a required d/l to an optional
d/l.

>> I had re-installed windows with an imageing program and that usually
>> triggers the re-installation of genuine advantage.

> I am confused. You got what you expected - right? Everything worked,
> right?

> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

I was the one that was confused -- as I usually am. I can't remember any
other time that ghosting Windows back on to the hard disk did not tirgger
the re-installation of WGA.

Michael Jennings

Re: Genuine Advantage not required?
I don't feel like testing it either, but I guess now I'm obligated.
Morgan, morgan, nur nicht heute, sagen alle faulen leute.
Perhaps I'll try the likely failed experiment next week.

>I think that uninstaller hasn't worked since KB905474 was first updated,
>Michael. YMMV.
>
> Michael Jennings wrote:
>> Freudi's KB905474-Uninstaller.exe remains available at patch-info.de,
>> under the old "ohne Gewähr" terms - no guarantee, it gets rid of it.
>> http://patch-info.de/artikel/2008/09/23/560#extended
>> WGA Notifications wasn't at WU yesterday when I checked, but it was
>> there today. I didn't install it, but I did grab Freudi's tool just in case.

Michael Jennings

Re: Genuine Advantage not required?
Hey, PA Bear - you can believe in KB905474-Uninstaller.exe!
I ran BootItNG to shrink 35GB XP sp3 on C: into 20GB of image files.
Well, C: is backed up now. Then, after accepting KB905474 at WU,
it turned out that Freudi's file got rid of the latest WGA Notifications.
It works like it used to, with DOS boxes and a long count down alarm
box for the reboot. The program reported success, and WU offered
KB905474 again. I'm not as lazy as I thought. You were wrong.

>I don't feel like testing it either, but I guess now I'm obligated.
> Morgan, morgan, nur nicht heute, sagen alle faulen leute.
> Perhaps I'll try the likely failed experiment next week.

>>I think that uninstaller hasn't worked since KB905474 was first updated,
>>Michael. YMMV.
>>
>> Michael Jennings wrote:
>>> Freudi's KB905474-Uninstaller.exe remains available at patch-info.de,
>>> under the old "ohne Gewähr" terms - no guarantee, it gets rid of it.
>>> http://patch-info.de/artikel/2008/09/23/560#extended
>>> WGA Notifications wasn't at WU yesterday when I checked, but it was
>>> there today. I didn't install it, but I did grab Freudi's tool just in case.

Ottmar Freudenberger

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> schrieb:
> Michael Jennings wrote:
>> Freudi's KB905474-Uninstaller.exe remains available at patch-info.de,
>> under the old "ohne Gewähr" terms - no guarantee, it gets rid of it.
>> http://patch-info.de/artikel/2008/09/23/560#extended
>> WGA Notifications wasn't at WU yesterday when I checked, but it was
>> there today. I didn't install it, but I did grab Freudi's tool just in
>> case.

> I think that uninstaller hasn't worked since KB905474 was first updated,
> Michael. YMMV.

Ehm, it worked ever since and it still does. Where's your impression
of non-functionality coming from?

Bye,
Freudi