Windows update doesnt work.

Azeem

Windows update doesnt work.
Hi there. I am using Windows XP and I am unable to download and install the
updates for my operating system. When I try to download the updates from the
Microsoft Windows Updates site, it is giving me the error no: 0x8DDD0018.

The updates doesnt download from the automatic updates as well. Please
help me update my Operating system/windows coz I need Windows XP Service Pack
3 to download Norton Antivirus.

I would really appreciate any help on this. Thank you very much
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows update doesnt work.
Azeem wrote:
> I am using Windows XP and I am unable to download and
> install the updates for my operating system. When I try to download
> the updates from the Microsoft Windows Updates site, it is giving
> me the error no: 0x8DDD0018.
>
> The updates doesnt download from the automatic updates as well.
> Please help me update my Operating system/windows coz I need
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 to download Norton Antivirus.
>
> I would really appreciate any help on this. Thank you very much

For your Updates issues:
----------------------------------
First thing to try:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

Second thing to try:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

Third thing to try:
Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.

Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
many ways (as well as some of the third.)

And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

For your Norton AntiVirus choice:
My suggestion is to choose something else - especially if you understated
and you are *not* only installing Norton AntiVirus - but some suite of
theirs. AVG is a fine AntiVirus Package and is free.

( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

avast! (Free and up)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://free.grisoft.com/

eset NOD32 (~$39.00 and up)
http://www.eset.com/products/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/kaspersky_anti-virus

Panda Antivirus (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ons/antivirus/
(Free Online Scanner:
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows update doesnt work.
See if this helps:

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or
the "0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the
Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

BTW, Norton AV is *not* compatible with Windows. Save yourself major
grief and either install AntiVir or Avast, both *free*, as they do a
better job of protecting the system AND, do not behave as viral code,
like NAV does.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Azeem wrote:

> Hi there. I am using Windows XP and I am unable to download and install the
> updates for my operating system. When I try to download the updates from the
> Microsoft Windows Updates site, it is giving me the error no: 0x8DDD0018.
>
> The updates doesnt download from the automatic updates as well. Please
> help me update my Operating system/windows coz I need Windows XP Service Pack
> 3 to download Norton Antivirus.
>
> I would really appreciate any help on this. Thank you very much

Azeem

Re: Windows update doesnt work.
Thank you very much for your reply Mowgreen. The main problem I have is that
theres a virus on my comp and i want to take it out thats why i wanted to
download norton antivirus. Could you please gimme the links of the AntiVir
or Avast you are talking about so that i can download them and get rid of the
virus? thanx very much again.

PS: I already followed the steps on error code page but when i try to follow
the steps i was getting error 1058 while turning ON the Automatic updates
option.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> See if this helps:
>
> You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or
> the "0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the
> Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337
>
> BTW, Norton AV is *not* compatible with Windows. Save yourself major
> grief and either install AntiVir or Avast, both *free*, as they do a
> better job of protecting the system AND, do not behave as viral code,
> like NAV does.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Azeem wrote:
>
> > Hi there. I am using Windows XP and I am unable to download and install the
> > updates for my operating system. When I try to download the updates from the
> > Microsoft Windows Updates site, it is giving me the error no: 0x8DDD0018.
> >
> > The updates doesnt download from the automatic updates as well. Please
> > help me update my Operating system/windows coz I need Windows XP Service Pack
> > 3 to download Norton Antivirus.
> >
> > I would really appreciate any help on this. Thank you very much

Re: Windows update doesnt work.
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Azeem wrote:
> Hi there. I am using Windows XP and I am unable to download and install
> the
> updates for my operating system. When I try to download the updates from
> the
> Microsoft Windows Updates site, it is giving me the error no: 0x8DDD0018.
>
> The updates doesnt download from the automatic updates as well. Please
> help me update my Operating system/windows coz I need Windows XP Service
> Pack 3 to download Norton Antivirus.
>
> I would really appreciate any help on this. Thank you very much

Re: Windows update doesnt work.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware