SP3 install/uninstall/"locked IE7"

Peg

SP3 install/uninstall/"locked IE7"
After installing/uninstalling XP SP3, IE7 will not connect to the internet
for any address even with ALL security disabled EXCEPT it works just fine in
"safe mode".
IE7 seems to be "locked" by the uninstall process, e.g. the default page
(go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005) cannot be changed by the IE7 tool.

As a child of the rotary telephone I have limited search/fixing skills...
and I fear that I have used a wrecking ball on MS XP Home.

-- XP Home Edition, Windows Update (request permission before update), NO
Windows Restore backups

Re: SP3 install/uninstall/"locked IE7"
Option A:

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

==========================

Option B:

=========================

Option C:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Peg wrote:
> After installing/uninstalling XP SP3, IE7 will not connect to the internet
> for any address even with ALL security disabled EXCEPT it works just fine
> in
> "safe mode".
> IE7 seems to be "locked" by the uninstall process, e.g. the default page
> (go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005) cannot be changed by the IE7 tool.
>
> As a child of the rotary telephone I have limited search/fixing skills...
> and I fear that I have used a wrecking ball on MS XP Home.
>
> -- XP Home Edition, Windows Update (request permission before update), NO
> Windows Restore backups

Shenan Stanley

Peg wrote:
> After installing/uninstalling XP SP3, IE7 will not connect to the
> internet for any address even with ALL security disabled EXCEPT it
> works just fine in "safe mode".
> IE7 seems to be "locked" by the uninstall process, e.g. the default
> page (go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005) cannot be changed by
> the IE7 tool.
>
> As a child of the rotary telephone I have limited search/fixing
> skills... and I fear that I have used a wrecking ball on MS XP Home.
>
> -- XP Home Edition, Windows Update (request permission before
> update), NO Windows Restore backups

How about - with SP2 in place and no SP3 yet - you install Internet Explorer
7 over itself? Thereby replacing any bum files, etc... I would also
suggest resetting all Internet Explorer settings to their defaults.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Hope that helps and hope you come back here to let us know!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP