Windows Update Not Working

BillMc

Windows Update Not Working
OS: Vista Home Premium
Windows Update has not worked since 7/19/08. Also, cannot search for
updates. The updates work for Defender, Word, Visio and other production
apps but not Windows. The last successful Windows updates were on 7/19/08:
KB929300; KB110806 and KB955020.

When I reboot I receive the error that Windows Modules Intaller has stopped
working. I can stop the repeating error messages by changing WMI to Manual
and Start it but then I can't restart, stop or pause it--it's like it isn't
working at all. Then it changes itself to Automatic and it says it's started
but I don't think it is because I still can't restart, stop or pause it and I
can't install.

I've tried downloading updates manually and installing them (KB951072 and
KB953839-the ones that fail every night) but they will not install. From
searching on the web I thought the issue might be with corrupt install of
KB110806 but I can't uninstall it. Anyway, even if I could I don't think I
could reinstall it.

Apps installed immediately after 7/19/08 are Switch (NCH Software); M4P MP3
Converter 1.0; Daniusoft Media Converter Pro(Build 2.2.2); Freecord Toolbar
3.02 Application (Applian Technologies Inc.); Flypaper (Flypaper Studio,
Inc.); 7-Zip 4.57. All were installed between 7/19 and 7/24.

I also cannot install Paint.net v3.35 and the Paint.net forum says it's
because Windows Modules Installer isn't working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Windows Update Not Working

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456) if
possible.

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

BillMc wrote:
> OS: Vista Home Premium
> Windows Update has not worked since 7/19/08. Also, cannot search for
> updates. The updates work for Defender, Word, Visio and other production
> apps but not Windows. The last successful Windows updates were on
> 7/19/08:
> KB929300; KB110806 and KB955020.
>
> When I reboot I receive the error that Windows Modules Intaller has
> stopped
> working. I can stop the repeating error messages by changing WMI to
> Manual
> and Start it but then I can't restart, stop or pause it--it's like it
> isn't
> working at all. Then it changes itself to Automatic and it says it's
> started but I don't think it is because I still can't restart, stop or
> pause it and I can't install.
>
> I've tried downloading updates manually and installing them (KB951072 and
> KB953839-the ones that fail every night) but they will not install. From
> searching on the web I thought the issue might be with corrupt install of
> KB110806 but I can't uninstall it. Anyway, even if I could I don't think
> could reinstall it.
>
> Apps installed immediately after 7/19/08 are Switch (NCH Software); M4P
> MP3
> Converter 1.0; Daniusoft Media Converter Pro(Build 2.2.2); Freecord
> Toolbar
> 3.02 Application (Applian Technologies Inc.); Flypaper (Flypaper Studio,
> Inc.); 7-Zip 4.57. All were installed between 7/19 and 7/24.
>
> I also cannot install Paint.net v3.35 and the Paint.net forum says it's
> because Windows Modules Installer isn't working.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

BillMc

Re: Windows Update Not Working
Thank You. I've submitted a support incident request.