Registry errors when installing SP3

RichardMGreen

Registry errors when installing SP3
Hi All

Apologies for the duplicate post, I think I posted it in the wrong section
before.
I'm trying to install SP3 over the top of SP2 on an AMD machine. It will
backup so far and then gives me the following errors when trying to backup
the registry :-
Cannot back up registry key HKCR\.DVR-MS
and if I ignore that I get
Cannot backup registry value HKCR\.DVR-MS,\'Perceived type, video\'

I've tried several times and am now out of ideas.
Anyone offer any help?

Re: Registry errors when installing SP3
> I'm trying to install SP3 over the top of SP2 on an AMD machine...

• Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other
than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP
Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356

• Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors:
Go to www.hp.com | Search for "sp37394.exe" (w/out quotes) | Should take you
to this download page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

Otherwise...

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RichardMGreen wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Apologies for the duplicate post, I think I posted it in the wrong section
> before.
> I'm trying to install SP3 over the top of SP2 on an AMD machine. It will
> backup so far and then gives me the following errors when trying to backup
> the registry :-
> Cannot back up registry key HKCR\.DVR-MS
> and if I ignore that I get
> Cannot backup registry value HKCR\.DVR-MS,\'Perceived type, video\'
>
> I've tried several times and am now out of ideas.
> Anyone offer any help?

RichardMGreen

Re: Registry errors when installing SP3
Hi

I've confirmed that all necessary other updates have been applied before
trying to install SP3.
I've downloaded the installation package (316MB) and tried installing again,
only to get the same error messages.

Anyone?

Richard

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > I'm trying to install SP3 over the top of SP2 on an AMD machine...

> • Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other
> than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP
> Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356
>
> • Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors:
> Go to www.hp.com | Search for "sp37394.exe" (w/out quotes) | Should take you
> to this download page:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN
>
> Otherwise...
>
> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Registry errors when installing SP3
Repost:

RichardMGreen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've confirmed that all necessary other updates have been applied before
> trying to install SP3.
> I've downloaded the installation package (316MB) and tried installing
> again,
> only to get the same error messages.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Richard
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>> I'm trying to install SP3 over the top of SP2 on an AMD machine...

>> • Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other
>> than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP
>> Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356
>>
>> • Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD
>> processors:
>> Go to www.hp.com | Search for "sp37394.exe" (w/out quotes) | Should take
>> you to this download page:
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN
>>
>> Otherwise...
>>
>> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> "Windows
>> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RichardMGreen

Re: Registry errors when installing SP3
Hi

I've contacted Microsoft to get their advice and am now awaiting some sort
of fix and advice from them.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Repost:
> > How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
> >
> > WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >
> > Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> > Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> > e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> > XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

> RichardMGreen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've confirmed that all necessary other updates have been applied before
> > trying to install SP3.
> > I've downloaded the installation package (316MB) and tried installing
> > again,
> > only to get the same error messages.
> >
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Richard

> >> • Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other
> >> than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP
> >> Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E":
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356
> >>
> >> • Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD
> >> processors:
> >> Go to www.hp.com | Search for "sp37394.exe" (w/out quotes) | Should take
> >> you to this download page:
> >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN
> >>
> >> Otherwise...
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
> >>
> >> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >>
> >> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> >> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> >> "Windows
> >> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Registry errors when installing SP3
Please let us know how you make out, Richard.