Machine hangs as soon as the LiveUpdate service starts

Kerry Stares

Machine hangs as soon as the LiveUpdate service starts
I have not been able to update my Win XP Professional system since the WUA
3.0 was installed. I just tried the install of KB927891 and WUA 3.0 again and
I get the same sympton in that the machine stops. Looking at the system event
log the last thing to start was the LiveUpdate service. Disk activity stops
and the system is un-responsive. The only way I can get it to run again is to
revert to a restore point prior to the instal of KB927891. I would like to
get the latest updates on the machine. Any suggestions as to what is wrong
and how I can resolve this update issue.
--
Kerry
David B.

Re: Machine hangs as soon as the LiveUpdate service starts
The liveupdate service belongs to Norton AV I believe, contact them for
support, or even better, get rid of norton and switch to a less system
intrusive, resource hogging piece of bloatware.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"Kerry Stares" <KerryStares@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have not been able to update my Win XP Professional system since the WUA
> 3.0 was installed. I just tried the install of KB927891 and WUA 3.0 again
> and
> I get the same sympton in that the machine stops. Looking at the system
> event
> log the last thing to start was the LiveUpdate service. Disk activity
> stops
> and the system is un-responsive. The only way I can get it to run again is
> revert to a restore point prior to the instal of KB927891. I would like to
> get the latest updates on the machine. Any suggestions as to what is wrong
> and how I can resolve this update issue.
> --
> Kerry

Re: Machine hangs as soon as the LiveUpdate service starts
> ...Looking at the system
> event log the last thing to start was the LiveUpdate service.

Did you mean Automatic Update service? LiveUpdate belongs to a Norton
application: What Norton application might be installed? If none, was one
every installed (e.g., preinstalled on a new machine when you bought it)?

Otherwise...

Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

Had you (recently) reinstalled WinXP?

Try Resolution Method 2 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144.

If no joy, download/run Eddie Bowers' [MSFT] AURESET tool (be patient &
allow the tool to run; may take 20 minutes or more):
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263.

If still no joy, What anti-virus application or security suite is installed?
What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
firewall (if any)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Kerry Stares wrote:
> I have not been able to update my Win XP Professional system since the WUA
> 3.0 was installed. I just tried the install of KB927891 and WUA 3.0 again
> and I get the same sympton in that the machine stops. Looking at the
> system
> event log the last thing to start was the LiveUpdate service. Disk
> activity
> stops and the system is un-responsive. The only way I can get it to run
> again is to revert to a restore point prior to the instal of KB927891. I
> would like to get the latest updates on the machine. Any suggestions as to
> what is wrong and how I can resolve this update issue.

Kerry Stares

Re: Machine hangs as soon as the LiveUpdate service starts
>> ...Looking at the system
>> event log the last thing to start was the LiveUpdate service.

>Did you mean Automatic Update service? LiveUpdate belongs to a Norton
>application: What Norton application might be installed? If none, was one
>every installed (e.g., preinstalled on a new machine when you bought it)?

I looked back at the System event log and on the failure I was originally
referencing LiveUpdate was the last thing to start but just ahead of the
Automatic Update service. On subsequent failures its either the Remote Access
Connection Manager or the WMI Performance adapter. It may just be timing and
whatever is causing the hang has started some time before. The one consistent
feature is if I install the WUA 3.1 the machine stops. Back it out using a
restore point and the machine is fine

The machine is Win XP Professional Version 2002 SP2. "About Windows" says
Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254 : Service Pack 2)

Its not a new install - couple of years at least. I did apply high severity
updates until the WUA 3.1 issue arose as per KB927891.

Tried method2 from kb/943144 but that is just the WUA 3.1 that I had already
tried via KB927891. Anyway tried it again with the same symptons - machine
hung couple of minutes after install.

Ran AURESET which install WUA 3.1 again - script got as far as "dumping MGA
settings" before hanging.

I am running a corporate edition of Symantec anti-virus and firewall.
Although this is a home machine I am permitted to use this corportate version
on it.

When the mchine stops responding the mouse is still active as I can move it
around but if I click on something it bleeps and then the mouse is dead as
well.

If anyone has any other odeas about tracking this problem down I would
really appreciate it.

Thanks
Kerry

Re: Machine hangs as soon as the LiveUpdate service starts
Open a free support incident.