facing problem while installing KB898461

Ananomous

facing problem while installing KB898461
while installing KB898461 under windows XP SP3 genuine OS, facing following
error.

The System cannot find the path specified.

I have installed the fresh copy of XP SP3 but facing problem while
installing this update. Could anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Re: facing problem while installing KB898461
<QP>
APPLIES TO

• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
</QP>
Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898461

Why are you attempting to install KB898461 in WinXP *SP3*?

If you just (re)installed WinXP, installed WinXP SP3 manually and find that
updates are failing to install, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ananomous wrote:
> while installing KB898461 under windows XP SP3 genuine OS, facing
> following
> error.
>
> The System cannot find the path specified.
>
> I have installed the fresh copy of XP SP3 but facing problem while
> installing this update. Could anyone help me?
>
> Thanks in advance

MowGreen [MVP]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> <QP>
> APPLIES TO
>
> • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
> </QP>
> Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898461
>
> Why are you attempting to install KB898461 in WinXP *SP3*?
>
> If you just (re)installed WinXP, installed WinXP SP3 manually and find
> that updates are failing to install, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Because it was offered via AU|WU|MU ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
>> <QP>
>> APPLIES TO
>>
>> • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
>> </QP>
>> Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898461
>>
>> Why are you attempting to install KB898461 in WinXP *SP3*?
>>
>> If you just (re)installed WinXP, installed WinXP SP3 manually and find
>> that updates are failing to install, see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

> Because it was offered via AU|WU|MU ?

OP didn't say that, BroMow, and KB898461 doesn't say it's available via
AUWUMU.
--
~PAÞ
www.moo.mvp

Ananomous

Re: facing problem while installing KB898461
Thanks for quick reply.
I have installed SLP copy of windows XP SP3 Professional edition & turn on
Automatic updates option. I Know that this update is for WIndows XP SP1 &
SP2. But still Automatic updates option downloads & try to install this
update. I do not know why this happens. As it fails to install this update,
every time further updates installation get aborted & Every time it downloads
& try to install this update only.

Please help.
Thanks in advance

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> > PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> >
> >> <QP>
> >> APPLIES TO
> >>
> >> • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
> >> </QP>
> >> Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898461
> >>
> >> Why are you attempting to install KB898461 in WinXP *SP3*?
> >>
> >> If you just (re)installed WinXP, installed WinXP SP3 manually and find
> >> that updates are failing to install, see
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

> > Because it was offered via AU|WU|MU ?

> OP didn't say that, BroMow, and KB898461 doesn't say it's available via
> AUWUMU.
> --
> ~PAÞ
> www.moo.mvp

Re: facing problem while installing KB898461
If you've installed WinXP with slipstreamed SP3 and Automatic Updates is
offering you KB898461, I'd guess that something's wrong with either the
slipstreamed disc or your computer.

1. If you've not done Resolution Method 2 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 yet, please do so now.

2. Next: Start | Run | (type) winver | OK: What do the results say?

3. Go to Windows Update | Install any required software then click on
CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical security updates
offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update.]

4. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

5. Tell us if KB898461 was offer by Windows Update website.
--
~PA Bear

Ananomous wrote:
> Thanks for quick reply.
> I have installed SLP copy of windows XP SP3 Professional edition & turn on
> Automatic updates option. I Know that this update is for WIndows XP SP1 &
> SP2. But still Automatic updates option downloads & try to install this
> update. I do not know why this happens. As it fails to install this
> update,
> every time further updates installation get aborted & Every time it
> downloads & try to install this update only.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> <QP>
> APPLIES TO
>
> • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
> </QP>
> Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898461
>
> Why are you attempting to install KB898461 in WinXP *SP3*?
>
> If you just (re)installed WinXP, installed WinXP SP3 manually and find
> that
> updates are failing to install, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> Ananomous wrote:
>> while installing KB898461 under windows XP SP3 genuine OS, facing
>> following error.
>>
>> The System cannot find the path specified.
>>
>> I have installed the fresh copy of XP SP3 but facing problem while
>> installing this update. Could anyone help me?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: facing problem while installing KB898461
First try Method 1 here, as PABear has *previously* recommended:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

The installation issue may only be related to the registering of
wups2.dll. If no joy, try installing the Windows Update Agent using
/wuforce from a Command Prompt if a message appears stating that the WUA
is already installed - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Move the downloaded WUA to the root drive, usually C:\. The below is the
commands when the WUA being installed is for x86 Versions of Windows and
it is located at C:\ -

Start > Run > type cmd
Click OK or press Enter
At the prompt type in the following pressing Enter after each command

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
net start bits
net start wuauserv
exit

If *still* no joy, then open the KB898461.log located in the WINDOWS
directory and post it's contents in your reply, please.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Ananomous wrote:
> Thanks for quick reply.
> I have installed SLP copy of windows XP SP3 Professional edition & turn on
> Automatic updates option. I Know that this update is for WIndows XP SP1 &
> SP2. But still Automatic updates option downloads & try to install this
> update. I do not know why this happens. As it fails to install this update,
> every time further updates installation get aborted & Every time it downloads
> & try to install this update only.
>
> Please help.
> Thanks in advance
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>

>>MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

>>>Because it was offered via AU|WU|MU ?

>>OP didn't say that, BroMow, and KB898461 doesn't say it's available via
>>AUWUMU.
>>--
>>~PAÞ
>>www.moo.mvp

Stefan Kanthak

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you've installed WinXP with slipstreamed SP3 and Automatic Updates is
> offering you KB898461, I'd guess that something's wrong with either the
> slipstreamed disc or your computer.

NO, there is NOTHING wrong with a slipstreamed XP SP3 when the installed
system shows that behaviour: KB898461 is NOT contained in SP3, despite
what http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/en-us/ (List of fixes that
are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3) tells.

The same holds for KB922120, KB932716, KB936782 (not needed for WMP9),
KB929399 (not needed for WMP9), ...

Do I have to mention KB923689, which is not listed in 946480 and missing
from SP3, which but contains the outdated KB913433 (listed in 946480)
instead?
Or that the contents of KB898461 are WAY older than the respective files
which are part of the SP3 (KB936929)?

SP3 was NOT accurately composed, nor 946480 accurately written.

[...]

Stefan

Stefan Kanthak

Re: facing problem while installing KB898461
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

> MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>
>>> <QP>
>>> APPLIES TO
>>>
>>> . Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
>>> </QP>
>>> Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898461
>>>
>>> Why are you attempting to install KB898461 in WinXP *SP3*?
>>>
>>> If you just (re)installed WinXP, installed WinXP SP3 manually and find
>>> that updates are failing to install, see
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

>> Because it was offered via AU|WU|MU ?

> OP didn't say that, BroMow, and KB898461 doesn't say it's available via
> AUWUMU.

KB898461 IS available via AUWUMU for XP SP3!
Just check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199/en-us/ and scroll down
to the second last entry added on May 27, 2008!

Stefan

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Stefan Kanthak wrote:

> NO, there is NOTHING wrong with a slipstreamed XP SP3 when the installed
> system shows that behaviour: KB898461 is NOT contained in SP3, despite
> what http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/en-us/ (List of fixes that
> are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3) tells.
>
> The same holds for KB922120, KB932716, KB936782 (not needed for WMP9),
> KB929399 (not needed for WMP9), ...

Did you use the feedback form at the bottom of KB946480 to report this to
Microsoft? My experience is that they're fairly responsive to corrections.

Harry.