RE: SOLUTION to the .net "failed to install" update

The Muffin Man

RE: SOLUTION to the .net "failed to install" update
ty so much georgef you so rock i knew something strange happened cuz my
antivirous zapped something then my computer started acting stupid. lol then
i couldnt do this update. if it wernt for you i would be throughing my
computer out of the window then running it over with my truck :P again ty <3
mandi

"georgef" wrote:

> Folks - I don't remember who posted the below (I shall not take credit), but
> this worked for me. The "George" in the signature line below, is another
> George, not me.
>
> ====================
>
> Here is EXACTLY what you do to solve this problem for Windows XP 32
> bit. If you happen to have a rarer 64 bit version, server OS, or
> SOMETHING else follow the same general instructions but get the
> version of the files appropriate for your system but first, Microsoft
> has pissed me off beyond belief. I looked in my log and this same
> thing happened 6/2006...thanks MSFT for torturing us again this year.
> I thought it was a familiar feeling...nice branding...this is a huge
> humiliation for their .NET team in my opinion or perhaps we should
> start calling them the .NOT team...anyway....
>
> Steps:
> 1) Go to the control panel and select the add/remove software tool
> then TRY and remove everything with .NET in the name. If you can
> remove everything go to step 3. If you cannot remove everything go to
> step 2.
>
> 2) Go and download the windows installer clean up tool at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
>
> run the windows installer clean up tool and BE CAREFUL to only select
> the .NET items from the list and remove them. Note: this will likely
> leave the names as "dead links" in the Add/Remove Software list
> (ahhh ...Microsoft thoroughness at its best) but not to worry they
> will do no harm and will get fixed when we finish. It's possible to
> clean them up but let's stay out of the registry :-)
>
> 3) Go and get the file "dotnetfx.exe" this is ".NET 1.1" from:

> install it.
>
> 4) Go and get the file "NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe" this is the ".NET
> 1.1 service pack 1" from: my personal website (JUST KIDDING,
> RELAX...get everything of course from a microsoft.com domain)

> install it.
>
> 5) Install the SECURITY patch, the dreaded KB928366, we have all grown
> to hate. You can install it from the Windows Update program (be sure
> to ONLY select the KB928366 patch and NOTHING else, we dont want to
> put back 2.0 or 3.0 yet). It's OK go ahead and click ...it will be
> alright...you can do it...it's just one more time... :-)
>
> 6) Re-run the Windows Update and you can add back in .NET 2.0 and 3.0
>
> 7) Post to thank me...
>
> Now WHY hasn't Microsoft posted instructions yet? .... What is UP?!
>
> Good night!
>
> George

MowGreen [MVP]

The Muffin Man wrote:

> ty so much georgef you so rock i knew something strange happened cuz my
> antivirous zapped something then my computer started acting stupid. lol then
> i couldnt do this update. if it wernt for you i would be throughing my
> computer out of the window then running it over with my truck :P again ty <3
> mandi
>
> "georgef" wrote:
>

>>Folks - I don't remember who posted the below (I shall not take credit), but
>>this worked for me. The "George" in the signature line below, is another
>>George, not me.
>>
>>====================
>>
>>Here is EXACTLY what you do to solve this problem for Windows XP 32
>>bit. If you happen to have a rarer 64 bit version, server OS, or
>>SOMETHING else follow the same general instructions but get the
>>version of the files appropriate for your system but first, Microsoft
>>has pissed me off beyond belief. I looked in my log and this same
>>thing happened 6/2006...thanks MSFT for torturing us again this year.
>>I thought it was a familiar feeling...nice branding...this is a huge
>>humiliation for their .NET team in my opinion or perhaps we should
>>start calling them the .NOT team...anyway....

<snip>

Are you serious ? There are *NUMEROUS* MSKB articles on .NET
runtime/service pack/update installation issues that apparently, you
were not clever enough to locate.
Instead of getting mad at MS perhaps you should learn how to locate
their KB articles, .NUT.

Error message when you try to install the .NET Framework 1.1 Service
Pack 1 Update from the Windows Update site on a Windows XP-based
computer: "Updates were unable to be successfully installed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922377

How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824643/

PRB: Installation of .NET Framework Fails and Requires Manual Removal
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320112

When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0,
3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or
Windows Installer error code "1603"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY