Microsoft Update fails to install.

Charles W Davis

Microsoft Update fails to install.
My problem is that recently when closing Office Outlook 2007 on my Windows
Vista Ultimate system I have noticed that I get a message that Outlook
2007 did not close correctly and that the data file is being checked for
errors.

I went to Outlook's Help drop down menu and chose Office Diagnostics.
After the system completed its process, I learned that Office has not been
updated...

When I go to Windows Update (Windows is up to date) and Click on Get
updates for more products button, it takes me to the Microsoft site to Try
Microsoft Update today, I click on the Start Now button, I then receive
the following:

[Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If
you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to
User Accounts in Control Panel.

Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system
administrator for help with updates.

On the newsgroups, I found a reference to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524

I have performed Methods 1 thru 4, with no positive results.
Method 5 results in an "access denied" message.

Method 6 also provides nothing positive.

TaurArian

RE: Microsoft Update fails to install.
Change your settings on your computer to "get more products" or something
like that from "Windows Updates".

You cannot visit the WU website in Vista.

See:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...dowsvista.mspx
--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"Charles W Davis" wrote:

> My problem is that recently when closing Office Outlook 2007 on my Windows
> Vista Ultimate system I have noticed that I get a message that Outlook
> 2007 did not close correctly and that the data file is being checked for
> errors.
>
> I went to Outlook's Help drop down menu and chose Office Diagnostics.
> After the system completed its process, I learned that Office has not been
> updated...
>
> When I go to Windows Update (Windows is up to date) and Click on Get
> updates for more products button, it takes me to the Microsoft site to Try
> Microsoft Update today, I click on the Start Now button, I then receive
> the following:
>
> [Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
> To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
> administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If
> you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to
> User Accounts in Control Panel.
>
> Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
> might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system
> administrator for help with updates.
>
> On the newsgroups, I found a reference to:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
>
> I have performed Methods 1 thru 4, with no positive results.
> Method 5 results in an "access denied" message.
>
> Method 6 also provides nothing positive.

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft Update fails to install.
Charles, it appears that you're still trying to access the website.

The changes must be made on your computer in Vista.

Once the change is made on your computer you should then be able to check
for Office updates.

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Charles W Davis" wrote:

> Taur,
>
> Thanks for the response. I can get to step 3 on the web page referenced, and
> then the message:
> [Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
> To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
> administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If
> you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User
> Accounts in Control Panel.
>
> Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
> might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system administrator
> for help with updates.
>

> It is attempting to install Microsoft Update...
>

> "TaurArian" <taurarian@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Change your settings on your computer to "get more products" or something
> > like that from "Windows Updates".
> >
> > You cannot visit the WU website in Vista.
> >
> > See:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...dowsvista.mspx
> > --
> > --------------------------------
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
> > Update Services
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> >

> > "Charles W Davis" wrote:
> >
> >> My problem is that recently when closing Office Outlook 2007 on my
> >> Windows
> >> Vista Ultimate system I have noticed that I get a message that Outlook
> >> 2007 did not close correctly and that the data file is being checked for
> >> errors.
> >>
> >> I went to Outlook's Help drop down menu and chose Office Diagnostics.
> >> After the system completed its process, I learned that Office has not
> >> been
> >> updated...
> >>
> >> When I go to Windows Update (Windows is up to date) and Click on Get
> >> updates for more products button, it takes me to the Microsoft site to
> >> Try
> >> Microsoft Update today, I click on the Start Now button, I then receive
> >> the following:
> >>
> >> [Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
> >> To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
> >> administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer.
> >> If
> >> you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to
> >> User Accounts in Control Panel.
> >>
> >> Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
> >> might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system
> >> administrator for help with updates.
> >>
> >> On the newsgroups, I found a reference to:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
> >>
> >> I have performed Methods 1 thru 4, with no positive results.
> >> Method 5 results in an "access denied" message.
> >>
> >> Method 6 also provides nothing positive.

Charles W Davis

Re: Microsoft Update fails to install.
Taur,

Once again, I thank you for your respones, but:

In the web page that you referenced, everytime instance the instructions
almost always either take you to the Internet or a subsequent step takes you
to the Internet: "Open Windows Update (click the Start Start button button,
click All Programs, and then click Windows Update)."

What specific actions do you suggest. What change on my computer?

> Charles, it appears that you're still trying to access the website.
>
> The changes must be made on your computer in Vista.
>
> Once the change is made on your computer you should then be able to check
> for Office updates.

> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Charles W Davis" wrote:
>
>> Taur,
>>
>> Thanks for the response. I can get to step 3 on the web page referenced,
>> and
>> then the message:
>> [Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
>> To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
>> administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer.
>> If
>> you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to
>> User
>> Accounts in Control Panel.
>>
>> Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
>> might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system
>> administrator
>> for help with updates.
>>

>> It is attempting to install Microsoft Update...
>>

>> "TaurArian" <taurarian@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Change your settings on your computer to "get more products" or
>> > something
>> > like that from "Windows Updates".
>> >
>> > You cannot visit the WU website in Vista.
>> >
>> > See:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...dowsvista.mspx
>> > --
>> > --------------------------------
>> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
>> > Update Services
>> > http://taurarian.mvps.org

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft Update fails to install.
This is all done via the control panel on a Vista box. Windows XP goes to the
Windows Update site, Vista doesn't.

Perhaps this link will make it clearer:
Windows Update Tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...0.html#updates

--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"Charles W Davis" wrote:

> Taur,
>
> Once again, I thank you for your respones, but:
>
> In the web page that you referenced, everytime instance the instructions
> almost always either take you to the Internet or a subsequent step takes you
> to the Internet: "Open Windows Update (click the Start Start button button,
> click All Programs, and then click Windows Update)."
>
> What specific actions do you suggest. What change on my computer?
>
> "TaurArian" <taurarian@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Charles, it appears that you're still trying to access the website.
> >
> > The changes must be made on your computer in Vista.
> >
> > Once the change is made on your computer you should then be able to check
> > for Office updates.

> > --
> > --------------------------------
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
> > Update Services
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> >

> > "Charles W Davis" wrote:
> >
> >> Taur,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the response. I can get to step 3 on the web page referenced,
> >> and
> >> then the message:
> >> [Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
> >> To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
> >> administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer.
> >> If
> >> you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to
> >> User
> >> Accounts in Control Panel.
> >>
> >> Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
> >> might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system
> >> administrator
> >> for help with updates.
> >>

> >> It is attempting to install Microsoft Update...

Charles W Davis

Re: Microsoft Update fails to install.
Taur,

Thanks again.

I have just gone to the Control Panel, double-clicked on Windows update and
then clicked on the light yellow highlighted button that reads: Get updates
for more products, which once again takes me to this Microsoft web page
titled "Try Microsoft Update today" with an introductory paragraph that
reads: "Now you can get updates for Windows, Office and other Microsoft
applications all in one place. Microsoft Update is a new service that brings
you all the features and benefits of Windows Update plus downloads for other
Microsoft applications including Office."
It is Office 2007 that I am trying to update.
http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...pdate&ln=en-us

Windows Update is also on the Start Menu on my Vista Ultimate system.

> This is all done via the control panel on a Vista box. Windows XP goes to
> the
> Windows Update site, Vista doesn't.
>
> Perhaps this link will make it clearer:
> Windows Update Tutorial
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...0.html#updates
>
> --
> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Charles W Davis" wrote:
>
>> Taur,
>>
>> Once again, I thank you for your respones, but:
>>
>> In the web page that you referenced, everytime instance the instructions
>> almost always either take you to the Internet or a subsequent step takes
>> you
>> to the Internet: "Open Windows Update (click the Start Start button
>> button,
>> click All Programs, and then click Windows Update)."
>>
>> What specific actions do you suggest. What change on my computer?
>>
>> "TaurArian" <taurarian@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Charles, it appears that you're still trying to access the website.
>> >
>> > The changes must be made on your computer in Vista.
>> >
>> > Once the change is made on your computer you should then be able to
>> > check
>> > for Office updates.

>> > --
>> > --------------------------------
>> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
>> > Update Services
>> > http://taurarian.mvps.org

Charles W Davis

Re: Microsoft Update fails to install.
All is now resolved.

This is the note I received from a Microsoft technician"
Thank you for your reply. I understand you have tried the suggestions I
provided, but the error 0x8DDD0002 is still received. I appreciate your time
and efforts on this issue.

I noticed the error 0x8DDD0002 was received in Internet Explorer window.
This issue can occur if the Internet Explorer settings are incorrect. At
this time, let's perform the following steps to check the result:

Reset Internet Explorer settings
=============================
1. Please open Internet Explorer, click "Tools", and click "Internet
Options".
2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.
3. Refer to "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" section, and click "Reset".
4. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.
5. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the
Browsing box.
6. Click "Apply", click "OK".

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article:

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

"Charles W Davis" <Anthemwebs@lvcoxmail.com> wrote in message
> Taur,
>
> Thanks again.
>
> I have just gone to the Control Panel, double-clicked on Windows update
> and then clicked on the light yellow highlighted button that reads: Get
> updates for more products, which once again takes me to this Microsoft web
> page titled "Try Microsoft Update today" with an introductory paragraph
> that reads: "Now you can get updates for Windows, Office and other
> Microsoft applications all in one place. Microsoft Update is a new service
> that brings you all the features and benefits of Windows Update plus
> downloads for other Microsoft applications including Office."
> It is Office 2007 that I am trying to update.
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...pdate&ln=en-us
>
> Windows Update is also on the Start Menu on my Vista Ultimate system.
>
> "TaurArian" <taurarian@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> This is all done via the control panel on a Vista box. Windows XP goes to
>> the
>> Windows Update site, Vista doesn't.
>>
>> Perhaps this link will make it clearer:
>> Windows Update Tutorial
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...0.html#updates
>>
>> --
>> --------------------------------
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
>> Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>>

>> "Charles W Davis" wrote:
>>
>>> Taur,
>>>
>>> Once again, I thank you for your respones, but:
>>>
>>> In the web page that you referenced, everytime instance the instructions
>>> almost always either take you to the Internet or a subsequent step takes
>>> you
>>> to the Internet: "Open Windows Update (click the Start Start button
>>> button,
>>> click All Programs, and then click Windows Update)."
>>>
>>> What specific actions do you suggest. What change on my computer?

Peter Foldes

Re: Microsoft Update fails to install.
>> I have performed Methods 1 thru 4, with no positive results.

To do step 5 put your computer into Administrative mode or do it within Safe mode

--
Peter