Can't boot Windows XP SP2 after power down while updating shutdown

Ricardo Caju

Can't boot Windows XP SP2 after power down while updating shutdown
Hello there.

I got a computer here which has been turned off while it was on the
"Installing update x of x..." shutdown screen. Now i can't boot. I've tried
reinstalling Windows and even copying manually the registry files of a
restore point on the System Volume Information folder, but o luck.
It freezes right after the mouse pointer shows up and before the Welcome
screen, showing no error at all, although the pointer moves normally around
the black screen.
Neither the safety modes nor the "last good configuration" option are
useful, so I can't boot at all. I wonder if that is some way to restore an
earlier point without booting on Windows.
One of the updates was the SP3. I know SP3 is causing some trouble around,
but I don't think it's the problem here.

What can I do about it? It's a Windows XP SP2 on a AMD Sempron 3000+, 512Mb
of RAM.

Thanks in advance.
Ricardo.
Engel

RE: Can't boot Windows XP SP2 after power down while updating shutdown
Hello Ricardo,

start a help ticket.

I'd recommend resubmitting your post here:
Help and Support

<http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=1&gprid=9860>

OR

I'd recommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in the U.S. or Canada.

Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the number for paid
support in your locale--and ask for the free help with virus or
security-patch related issues. This help extends to spyware removal as well.

Other than that, I'm about out of ideas, so good luck with it.

Let us know maybe someone else can conjure up something else to try.
- -- ---