windows xp home sp3 update

cmwdent

windows xp home sp3 update
After 3 attempts to install- computer slowed to a crawl then stoppped!!!!
Spent 3 hours on the phone with dell to dump and reinstall eveything- This is
so frustrating!! Can you get a disk to down load?? I'm not willing to do this
again. Not being a computer wiz - how else can I get the updates???
David B.

Re: windows xp home sp3 update
Download and create your own SP3 installation media.

http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/d...displaylang=en

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"cmwdent" <cmwdent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After 3 attempts to install- computer slowed to a crawl then stoppped!!!!
> Spent 3 hours on the phone with dell to dump and reinstall eveything- This
> is
> so frustrating!! Can you get a disk to down load?? I'm not willing to do
> this
> again. Not being a computer wiz - how else can I get the updates???

Re: windows xp home sp3 update
> Spent 3 hours on the phone with dell to dump and reinstall eveything

Explain. Did you reinstall Windows or...?

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

cmwdent wrote:
> After 3 attempts to install- computer slowed to a crawl then stoppped!!!!
> Spent 3 hours on the phone with dell to dump and reinstall eveything- This
> is so frustrating!! Can you get a disk to down load?? I'm not willing to
> do
> this again. Not being a computer wiz - how else can I get the updates???

cmwdent

Re: windows xp home sp3 update
With the dell tech's assistance- re-installed operating system, drivers,
software etc.
-- The next day I had 59 "updates" to install, all went well, then today sp3
shows up again and will not install again. - I know the updates are
important- but at what cost??
cmwdent

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > Spent 3 hours on the phone with dell to dump and reinstall eveything

> Explain. Did you reinstall Windows or...?

> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> cmwdent wrote:
> > After 3 attempts to install- computer slowed to a crawl then stoppped!!!!
> > Spent 3 hours on the phone with dell to dump and reinstall eveything- This
> > is so frustrating!! Can you get a disk to down load?? I'm not willing to
> > do
> > this again. Not being a computer wiz - how else can I get the updates???

TaurArian

Re: windows xp home sp3 update
And the error code is?

Did you check the windowsupdate.log for any specific errors?

Presumably you told Dell more information than you're posting here as to why
SP3 didn't install.

--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"cmwdent" wrote:

> With the dell tech's assistance- re-installed operating system, drivers,
> software etc.
> -- The next day I had 59 "updates" to install, all went well, then today sp3
> shows up again and will not install again. - I know the updates are
> important- but at what cost??
> cmwdent
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > > Spent 3 hours on the phone with dell to dump and reinstall eveything

> > Explain. Did you reinstall Windows or...?

> > Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> > Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> > installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> >
> > WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >
> > Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> > Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> > e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> > XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >
> > cmwdent wrote:
> > > After 3 attempts to install- computer slowed to a crawl then stoppped!!!!
> > > Spent 3 hours on the phone with dell to dump and reinstall eveything- This
> > > is so frustrating!! Can you get a disk to down load?? I'm not willing to
> > > do
> > > this again. Not being a computer wiz - how else can I get the updates???

Re: windows xp home sp3 update
> ...The next day I had 59 "updates" to install, all went well

Are you sure about that? Are those updates listed in Add/Remove Programs?

> ...today sp3 shows up again and will not install again.

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Repost:

~PA Bear