error 0X3F5

Chanel64

error 0X3F5
I have tried 3 times to update IE7 and every time I cannot update it. The
same error number appear 0X3F5. What could I do to fix it. An answer will be
appreciate.

Re: error 0X3F5
[Crossposted to IE General newsgroup]

One assumes you're running WinXP SP2 or SP3 and you're attempting to install
(not update) IE7.

Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Alternately, use this Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

IMPORTANT! => IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

=> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Chanel64 wrote:
> I have tried 3 times to update IE7 and every time I cannot update it. The
> same error number appear 0X3F5. What could I do to fix it. An answer will
> be appreciate.

TomK

RE: error 0X3F5
This problem has a simple solution though the troubleshooting gives a much
more complicated list of solutions. It appears that the problem has to do
with one specific registry key, which has read only permissions.
To correct this problem a) open regedit and find key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{34A715A0-6587-11D0-924A-0020AFC7AC4D} and click
your right mouse button, select set permissions and choose the administrator
account (owner). The root of your problem is most likely that this key has
read only ticked but the full rights need to be ticked also. Reboot.
b) The safest way to install IE7 is to do the installation with the
standalone installer. Such can be obtained from http://download.microsoft.com
where IE7 should be listed in the top downloads. Install it - at this point
it should install properly though it might notify you that the latest updates
were not installed. Reboot
c)Start your IE7 and choose windows update - and install those remaining
updates for your browser.
--
Nordic heat

"Chanel64" wrote:

> I have tried 3 times to update IE7 and every time I cannot update it. The
> same error number appear 0X3F5. What could I do to fix it. An answer will be
> appreciate.

magnum10

RE: error 0X3F5

"TomK" wrote:

> This problem has a simple solution though the troubleshooting gives a much
> more complicated list of solutions. It appears that the problem has to do
> with one specific registry key, which has read only permissions.
> To correct this problem a) open regedit and find key
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{34A715A0-6587-11D0-924A-0020AFC7AC4D} and click
> your right mouse button, select set permissions and choose the administrator
> account (owner). The root of your problem is most likely that this key has
> read only ticked but the full rights need to be ticked also. Reboot.
> b) The safest way to install IE7 is to do the installation with the
> standalone installer. Such can be obtained from http://download.microsoft.com
> where IE7 should be listed in the top downloads. Install it - at this point
> it should install properly though it might notify you that the latest updates
> were not installed. Reboot
> c)Start your IE7 and choose windows update - and install those remaining
> updates for your browser.
> --
> Nordic heat
>

> "Chanel64" wrote:
>
> > I have tried 3 times to update IE7 and every time I cannot update it. The
> > same error number appear 0X3F5. What could I do to fix it. An answer will be
> > appreciate.

larstell

Re: error 0X3F5

Thank you so very much, this is easy and it works. I have send it on to
MS-support.

--
larstell
larstell's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/larstell.htm