800B0100 Solution Finally

alexhaj

800B0100 Solution Finally
Got this off a thread in microsoft technet forums

Hi All,

I spent 4 hours on the phone with Microsoft tech support this morning trying
to get this resolved. They were able to fix it. I just I would pass along the
fix that worked for us. Hopefully it will help someone else out as well.
Below is the email I received from tech support after the fix:

Basically an 0x800B0100 error is store corruption. Store corruption can be
caused by pending CBS operations, CBS operations that never finished based on
a reboot
that was supposed to take place and never did, general corruption markers
like bad sectors on disk, etc.

Most of the 0x800B0100 errors I have seen have involved issues with
customers having corruption as a result of a failed update installation. So
recommending that they reboot the server when prompted would be a good best
practice. Additionally, ensure that they do their role installation and
removals one at a time. If a role installation prompts for a reboot, the
machine needs to be rebooted before anything else occurs. Otherwise the store
can become corrupted and cause issues like this.

Also the following are the steps taken to work on the resolution for the
issue.

We tried running a System Readiness update tool which checks the CBS
component corruption and got the result as one of the update KB 951978 was
having issues as its packages were corrupted.

So we downloaded and extracted the update KB 951978 and copied the package
over to the system packages folder under %Windir%\servicing\packages and
replaced the corrupted packages.

Tried to run the tool again and it came clean and also checked the roles
page on the server manager which started working fine.

alexhaj

RE: 800B0100 Solution Finally
Just in case you didn't get the readiness update application can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Once installed, goto %systemroot%/logs/cbs/ and open the log files. You may
see that some .mum files are missing and the update they are associated with,
so just download them from the appropriate standalone update opened with say
winrar. Make sure you copy over the bad files or replace missing ones by
taking ownership of the %systemroot%/servicing/packages folder and copying
the files outlined in the .log file to the packages folder from the
standalone update you just downloaded. if a file is not present in the
standalone update then just use the update.mum and update.cat included and
rename it to the appropriate file

hope this helps

"alexhaj" wrote:

> Got this off a thread in microsoft technet forums
>
> Hi All,
>
> I spent 4 hours on the phone with Microsoft tech support this morning trying
> to get this resolved. They were able to fix it. I just I would pass along the
> fix that worked for us. Hopefully it will help someone else out as well.
> Below is the email I received from tech support after the fix:
>

> Basically an 0x800B0100 error is store corruption. Store corruption can be
> caused by pending CBS operations, CBS operations that never finished based on
> a reboot
> that was supposed to take place and never did, general corruption markers
> like bad sectors on disk, etc.
>
> Most of the 0x800B0100 errors I have seen have involved issues with
> customers having corruption as a result of a failed update installation. So
> recommending that they reboot the server when prompted would be a good best
> practice. Additionally, ensure that they do their role installation and
> removals one at a time. If a role installation prompts for a reboot, the
> machine needs to be rebooted before anything else occurs. Otherwise the store
> can become corrupted and cause issues like this.
>
> Also the following are the steps taken to work on the resolution for the
> issue.
>

> We tried running a System Readiness update tool which checks the CBS
> component corruption and got the result as one of the update KB 951978 was
> having issues as its packages were corrupted.
>

> So we downloaded and extracted the update KB 951978 and copied the package
> over to the system packages folder under %Windir%\servicing\packages and
> replaced the corrupted packages.
>
> Tried to run the tool again and it came clean and also checked the roles
> page on the server manager which started working fine.

Re: 800B0100 Solution Finally
Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
sites to install updates: "0x800B0100":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/