Windows Update Server or Microsoft Update Server IP

MichaelCree

Windows Update Server or Microsoft Update Server IP
I have a lone server behind a firewall in a DMZ that is blocking all inbound
and outbound traffic on port 80 and 443. I would like the server to be able
to go to the Microsoft Windows Update website directly, but the IP changes
everytime I try to connect to it. I can request the firewall admin to open
ports to a specific IP, but not a range of IP's or a DNS name.

Is there a single Windows Update Server or Microsoft Update Server IP
address I can use to access all updates for Windows 2008 Server. If not a
single IP, is there different port other than 80 and 443 I can use to talk to
the Windows Update Servers or even a range of addresses.

I know that I could setup a WSUS server to solve the problem, but I would
prefer not to have to do that for this one server.

--
Michael
alexhaj

RE: Windows Update Server or Microsoft Update Server IP
Make a static route in your router to your server so that your ip never
changes.

"MichaelCree" wrote:

> I have a lone server behind a firewall in a DMZ that is blocking all inbound
> and outbound traffic on port 80 and 443. I would like the server to be able
> to go to the Microsoft Windows Update website directly, but the IP changes
> everytime I try to connect to it. I can request the firewall admin to open
> ports to a specific IP, but not a range of IP's or a DNS name.
>
> Is there a single Windows Update Server or Microsoft Update Server IP
> address I can use to access all updates for Windows 2008 Server. If not a
> single IP, is there different port other than 80 and 443 I can use to talk to
> the Windows Update Servers or even a range of addresses.
>
> I know that I could setup a WSUS server to solve the problem, but I would
> prefer not to have to do that for this one server.
>
> --
> Michael

Harry Johnston [MVP]

MichaelCree wrote:

> I have a lone server behind a firewall in a DMZ that is blocking all inbound
> and outbound traffic on port 80 and 443. I would like the server to be able
> to go to the Microsoft Windows Update website directly, but the IP changes
> everytime I try to connect to it. I can request the firewall admin to open
> ports to a specific IP, but not a range of IP's or a DNS name.

Realistically, your only options are to connect via a proxy server which is
outside the DMZ or to use WSUS.

Harry.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

alexhaj wrote:

> Make a static route in your router to your server so that your ip never
> changes.

It's the IP address of the Windows Update site that changes, not that of his server.

Harry.