RE: error 80070490

Monty Buettner

RE: error 80070490
I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT!!! Forgive my enthusiasm, but I have been battling
this Vista Error 80070490 problem for almost two years now. Microsoft has
been no help at all, and HP did not give me the Vista Ultimate disk when I
bought the laptop so updating using the disk was not an option.
Today I manually downloaded Windows Installer 4.5 from the following webpage
and saved it to my desktop; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288/en-us
Once that was downloaded, I installed it on my PC.
I then downloaded the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista from
the following webpage and saved it to my desktop;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
Once that was downloaded I installed it on my PC.
These installations seemed to take a few hours. At times it looked like
things had froze up. I didn’t mess with anything and just let it do it’s
thing. A few hours later they were both installed. I don’t know which one of
these programs done the trick, but I really don’t care at this point. I
opened the Windows Updater, and searched for updates. Things immediately
started happening that I had not seen in almost two years. It first updated
the platform with service pack 1, then all the other updates I have not been
able to get.
Good luck.

"gene7851" wrote:

> trying to install security update KB925902. Continuously fails error code
> 80070490 which is not listed. How do I complete installation or should I
> ignore update?

trudy8630

RE: error 80070490
Well lucky for you and thanks for the info but didn't do nothing for my
vista....still got the 8070490 error, I'll just have to keep reading, trying
and hopefully there IS a cure somewhere.

"Monty Buettner" wrote:

> I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT!!! Forgive my enthusiasm, but I have been battling
> this Vista Error 80070490 problem for almost two years now. Microsoft has
> been no help at all, and HP did not give me the Vista Ultimate disk when I
> bought the laptop so updating using the disk was not an option.
> Today I manually downloaded Windows Installer 4.5 from the following webpage
> and saved it to my desktop; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288/en-us
> Once that was downloaded, I installed it on my PC.
> I then downloaded the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista from
> the following webpage and saved it to my desktop;
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
> Once that was downloaded I installed it on my PC.
> These installations seemed to take a few hours. At times it looked like
> things had froze up. I didn’t mess with anything and just let it do it’s
> thing. A few hours later they were both installed. I don’t know which one of
> these programs done the trick, but I really don’t care at this point. I
> opened the Windows Updater, and searched for updates. Things immediately
> started happening that I had not seen in almost two years. It first updated
> the platform with service pack 1, then all the other updates I have not been
> able to get.
> Good luck.
>

> "gene7851" wrote:
>
> > trying to install security update KB925902. Continuously fails error code
> > 80070490 which is not listed. How do I complete installation or should I
> > ignore update?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: error 80070490
From: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-017.mspx

> Support:
> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product Support
> Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with security
> updates.
> • International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no
> charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more information about how to contact
> Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155

Give MS a call as there is *no-charge* support offered in getting this
security update and ALL security
updates installed.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

trudy8630 wrote:

> Well lucky for you and thanks for the info but didn't do nothing for my
> vista....still got the 8070490 error, I'll just have to keep reading, trying
> and hopefully there IS a cure somewhere.
>
> "Monty Buettner" wrote:
>

>>I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT!!! Forgive my enthusiasm, but I have been battling
>>this Vista Error 80070490 problem for almost two years now. Microsoft has
>>been no help at all, and HP did not give me the Vista Ultimate disk when I
>>bought the laptop so updating using the disk was not an option.
>>Today I manually downloaded Windows Installer 4.5 from the following webpage
>>and saved it to my desktop; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288/en-us
>>Once that was downloaded, I installed it on my PC.
>>I then downloaded the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista from
>>the following webpage and saved it to my desktop;
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>>Once that was downloaded I installed it on my PC.
>>These installations seemed to take a few hours. At times it looked like
>>things had froze up. I didn’t mess with anything and just let it do it’s
>>thing. A few hours later they were both installed. I don’t know which one of
>>these programs done the trick, but I really don’t care at this point. I
>>opened the Windows Updater, and searched for updates. Things immediately
>>started happening that I had not seen in almost two years. It first updated
>>the platform with service pack 1, then all the other updates I have not been
>>able to get.
>>Good luck.
>>

>>"gene7851" wrote:
>>

>>>trying to install security update KB925902. Continuously fails error code
>>>80070490 which is not listed. How do I complete installation or should I
>>>ignore update?

Ken D

RE: error 80070490
I tried the Windows Installer 4.5. I'm running Vista, but none of the 3
downloads for Vista would work. All tried to update and then gave me an
error that said 'this update doesn't apply to this system"

"Monty Buettner" wrote:

> I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT!!! Forgive my enthusiasm, but I have been battling
> this Vista Error 80070490 problem for almost two years now. Microsoft has
> been no help at all, and HP did not give me the Vista Ultimate disk when I
> bought the laptop so updating using the disk was not an option.
> Today I manually downloaded Windows Installer 4.5 from the following webpage
> and saved it to my desktop; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288/en-us
> Once that was downloaded, I installed it on my PC.
> I then downloaded the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista from
> the following webpage and saved it to my desktop;
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
> Once that was downloaded I installed it on my PC.
> These installations seemed to take a few hours. At times it looked like
> things had froze up. I didn’t mess with anything and just let it do it’s
> thing. A few hours later they were both installed. I don’t know which one of
> these programs done the trick, but I really don’t care at this point. I
> opened the Windows Updater, and searched for updates. Things immediately
> started happening that I had not seen in almost two years. It first updated
> the platform with service pack 1, then all the other updates I have not been
> able to get.
> Good luck.
>

> "gene7851" wrote:
>
> > trying to install security update KB925902. Continuously fails error code
> > 80070490 which is not listed. How do I complete installation or should I
> > ignore update?

Ken D

RE: error 80070490
I'm running Vista.

I tried to install Windows Installer 4.5, but each of the Vista downloads
said that this update is not compatible with my system.

I then went to your 2nd link for the Windows Update Readiness Tool. That
says you get it through Windows Update, which of course does not work as I am
under the Error Code 80070490. On the bottom of that page under Information
for advanced User, I went to the link for Windows Vista and downloaded it
(KB947821) and installed it. This took some time but it eventually completed
the installation.
I then ran Windows Update and got the same old error 80070460.