RE: 80073712

W2Nixon

RE: 80073712
How did you change the permissions or delete the pending.xml file. I have
tried and tried and can't figure out how to change the permissions - going to
the advance or security tabs only the "trustedinstaller" has this right - I
only have read and execute rights?

"Anthony" wrote:

> Try this: in the search box of Start, type "winsxs". Open the directory, find
> the file "pending.xml" and change it properties clicking on advanced. Give
> the user total control. Apply and accept. In doing this, the file can be
> deleted. Once you've done, install the Windows Update Agent. I did it and
> worked, without rebooting the machine. Others recommend to reboot the
> machine, and then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from here:
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
>

> Good luck
>

> "Bob J" wrote:
>
> > this is a link to KB, which offers a solutions
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931712
> >
> > Unfortunately the signs are not very good!!!!
> > Good Luck
> > --
> > Regards
> > Bob J
> > If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> > another source,post back & let us know.
> > Then we all benefit.
> >

> > "doc" wrote:
> >
> > > To anyone who can help. I've been getting the message windows can't update
> > > 80073712 error. Can someone give me the right answer to fix this.
> > > Thanks
> > > --
> > > doc45

TaurArian

Re: 80073712
See if running this tool helps -

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"W2Nixon" <W2Nixon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How did you change the permissions or delete the pending.xml file. I have
> tried and tried and can't figure out how to change the permissions - going
> the advance or security tabs only the "trustedinstaller" has this right -
> only have read and execute rights?
>
> "Anthony" wrote:
>
>> Try this: in the search box of Start, type "winsxs". Open the directory,
>> find
>> the file "pending.xml" and change it properties clicking on advanced.
>> Give
>> the user total control. Apply and accept. In doing this, the file can be
>> deleted. Once you've done, install the Windows Update Agent. I did it and
>> worked, without rebooting the machine. Others recommend to reboot the
>> machine, and then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from here:
>> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
>>

>> Good luck
>>

>> "Bob J" wrote:
>>
>> > this is a link to KB, which offers a solutions
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931712
>> >
>> > Unfortunately the signs are not very good!!!!
>> > Good Luck
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Bob J
>> > If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
>> > another source,post back & let us know.
>> > Then we all benefit.

lilc420

Re: 80073712
Here is what worked for me.

If you are running Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000, follow
these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type notepad and then click OK.
2. Copy the following commands, and then paste them into the Notepad window.

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 MUCLTUI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL /S
REGSVR32 MUWEB.DLL /S
REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL /S
REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL /S

3. On the Notepad File menu, click Save As.
4. In the File name box, type register.bat, and then click All Files in the
Save as type box.
5. Save the register.bat file to the desktop.
6. Double-click the register.bat file to register the Windows Update files.
7. Try to install updates again.
If you are running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, follow these steps:
1. Click StartStart button, type notepad in the Start Search box, and then
click notepad in the Programs list.
2. Copy the following commands, and then paste them into the Notepad window.

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL /S
REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL /S
REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL /S
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S
REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S

3. On the Notepad File menu, click Save As.
4. In the File name box, type register.bat, and then click All Files (*.*)
in the Save as type box.
5. Save the register.bat file to the desktop.
6. Right-click the register.bat file, and then click Run as
administrator.User Account Control permission If you are prompted for an
administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click
Continue.
7. Try to install updates again.

You can read it on this page... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956708/en-us

"TaurArian" wrote:

> See if running this tool helps -
>
> Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "W2Nixon" <W2Nixon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How did you change the permissions or delete the pending.xml file. I have
> > tried and tried and can't figure out how to change the permissions - going
> > the advance or security tabs only the "trustedinstaller" has this right -
> > only have read and execute rights?
> >
> > "Anthony" wrote:
> >
> >> Try this: in the search box of Start, type "winsxs". Open the directory,
> >> find
> >> the file "pending.xml" and change it properties clicking on advanced.
> >> Give
> >> the user total control. Apply and accept. In doing this, the file can be
> >> deleted. Once you've done, install the Windows Update Agent. I did it and
> >> worked, without rebooting the machine. Others recommend to reboot the
> >> machine, and then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from here:
> >> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
> >>

> >> Good luck

Saint

RE: 80073712
If you have trouble with deleting pending.xml like I did, check this URL:
http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...indows-update/

Did the trick for me in a few seconds