I am an administrator but I do not have administrator privileges

kickboxer2526

I am an administrator but I do not have administrator privileges
When trying to use Windows update I get error message 0x8ddd0002 "To
install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If
you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to
User Accounts in Control Panel." I have checked, double checked, and
checked again. . .there are two accounts on my computer and both have
admin controls. but I still get this
message. I also got a similar message when trying to access a game that I
had loaded onto the computer, ACCESS DENIED- you do not have
administrative privileges. PLEASE HELP!!! How do I fix this? Thanks!

> You receive an "Administrators only" error message when you try to visit the
> Windows or Microsoft Update websites:
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Hi Malke,

Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately, I have tried everything on this page
several times and have had no luck. If you have any other advice, it would
be greatly appreciated.

Now I recieve the error messege 0x80070020

Th only thing I can say is when I try Method 5: Rename the Catroot2 folder,
I don't think it works properly. When I type in the second line "ren
%systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2" I get an error messege "the
system cannot find the file specified" everything else checks out, since I
have tried these steps several times.

Another thing that happens is, when starting Windows, I get an error messege
that the bootini.exe file cannot be found. I don't know if this is a cause
to the other problems but I thought I would mention it.

Thanks for any help!

KB

Re: I am an administrator but I do not have administrator privileges
kickboxer2526 wrote:
> When trying to use Windows update I get error message 0x8ddd0002 "To
> install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
> administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If
> you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to
> User Accounts in Control Panel." I have checked, double checked, and
> checked again. . .there are two accounts on my computer and both have
> admin controls. but I still get this
> message. I also got a similar message when trying to access a game that I
> had loaded onto the computer, ACCESS DENIED- you do not have
> administrative privileges. PLEASE HELP!!! How do I fix this? Thanks!
>>
>> You receive an "Administrators only" error message when you try to visit
>> the Windows or Microsoft Update websites:
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP
>> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
>> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>>

> Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately, I have tried everything on this
> page
> several times and have had no luck. If you have any other advice, it
> would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Now I recieve the error messege 0x80070020
>
> Th only thing I can say is when I try Method 5: Rename the Catroot2
> folder,
> I don't think it works properly. When I type in the second line "ren
> %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2" I get an error messege "the
> system cannot find the file specified" everything else checks out, since I
> have tried these steps several times.
>
> Another thing that happens is, when starting Windows, I get an error
> messege
> that the bootini.exe file cannot be found. I don't know if this is a
> cause
> to the other problems but I thought I would mention it.

Error message when you use the Windows Update Web site or Microsoft Update
Web site to install updates: "0x80070002":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956698

On the other hand, there's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo
infection, which is usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all
of which are protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm