Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

XP Help&Support: Task "Windows Update" never connects to update se

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2008
Basilisk Pie
 

Posts: n/a
XP Help&Support: Task "Windows Update" never connects to update se
I'm repairing a friend's XP box -- 'had multiple viruses, and has woefully
outdated H/W, but it's what she's stuck with until she can get re-employed!
I now have all viri purged and XP and Ofc completely updated, BUT...

In repairing XP, I'm accustomed to using
Help & Support Center -> Task: Windows Update
to pull down updates. On this box each time I try that it whites-out the
H&SC lower window but fails to go further -- to present the choice of Custom
or Automatic update. I'm guessing this means it's confused about how/where
to link to the update service.

If I browse (IE7) to MS directly, I can go to the update page and everything
works, so it's not a connectivity issue. I've used this to bring everything
up-to-date on XP/Ofc.

I'm hesitant to return this to my friend without fixing this: I don't know
whether or not XP will even do -automatic- updates if it can't do manual ones
through H&SC! As I'm clueless about the Registry entries (or whatever) that
control this, I need some direction. I'm quite confortable making registry
changes, and have another XP box nearby if the answer's just to
export->import a registry branch.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP Help&Support: Task "Windows Update" never connects to update se
You may have (much) more work to do. If everything's OK, there should be a
link to either Windows Update or Microsoft Update in the Start menu.

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

It might be best to format & reinstall Windows. Good luck.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Basilisk Pie wrote:
> I'm repairing a friend's XP box -- 'had multiple viruses, and has woefully
> outdated H/W, but it's what she's stuck with until she can get
> re-employed!
> I now have all viri purged and XP and Ofc completely updated, BUT...
>
> In repairing XP, I'm accustomed to using
> Help & Support Center -> Task: Windows Update
> to pull down updates. On this box each time I try that it whites-out the
> H&SC lower window but fails to go further -- to present the choice of
> Custom
> or Automatic update. I'm guessing this means it's confused about
> how/where
> to link to the update service.
>
> If I browse (IE7) to MS directly, I can go to the update page and
> everything
> works, so it's not a connectivity issue. I've used this to bring
> everything
> up-to-date on XP/Ofc.
>
> I'm hesitant to return this to my friend without fixing this: I don't know
> whether or not XP will even do -automatic- updates if it can't do manual
> ones through H&SC! As I'm clueless about the Registry entries (or
> whatever) that control this, I need some direction. I'm quite confortable
> making registry changes, and have another XP box nearby if the answer's
> just to export->import a registry branch.
>
> Thanks for any assistance you can provide!


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2008
Basilisk Pie
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP Help&Support: Task "Windows Update" never connects to updat
I've no reason to think any s/w threat remains: AVG, SpybotSD, & AdAware find
nothing amiss, and I find nothing out of place in HiJackThis, the Program
File directories, and in the MSCONFIG startups.

WUPDMGR.exe fails: when invoked on its own, it just shows a blank browser
window after it requests windowsupdate.microsoft.com; when invoked [I
presume] from Start -> Help&Supp -> Task Windows Update, the Help sub-window
clears, flashes two msgs (last == "Connecting") and then never shows the
first display of the MS page (Express vs Custom update). I don't see any
Event entries noting an error.

Comparing the troubled XP system to an adjacent untroubled one, I notice the
healthy one has LOCATOR.exe running: I don't understand WHY it's running, but
it brings to question whether there's some required service that isn't
enabled. The SVCHOST.exe entries might mask some different services running
-- I wish they'd have their individual service displayed by the Task Mgr!

I understand that there may be NO SOLUTION to this other than a full reload,
but that seems improbable. It seems very likely there's just some Registry
tweak or Services change that would reenable windows updates. If anyone can
come up with an approach short of reloading, I'd appreciate it.


Parenthetically: the whole Update process has its problems even on healthy
machines. I help several friends, and time after time I've seen machines get
into a state where some updates won't install successfully. Currently,
KB892130 -- the latest Validation s/w -- is failing to install on this
computer (which is decidely "Genuine"). Sigh.


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You may have (much) more work to do. If everything's OK, there should be a
> link to either Windows Update or Microsoft Update in the Start menu.
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> It might be best to format & reinstall Windows. Good luck.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Basilisk Pie wrote:
> > I'm repairing a friend's XP box -- 'had multiple viruses, and has woefully
> > outdated H/W, but it's what she's stuck with until she can get
> > re-employed!
> > I now have all viri purged and XP and Ofc completely updated, BUT...
> >
> > In repairing XP, I'm accustomed to using
> > Help & Support Center -> Task: Windows Update
> > to pull down updates. On this box each time I try that it whites-out the
> > H&SC lower window but fails to go further -- to present the choice of
> > Custom
> > or Automatic update. I'm guessing this means it's confused about
> > how/where
> > to link to the update service.
> >
> > If I browse (IE7) to MS directly, I can go to the update page and
> > everything
> > works, so it's not a connectivity issue. I've used this to bring
> > everything
> > up-to-date on XP/Ofc.
> >
> > I'm hesitant to return this to my friend without fixing this: I don't know
> > whether or not XP will even do -automatic- updates if it can't do manual
> > ones through H&SC! As I'm clueless about the Registry entries (or
> > whatever) that control this, I need some direction. I'm quite confortable
> > making registry changes, and have another XP box nearby if the answer's
> > just to export->import a registry branch.
> >
> > Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP Help&Support: Task "Windows Update" never connects to updat
> I've no reason to think any s/w threat remains...

I would not assume that until an expert in such matters has reviewed your
HijackThis log, etc., and had confirmed that the machine's clean.

Or you could format and do a clean install. Your choice.


Basilisk Pie wrote:
> I've no reason to think any s/w threat remains: AVG, SpybotSD, & AdAware
> find nothing amiss, and I find nothing out of place in HiJackThis, the
> Program File directories, and in the MSCONFIG startups.
>
> WUPDMGR.exe fails: when invoked on its own, it just shows a blank browser
> window after it requests windowsupdate.microsoft.com; when invoked [I
> presume] from Start -> Help&Supp -> Task Windows Update, the Help
> sub-window
> clears, flashes two msgs (last == "Connecting") and then never shows the
> first display of the MS page (Express vs Custom update). I don't see any
> Event entries noting an error.
>
> Comparing the troubled XP system to an adjacent untroubled one, I notice
> the
> healthy one has LOCATOR.exe running: I don't understand WHY it's running,
> but it brings to question whether there's some required service that isn't
> enabled. The SVCHOST.exe entries might mask some different services
> running
> -- I wish they'd have their individual service displayed by the Task Mgr!
>
> I understand that there may be NO SOLUTION to this other than a full
> reload,
> but that seems improbable. It seems very likely there's just some
> Registry
> tweak or Services change that would reenable windows updates. If anyone
> can
> come up with an approach short of reloading, I'd appreciate it.
>
>
> Parenthetically: the whole Update process has its problems even on healthy
> machines. I help several friends, and time after time I've seen machines
> get into a state where some updates won't install successfully.
> Currently,
> KB892130 -- the latest Validation s/w -- is failing to install on this
> computer (which is decidely "Genuine"). Sigh.
>
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You may have (much) more work to do. If everything's OK, there should be
>> a
>> link to either Windows Update or Microsoft Update in the Start menu.
>>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>>
>> It might be best to format & reinstall Windows. Good luck.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Basilisk Pie wrote:
>>> I'm repairing a friend's XP box -- 'had multiple viruses, and has
>>> woefully
>>> outdated H/W, but it's what she's stuck with until she can get
>>> re-employed!
>>> I now have all viri purged and XP and Ofc completely updated, BUT...
>>>
>>> In repairing XP, I'm accustomed to using
>>> Help & Support Center -> Task: Windows Update
>>> to pull down updates. On this box each time I try that it whites-out
>>> the
>>> H&SC lower window but fails to go further -- to present the choice of
>>> Custom
>>> or Automatic update. I'm guessing this means it's confused about
>>> how/where
>>> to link to the update service.
>>>
>>> If I browse (IE7) to MS directly, I can go to the update page and
>>> everything
>>> works, so it's not a connectivity issue. I've used this to bring
>>> everything
>>> up-to-date on XP/Ofc.
>>>
>>> I'm hesitant to return this to my friend without fixing this: I don't
>>> know
>>> whether or not XP will even do -automatic- updates if it can't do manual
>>> ones through H&SC! As I'm clueless about the Registry entries (or
>>> whatever) that control this, I need some direction. I'm quite
>>> confortable
>>> making registry changes, and have another XP box nearby if the answer's
>>> just to export->import a registry branch.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any assistance you can provide!


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ID: 931712 The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive an error message that includes the following code when you try to use Windows Update: "0x80073712" KBArticles English 1 04-28-2010 10:32
Article ID: 931712 La bote de dialogue "Windows Features" est vide de Windows Vista ou un message d'erreur qui insre le code suivant lorsque vous essayez d'utiliser Windows Update "0x80073712" s'affiche KBArticles French 0 10-23-2007 20:00
Article ID: 927532 Wenn Windows Update zur Installation eines Updates in Windows Vista verwendet wird, erscheint das Update nicht unter "Programme und Funktionen" in der Systemsteuerung KBArticles German 0 10-22-2007 21:20
Article ID: 931712 Das "Windows Features" Dialogfeld ist in Windows Vista leer oder es wird eine Fehlermeldung angezeigt, die den folgenden Code enthńlt, wenn Sie versuchen, Windows Update "0x80073712" zu verwenden KBArticles German 0 10-22-2007 21:20
Article ID: 941384 Misleading error message when you install an update package in Windows Vista or in Windows Server code name "Longhorn": "Not enough storage is available to process this command" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:20.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120