slow wsus client

Kristof Vansant

slow wsus client
Our older computers are very slow each morning after logon.
It scans each morning for Microsoft XP and MS Office 2003 updates for like
5-10 minutes. People who want to check their e-mail quickly have to wait
because it is so slow.

All clients have latest wsus client and server is running WSUS 3.0 sp1

On the laptops it is the slowest. Probably because of the slow IO.

Why does the wsus client have to scan each day and why can"t it use a DLL
scanning cache. Scan only dll's that have changed or when something changed.

I have disabled it for now. Isn't there a option to scan every few weeks or
on hours I want it to scan. Most have there lunch break at 12 so let it scan
then.
Now it scans on logon and installs at 12. This doesn't give me enough control.
Or make it scan very slowly spread over hours.

Re: slow wsus client
Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:
--
~PA Bear

Kristof Vansant wrote:
> Our older computers are very slow each morning after logon.
> It scans each morning for Microsoft XP and MS Office 2003 updates for like
> 5-10 minutes. People who want to check their e-mail quickly have to wait
> because it is so slow.
>
> All clients have latest wsus client and server is running WSUS 3.0 sp1
>
> On the laptops it is the slowest. Probably because of the slow IO.
>
> Why does the wsus client have to scan each day and why can"t it use a DLL
> scanning cache. Scan only dll's that have changed or when something
> changed.
>
> I have disabled it for now. Isn't there a option to scan every few weeks
> or
> on hours I want it to scan. Most have there lunch break at 12 so let it
> scan
> then.
> Now it scans on logon and installs at 12. This doesn't give me enough
> control. Or make it scan very slowly spread over hours.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: slow wsus client
Kristof Vansant wrote:

> Our older computers are very slow each morning after logon.
> It scans each morning for Microsoft XP and MS Office 2003 updates for like
> 5-10 minutes. People who want to check their e-mail quickly have to wait
> because it is so slow.

I take it the computers are off overnight?

You could change the "Automatic Updates detection frequency" in the group policy
used to assign the WSUS server so as to scan less frequently. If you combined
that with a scheduled job that ran a "wuauclt /detectnow" command at a suitable
time of day (different for each machine, preferably) I think that would prevent
scans from taking place immediately after startup.

Harry.
Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: slow wsus client
Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
> Kristof Vansant wrote:
>
> > Our older computers are very slow each morning after logon.
> > It scans each morning for Microsoft XP and MS Office 2003 updates for

> like
> > 5-10 minutes. People who want to check their e-mail quickly have to wait
> > because it is so slow.

> I take it the computers are off overnight?
>
> You could change the "Automatic Updates detection frequency" in the
> group policy used to assign the WSUS server so as to scan less
> frequently. If you combined that with a scheduled job that ran a
> "wuauclt /detectnow" command at a suitable time of day (different for
> each machine, preferably) I think that would prevent scans from taking
> place immediately after startup.
>
> Harry.

IIRC, can't you set the delay in the GPO settings before teh machine
checks for updates?

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: slow wsus client
Hank Arnold (MVP) wrote:

> IIRC, can't you set the delay in the GPO settings before teh machine
> checks for updates?

I don't believe so. There's a policy setting that determines how long after the
machine powers up a missed scheduled installation will be performed ... that
setting might control detection as a side-effect but if so I wasn't aware of it.

Harry.
Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: slow wsus client
Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
> Hank Arnold (MVP) wrote:
>
>> IIRC, can't you set the delay in the GPO settings before teh machine
>> checks for updates?

> I don't believe so. There's a policy setting that determines how long
> after the machine powers up a missed scheduled installation will be
> performed ... that setting might control detection as a side-effect but
> if so I wasn't aware of it.
>
> Harry.

Maybe that was it.... :-(