Do not have Administrative Privilages in an Administrator account

kickboxer2526

Do not have Administrative Privilages in an Administrator account
When trying to use Windows update I get error message 0x8ddd0002 "To install
updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a
member of the Administrators group on your computer. If you use Windows XP,
you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control
Panel." I have checked, double checked, and checked again. . .there are two
accounts on my computer and both have admin controls. but I still get this
message. I also got a similar message when trying to access a game that I
had loaded onto the computer, ACCESS DENIED- you do not have administrative
privileges. PLEASE HELP!!! How do I fix this? Thanks!
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Do not have Administrative Privilages in an Administrator account
kickboxer2526 wrote:

> When trying to use Windows update I get error message 0x8ddd0002 "To install
> updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a
> member of the Administrators group on your computer. If you use Windows XP,
> you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control
> Panel." I have checked, double checked, and checked again. . .there are two
> accounts on my computer and both have admin controls. but I still get this
> message. I also got a similar message when trying to access a game that I
> had loaded onto the computer, ACCESS DENIED- you do not have administrative
> privileges. PLEASE HELP!!! How do I fix this? Thanks!

Go to the Start Menu and select Run. In the dialog box that appears, type this:

cmd /k net user %USERNAME%

this should produce a command window with some text in it. Look in "Local
Groups" and let us know whether Administrators is listed or not.

Harry.
kickboxer2526

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> kickboxer2526 wrote:
>
> > When trying to use Windows update I get error message 0x8ddd0002 "To install
> > updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a
> > member of the Administrators group on your computer. If you use Windows XP,
> > you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control
> > Panel." I have checked, double checked, and checked again. . .there are two
> > accounts on my computer and both have admin controls. but I still get this
> > message. I also got a similar message when trying to access a game that I
> > had loaded onto the computer, ACCESS DENIED- you do not have administrative
> > privileges. PLEASE HELP!!! How do I fix this? Thanks!

> Go to the Start Menu and select Run. In the dialog box that appears, type this:
>
> cmd /k net user %USERNAME%
>
> this should produce a command window with some text in it. Look in "Local
> Groups" and let us know whether Administrators is listed or not.
>
> Harry.

Yes, it is listed, Debugger Users is also listed beside it this Local
Group Memberships

kickboxer2526 wrote:

>> Go to the Start Menu and select Run. In the dialog box that appears, type this:
>>
>> cmd /k net user %USERNAME%
>>
>> this should produce a command window with some text in it. Look in "Local
>> Groups" and let us know whether Administrators is listed or not.

> Yes, it is listed, Debugger Users is also listed beside it this Local
> Group Memberships

OK, try creating a new administrator account and see if that account can use
Windows Update. If this still doesn't work, the most likely possibility is a
malware infection - I see PA Bear has already provided you with information
about obtaining assistance with rootkits in another thread, so do follow his advice.

Another theoretical possibility is a problem with Internet Explorer. If you
have IE7, it might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling it just to see if it
helps.

Harry.