Security Update for MS Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (KB947738) Repeated

asterio

Security Update for MS Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (KB947738) Repeated
The Automatic Update keep installing the security update (KB948838) repeated
times.

The update history shows a successfull (green) status for each of these
various updates.

How can I avoid this update to be installed again ?

I'm using Windows XP Home Ed. V.2002 SP 2 with Visual Studio 2005 Std
Edition (for C++ development) and other VS 2005 Express Editions also
installed (Web Developer, C#.

Thanks,

Paulo Asterio

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Security Update for MS Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (KB947738) Repeated
"asterio" <asterio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The Automatic Update keep installing the security update (KB948838) repeated
> times.
>
> The update history shows a successfull (green) status for each of these
> various updates.
>
> How can I avoid this update to be installed again ?

Is a boot requested? Are you rebooting? Is the copy/rename required then being done?

Another way of analysing it is to look at the modules (or registry values) involved
and see exactly what pieces aren't being updated correctly. E.g. common causes
of such cases are security apps running while the update needs to be done, which are
blocking parts of the update. If the logs are not sufficient for diagnosing an exact
cause you could try supplementing them by running ProcMon.

BTW these are just generic points. I haven't opened up the specific KB article
you are referring to to try to infer any more ideas from it.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> I'm using Windows XP Home Ed. V.2002 SP 2 with Visual Studio 2005 Std
> Edition (for C++ development) and other VS 2005 Express Editions also
> installed (Web Developer, C#.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paulo Asterio

asterio

Re: Security Update for MS Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (KB947738) Repea
Thanks for your attention.
> Is a boot requested? Are you rebooting? Is the copy/rename required then being done?

Yes, Yes, and No.

> Another way of analysing it is to look at the modules (or registry values) involved
> and see exactly what pieces aren't being updated correctly. E.g. common causes
> of such cases are security apps running while the update needs to be done, which are
> blocking parts of the update. If the logs are not sufficient for diagnosing an exact
> cause you could try supplementing them by running ProcMon.

I found some entries related to the update in the registry, but I am not
able to interpret them.

Paulo Asterio

> Thanks for your attention.
>> Is a boot requested? Are you rebooting? Is the copy/rename required then being done?

> Yes, Yes, and No.

No? Then that's the cause of the loop. ProcMon has a Log Boot option but I don't know
if it would start early enough or even show what would be blocking that operation.

The registry value name involved of course would be PendingFileRenameOperations.
You should check that and save its value before booting so you understand in more
detail what is happening. E.g. another possibility would be that something is deleting
the temporary files *before* the boot (e.g. during shutdown) which would have the
same effect of preventing the updated modules from being copied successfully.

Another thing which might be worth trying (e.g. in case the copy is being prevented
during the boot) would be to do the boot in safe mode. However, it has never
been clear to me if the right ControlSet would be used then or if the necessary value
would be put in the one which would be used. I have never had to resort to such
measures and thus can't offer any empirical assurance that this would work.
I can't see how it could cause any more harm than your current symptom. ; )

>> Another way of analysing it is to look at the modules (or registry values) involved
>> and see exactly what pieces aren't being updated correctly. E.g. common causes
>> of such cases are security apps running while the update needs to be done, which are
>> blocking parts of the update. If the logs are not sufficient for diagnosing an exact
>> cause you could try supplementing them by running ProcMon.

> I found some entries related to the update in the registry, but I am not
> able to interpret them.

PendingFileRenameOperations? <eg>

Good luck

Robert