Cannot update Windows, using XP SP2

StevenAII

Cannot update Windows, using XP SP2
I cannot update windows xp machine, sp2 installed. I get no error to go by,
when viewing event logs. I show 97 updates that need to download and
install, and it fails before it can download on all 97 updates. I get no
errors to search on at all. This is ridiculous and crazy! Help if you find
out the answer. I have tried to start/stop wuauserv and all that jazz.

Re: Cannot update Windows, using XP SP2
CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

StevenAII wrote:
> I cannot update windows xp machine, sp2 installed. I get no error to go
> by,
> when viewing event logs. I show 97 updates that need to download and
> install, and it fails before it can download on all 97 updates. I get no
> errors to search on at all. This is ridiculous and crazy! Help if you
> find
> out the answer. I have tried to start/stop wuauserv and all that jazz.

StevenAII

Re: Cannot update Windows, using XP SP2
Robear,

This did not work for me. After trying this again, per your suggestion,
this still did not work. I have rebuilt this Dell 755 from scratch, using
the dell OS cd and have also tried to update this with and without having
loaded all of the drivers, thereby excluding any drivers other than the
default built into Windows XP and having to load the nic drivers and that's
it. Any other suggestions are welcome by all. Many thanks!

Steven

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> CrystalBall© sez...
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> StevenAII wrote:
> > I cannot update windows xp machine, sp2 installed. I get no error to go
> > by,
> > when viewing event logs. I show 97 updates that need to download and
> > install, and it fails before it can download on all 97 updates. I get no
> > errors to search on at all. This is ridiculous and crazy! Help if you
> > find
> > out the answer. I have tried to start/stop wuauserv and all that jazz.

Re: Cannot update Windows, using XP SP2
Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s). If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT
connect to the internet without having the Windows Firewall enabled!

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

your usual support contacts.
--
~PA Bear

StevenAII wrote:
> Robear,
>
> This did not work for me. After trying this again, per your suggestion,
> this still did not work. I have rebuilt this Dell 755 from scratch, using
> the dell OS cd and have also tried to update this with and without having
> loaded all of the drivers, thereby excluding any drivers other than the
> default built into Windows XP and having to load the nic drivers and
> that's
> it. Any other suggestions are welcome by all. Many thanks!
>
> Steven
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> CrystalBall© sez...
>>
>> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>> Microsoft
>> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
>> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> StevenAII wrote:
>>> I cannot update windows xp machine, sp2 installed. I get no error to go
>>> by,
>>> when viewing event logs. I show 97 updates that need to download and
>>> install, and it fails before it can download on all 97 updates. I get
>>> no
>>> errors to search on at all. This is ridiculous and crazy! Help if you
>>> find
>>> out the answer. I have tried to start/stop wuauserv and all that jazz.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

StevenAII wrote:

> This did not work for me. After trying this again, per your suggestion,
> this still did not work. I have rebuilt this Dell 755 from scratch, using
> the dell OS cd and have also tried to update this with and without having
> loaded all of the drivers, thereby excluding any drivers other than the
> default built into Windows XP and having to load the nic drivers and that's
> it. Any other suggestions are welcome by all. Many thanks!

Just to clarify, did you do a manual OS install, or a Dell system recovery?

Please try to install the updates again, then post the contents of
WindowsUpdate.log starting from just before you launched Windows Update through
to the end of the log.

Harry.