xp sp3 has caused a bsod in safe mode and when booting normally

johnbigbootie

xp sp3 has caused a bsod in safe mode and when booting normally

After installing SP3 on a Dimension 5150 in xp home edition I receive a
BSOD both when booting normally and when trying to access Safe Mode.
The error is the following:
STOP 0X0000007E (0x000001d, 0xf78de8ea, 0xf78de7f4, 0xf78de4f0)

It was working great before the update.

Any suggestions to get the computer working again would be appreicated.

--
johnbigbootie
johnbigbootie's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/johnbigbootie.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Alias

Re: xp sp3 has caused a bsod in safe mode and when booting normally
johnbigbootie wrote:
> After installing SP3 on a Dimension 5150 in xp home edition I receive a
> BSOD both when booting normally and when trying to access Safe Mode.
> The error is the following:
> STOP 0X0000007E (0x000001d, 0xf78de8ea, 0xf78de7f4, 0xf78de4f0)
>
> It was working great before the update.
>
> Any suggestions to get the computer working again would be appreicated.

Try turn it off and unplugging the computer and then plug it back in and
turn it on. If you can get into either Safe Mode or Normal Mode, do a
System Restore back before the SP3 install.

Alias
johnbigbootie

Re: xp sp3 has caused a bsod in safe mode and when booting normally

Thanks Alias.

Any suggestions on what to do if I can't get into Safe Mode or boot
normally?

Are there any options in Recovery Console that would enable me to
remove SP3?

Thanks.

johnbigbootie wrote:
> Thanks Alias.
>
> Any suggestions on what to do if I can't get into Safe Mode or boot
> normally?
>
> Are there any options in Recovery Console that would enable me to
> remove SP3?
>
> Thanks.

Like I said, try System Restore to a point in time prior to the SP3
"install".

Alias

Re: xp sp3 has caused a bsod in safe mode and when booting normally
Continual reboots or can only boot into Safe Mode after installing WinXP
SP3?

See
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
(WinXP SP3)."]

Possible workaround: Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to
INTELPMM.OLD.

• You receive a “Stop 0x0000007E” error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 11 Jun-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

• Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other
than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP
Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356

• HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Computer Restarts after Displaying Stop Error
0x0000007E [after installing WinXP SP3]
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01457284

• Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors:
Go to www.hp.com | Search for "sp37394.exe" (w/out quotes) | Should take you
to this download page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select Windows XP
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

johnbigbootie wrote:
> After installing SP3 on a Dimension 5150 in xp home edition I receive a
> BSOD both when booting normally and when trying to access Safe Mode.
> The error is the following:
> STOP 0X0000007E (0x000001d, 0xf78de8ea, 0xf78de7f4, 0xf78de4f0)
>
> It was working great before the update.
>
> Any suggestions to get the computer working again would be appreicated.

johnbigbootie

Re: xp sp3 has caused a bsod in safe mode and when booting normally

Thank you Alias. - Could you inform me for future reference how I can
utilize System Restore when I can't boot normally or access Safe Mode?

Thank you PA Bear.

I found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249 very useful to remove
SP3 while in the Recovery Console. I can now boot to safe mode and boot
normally but the mouse and keyboard do not work.

I get stuck in the screen that allows me to choose what user I want to
sign-in as.

Any suggestions so as my keyboard and/or mouse will work? Thanks.

johnbigbootie wrote:
> Thank you Alias. - Could you inform me for future reference how I can
> utilize System Restore when I can't boot normally or access Safe Mode?

You can't. I was saying you should use it if you can get in to either mode.

> Thank you PA Bear.
>
> I found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249 very useful to remove
> SP3 while in the Recovery Console. I can now boot to safe mode and boot
> normally but the mouse and keyboard do not work.
>
> I get stuck in the screen that allows me to choose what user I want to
> sign-in as.
>
> Any suggestions so as my keyboard and/or mouse will work? Thanks.

Are they USB? If so, use a keyboard and mouse that isn't.

Alias

johnbigbootie

Re: xp sp3 has caused a bsod in safe mode and when booting normally

Thanks Alias,

The keyboard and mouse are USB. The Dimension 5150 does not have any
serial ports.

johnbigbootie wrote:
> Thanks Alias,
>
> The keyboard and mouse are USB. The Dimension 5150 does not have any
> serial ports.

Don't know what to tell you then, sorry, except that now I know another
reason not to recommend Dell.

If you have everything backed up, maybe you should just use the recover
CD -- Dell did give you one of those, right? -- and reinstall XP.
Install SP3 immediately after installing XP and disabling the anti virus
if it comes with one. If they didn't give you a CD, check the Dell
manual to see how to use the recovery partition to reinstall it the way
it was when you got it.

Alias
johnbigbootie

Re: xp sp3 has caused a bsod in safe mode and when booting normally

Thank you all for your help.

I have decided to back-up my information and re-install the OS.
Cheers!