SP3 Update

loren

SP3 Update
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 pentium4, 2.6 ghz, 4 gb ram, ATI videocard,
Windows XP SP2.

Two months ago, I attempted to let Windows update install SP 3. After 1 1/2
hrs, a message popped up telling me that it was unable to complete the
install...would I like to uninstall what it had just done and revert back to
the previous mode. I clicked "yes" of course. After about 1 hr of
attempting to uninstall what it had just done, another message popped up
saying " we cannot revert back to the previous state... your computer may not
work now" (or something to that effect).

When I rebooted... I discovered how correct that statement was. My pc was
basically destroyed. I had so many error messages and blue screens that
there was no way to go back to the configuration prior to the attempted SP3
install.

Fortunately, I had backed up everything about 1 month earlier using Norton
Ghost so I was able to quickly restore the pc - but had lost about 30 days of
data.

From that point on, I decided not to install SP3. But it seems that
auto-update has downloaded it and now I have a yellow shield in the taskbar
telling me that SP3 is ready to be installed.

I do not wiish to experience the disaster I had before and don't want that
yellow shield appearing -- and tempting me (or someone in my family who might
be using my pc) --- to create another disaster.. but I cannot find a way to
stop it form appearing. Clicking on it and then clicking cancel doesn't get
it out of the taskbar.

Can anyone here tell me how to get that update shield out of the taskbar so
nobody is tempted to click on it?
Alan

Re: SP3 Update
Hi loren,

You can download a 'Service Pack Blocker' tool from Microsoft at

This will allow you to turn on Automatic Updates, but keep SP3 from
automatically being downloaded and installed for '12 months following
general availability' -- so it should be effective until May, 2009.

Alan

"loren" <loren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 8300 pentium4, 2.6 ghz, 4 gb ram, ATI videocard,
> Windows XP SP2.
>
> Two months ago, I attempted to let Windows update install SP 3. After 1
> 1/2
> hrs, a message popped up telling me that it was unable to complete the
> install...would I like to uninstall what it had just done and revert back
> the previous mode. I clicked "yes" of course. After about 1 hr of
> attempting to uninstall what it had just done, another message popped up
> saying " we cannot revert back to the previous state... your computer may
> not
> work now" (or something to that effect).
>
> When I rebooted... I discovered how correct that statement was. My pc was
> basically destroyed. I had so many error messages and blue screens that
> there was no way to go back to the configuration prior to the attempted
> SP3
> install.
>
> Fortunately, I had backed up everything about 1 month earlier using Norton
> Ghost so I was able to quickly restore the pc - but had lost about 30 days
> of
> data.
>
> From that point on, I decided not to install SP3. But it seems that
> auto-update has downloaded it and now I have a yellow shield in the
> taskbar
> telling me that SP3 is ready to be installed.
>
> I do not wiish to experience the disaster I had before and don't want that
> yellow shield appearing -- and tempting me (or someone in my family who
> might
> be using my pc) --- to create another disaster.. but I cannot find a way
> stop it form appearing. Clicking on it and then clicking cancel doesn't
> get
> it out of the taskbar.
>
> Can anyone here tell me how to get that update shield out of the taskbar
> so
> nobody is tempted to click on it?

Alias

Re: SP3 Update
loren wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 pentium4, 2.6 ghz, 4 gb ram, ATI videocard,
> Windows XP SP2.
>
> Two months ago, I attempted to let Windows update install SP 3. After 1 1/2
> hrs, a message popped up telling me that it was unable to complete the
> install...would I like to uninstall what it had just done and revert back to
> the previous mode. I clicked "yes" of course. After about 1 hr of
> attempting to uninstall what it had just done, another message popped up
> saying " we cannot revert back to the previous state... your computer may not
> work now" (or something to that effect).
>
> When I rebooted... I discovered how correct that statement was. My pc was
> basically destroyed. I had so many error messages and blue screens that
> there was no way to go back to the configuration prior to the attempted SP3
> install.
>
> Fortunately, I had backed up everything about 1 month earlier using Norton
> Ghost so I was able to quickly restore the pc - but had lost about 30 days of
> data.
>
> From that point on, I decided not to install SP3. But it seems that
> auto-update has downloaded it and now I have a yellow shield in the taskbar
> telling me that SP3 is ready to be installed.
>
> I do not wiish to experience the disaster I had before and don't want that
> yellow shield appearing -- and tempting me (or someone in my family who might
> be using my pc) --- to create another disaster.. but I cannot find a way to
> stop it form appearing. Clicking on it and then clicking cancel doesn't get
> it out of the taskbar.
>
> Can anyone here tell me how to get that update shield out of the taskbar so
> nobody is tempted to click on it?

Click on it. Choose Custom install. Untick SP3. When a box pops up
asking if you want to never be told about this update, tick the
appropriate box. Done.

If you want to control Windows Updates, right click on My
Computer/Properties/Automatic Updates tab and choose Turn Off Automatic
Updates and the yellow shield will disappear until you turn in on again.

Alias
loren

Re: SP3 Update
Alan, thanks for your quick reply.

I just looked at that link and it appears to stop the download, but in my
case I believe it's already downloaded and ready to install because when I
click on the shield it says: "updates are ready for your computer. click here
to INSTALL these updates."

Am I correct in assuming that the cat is already in the henhouse and I need
a different solution?

Loren

"Alan" wrote:

> Hi loren,
>
> You can download a 'Service Pack Blocker' tool from Microsoft at
>
> This will allow you to turn on Automatic Updates, but keep SP3 from
> automatically being downloaded and installed for '12 months following
> general availability' -- so it should be effective until May, 2009.
>
> Alan
>
> "loren" <loren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Dell Dimension 8300 pentium4, 2.6 ghz, 4 gb ram, ATI videocard,
> > Windows XP SP2.
> >
> > Two months ago, I attempted to let Windows update install SP 3. After 1
> > 1/2
> > hrs, a message popped up telling me that it was unable to complete the
> > install...would I like to uninstall what it had just done and revert back
> > the previous mode. I clicked "yes" of course. After about 1 hr of
> > attempting to uninstall what it had just done, another message popped up
> > saying " we cannot revert back to the previous state... your computer may
> > not
> > work now" (or something to that effect).
> >
> > When I rebooted... I discovered how correct that statement was. My pc was
> > basically destroyed. I had so many error messages and blue screens that
> > there was no way to go back to the configuration prior to the attempted
> > SP3
> > install.
> >
> > Fortunately, I had backed up everything about 1 month earlier using Norton
> > Ghost so I was able to quickly restore the pc - but had lost about 30 days
> > of
> > data.
> >
> > From that point on, I decided not to install SP3. But it seems that
> > auto-update has downloaded it and now I have a yellow shield in the
> > taskbar
> > telling me that SP3 is ready to be installed.
> >
> > I do not wiish to experience the disaster I had before and don't want that
> > yellow shield appearing -- and tempting me (or someone in my family who
> > might
> > be using my pc) --- to create another disaster.. but I cannot find a way
> > stop it form appearing. Clicking on it and then clicking cancel doesn't
> > get
> > it out of the taskbar.
> >
> > Can anyone here tell me how to get that update shield out of the taskbar
> > so
> > nobody is tempted to click on it?

loren

Re: SP3 Update
That did it.

I saw that box earlier but was afraid that it would stop all future updates
of any kind which I really didn't want to stop . I still want future auto
updates but not SP3.

Since SP3 is apparently already downloaded and ready to install, can I find
it and just delete it from my pc? If so, what is the file name and what
directory should I look in?

> If you want to control Windows Updates, right click on My
> Computer/Properties/Automatic Updates tab and choose Turn Off Automatic
> Updates and the yellow shield will disappear until you turn in on again.
>
> Alias

Alias

Re: SP3 Update
loren wrote:
> That did it.
>
> I saw that box earlier but was afraid that it would stop all future updates
> of any kind which I really didn't want to stop . I still want future auto
> updates but not SP3.

It will only stop the updates you've unticked. On the computer that only
has SP2, SP3, WGA and IE7 are blocked but I still get all the other updates.

> Since SP3 is apparently already downloaded and ready to install, can I find
> it and just delete it from my pc? If so, what is the file name and what
> directory should I look in?

I don't know. What I do know is that I never install SP3 except after a
fresh clean install. You might want to try searching with all files
unhidden for sp3 or sp3.exe. Either that or just leave it alone and not
worry about it.

Alias

>> If you want to control Windows Updates, right click on My
>> Computer/Properties/Automatic Updates tab and choose Turn Off Automatic
>> Updates and the yellow shield will disappear until you turn in on again.
>>
>> Alias

loren

Re: SP3 Update

> > I saw that box earlier but was afraid that it would stop all future updates
> > of any kind which I really didn't want to stop . I still want future auto
> > updates but not SP3.

> It will only stop the updates you've unticked. On the computer that only
> has SP2, SP3, WGA and IE7 are blocked but I still get all the other updates.

Perfect!

> I don't know. What I do know is that I never install SP3 except after a
> fresh clean install. You might want to try searching with all files
> unhidden for sp3 or sp3.exe. Either that or just leave it alone and not
> worry about it.

Thank you.. I think I'll leave it alone since your answer above resolves my
questions.

Thanks for your help and advice!
Alias

Re: SP3 Update
loren wrote:
>>> I saw that box earlier but was afraid that it would stop all future updates
>>> of any kind which I really didn't want to stop . I still want future auto
>>> updates but not SP3.

>> It will only stop the updates you've unticked. On the computer that only
>> has SP2, SP3, WGA and IE7 are blocked but I still get all the other updates.

> Perfect!
>

>> I don't know. What I do know is that I never install SP3 except after a
>> fresh clean install. You might want to try searching with all files
>> unhidden for sp3 or sp3.exe. Either that or just leave it alone and not
>> worry about it.
>>

> Thank you.. I think I'll leave it alone since your answer above resolves my
> questions.
>
> Thanks for your help and advice!

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Alias

Re: SP3 Update
How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/