Error 0x8007007B - Installing Service Pack 3

Heather

Error 0x8007007B - Installing Service Pack 3
I'm on Windows XP and I've tried twice to install Service Pack 3 on my work
computer. Both times it will not completely install because it "fails to
copy" a wma of Symphony #9 (which I do believe I deleted off of this computer
a long time ago). It tells me to try to locate the file or "instert" Windows
Service Pack 3 into the "drive" (doesn't say which drive). I click "rety" and
it tells me the same thing again, so I click "browse." I see the file right
there, so I click "okay" and "rety" again. Then I get the same message again,
so I click "cancel" to try to just skip this file (because, hey, it's not
really an important file!), and then it cancels out of the whole instalation
of SP3 and I have to wait 5-10 minutes for Windows to uninstall what all it
has installed, and then restart my computer. There is no option to skip this
file, just "retry," "browse," and "cancel."

On the "Update History" of the Windows Update site it tells me this install
failed because of "Error 0x8007007B."

It's annoying me that it seems that this unimportant music file is causing
the whole install to fail. What's odd is that SP3 installed on my home
computer, no problem, even though I am sure I deleted the same wma off of my
home machine. Please help...
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 0x8007007B - Installing Service Pack 3
You need to share or edit the Permissions of the subfolder Documents in
order to allow SP3 to access it. The GUI shows Shared Documents.
IIRC, the path to the .wma is
Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music

The subfolder (Shared) Documents either needs to be shared, '"Allow
Network Users to Change My Files", or, it needs it's Perms edited to
allow System Full Control.
If this is XP Home, you'll need to boot to Safe Mode and log on with the
Administrator account to access the Security tab for said subfolder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Heather wrote:

> I'm on Windows XP and I've tried twice to install Service Pack 3 on my work
> computer. Both times it will not completely install because it "fails to
> copy" a wma of Symphony #9 (which I do believe I deleted off of this computer
> a long time ago). It tells me to try to locate the file or "instert" Windows
> Service Pack 3 into the "drive" (doesn't say which drive). I click "rety" and
> it tells me the same thing again, so I click "browse." I see the file right
> there, so I click "okay" and "rety" again. Then I get the same message again,
> so I click "cancel" to try to just skip this file (because, hey, it's not
> really an important file!), and then it cancels out of the whole instalation
> of SP3 and I have to wait 5-10 minutes for Windows to uninstall what all it
> has installed, and then restart my computer. There is no option to skip this
> file, just "retry," "browse," and "cancel."
>
> On the "Update History" of the Windows Update site it tells me this install
> failed because of "Error 0x8007007B."
>
> It's annoying me that it seems that this unimportant music file is causing
> the whole install to fail. What's odd is that SP3 installed on my home
> computer, no problem, even though I am sure I deleted the same wma off of my
> home machine. Please help...

Re: Error 0x8007007B - Installing Service Pack 3
See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...abe77f372924ae

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Heather wrote:
> I'm on Windows XP and I've tried twice to install Service Pack 3 on my
> work
> computer. Both times it will not completely install because it "fails to
> copy" a wma of Symphony #9 (which I do believe I deleted off of this
> computer a long time ago). It tells me to try to locate the file or
> "instert" Windows Service Pack 3 into the "drive" (doesn't say which
> drive). I click "rety" and it tells me the same thing again, so I click
> "browse." I see the file right there, so I click "okay" and "rety" again.
> Then I get the same message again, so I click "cancel" to try to just skip
> this file (because, hey, it's not really an important file!), and then it
> cancels out of the whole instalation of SP3 and I have to wait 5-10
> minutes
> for Windows to uninstall what all it has installed, and then restart my
> computer. There is no option to skip this file, just "retry," "browse,"
> and
> "cancel."
>
> On the "Update History" of the Windows Update site it tells me this
> install
> failed because of "Error 0x8007007B."
>
> It's annoying me that it seems that this unimportant music file is causing
> the whole install to fail. What's odd is that SP3 installed on my home
> computer, no problem, even though I am sure I deleted the same wma off of
> my
> home machine. Please help...

Heather

Re: Error 0x8007007B - Installing Service Pack 3
I will try this tomorrow when I get to work.