Update Installation Problems

John

Update Installation Problems
Did you ever find out what the problem was? I am having the same issue now on my laptop, with what looks to be the same updates. Also, I am unable to install Windows Live programs... failed install with no reason given. Is this perhaps a OS verification lockout? or a SP3 issue? It seems to only be Microsoft stuff.

Any help would be most appreciative.

Thanks! -john
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Update Installation Problems
See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Do Method 1. If no joy, install the latest Version of the Windows Update
Agent [WUA] as described in Method 2.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

John wrote:

> Did you ever find out what the problem was? I am having the same issue now on my laptop, with what looks to be the same updates. Also, I am unable to install Windows Live programs... failed install with no reason given. Is this perhaps a OS verification lockout? or a SP3 issue? It seems to only be Microsoft stuff.
>
> Any help would be most appreciative.
>
> Thanks! -john

Zazu

Re: Windows update not working

John;3977702 Wrote:
> Did you ever find out what the problem was? I am having the same issue
> now on my laptop, with what looks to be the same updates. Also, I am
> unable to install Windows Live programs... failed install with no reason
> given. Is this perhaps a OS verification lockout? or a SP3 issue? It
> seems to only be Microsoft stuff.
>
> Any help would be most appreciative.
>
> Thanks! -john

hey did you get it fixed. cos i have the exact same problem as you on
my laptop and desktop and i can't instal windows live stuff on my
laptop. please get back to me

--
Zazu
Zazu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/112269.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows update not working
<snipped by way of web forum synchronization>

Zazu wrote:
> hey did you get it fixed. cos i have the exact same problem as you
> on my laptop and desktop and i can't instal windows live stuff on my
> laptop. please get back to me

Seriously? More web forum responses to really old web forum posts?

Here is the complete thread...
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b8d85ca0903938

Did you try anything from it?

If so (or if not) try this:

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Reboot and ...

Search your registry for %fystem and replace the "f" with an "s". May be
three or four matches, may be none. You may even have to take ownership
(even after doing the above) of the keys in order to make the change.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

and..

Log on as an user with administrative rights (assuming you are in this case
- given your problem) and open Internet Explorer and visit
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

You may want to run a second scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes
after everything is updated.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP