updated windows, now mouse and keyboard don't work. Help!

Dave S

updated windows, now mouse and keyboard don't work. Help!
I'm running windows xp. Automatic updates just downloaded and installed the
latest updates. After the system rebooted, my touch pad and keyboard don't
work. I tried plugging in an external mouse to a usb port, and it didn't
work either. I restarted in safe mode, and I was able to use the keyboard to
get into safe mode, but once there, the mouse and keyboard don't work. I
also tried going to the last good known configuration, but it did not work
either. I don't know what happened, and have no idea what to do from here.
Any help would be great!

Re: updated windows, now mouse and keyboard don't work. Help!
CrystalBall© sez...

Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791

Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not show
any network connections after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dave S wrote:
> I'm running windows xp. Automatic updates just downloaded and installed
> the
> latest updates. After the system rebooted, my touch pad and keyboard
> don't
> work. I tried plugging in an external mouse to a usb port, and it didn't
> work either. I restarted in safe mode, and I was able to use the keyboard
> to get into safe mode, but once there, the mouse and keyboard don't work.
> also tried going to the last good known configuration, but it did not work
> either. I don't know what happened, and have no idea what to do from
> here.
> Any help would be great!

johnLish

RE: updated windows, now mouse and keyboard don't work. Help!
Updates disabled my mouse buttons and USB keyboard.
I had to rebot with a PS2 keyboard into safe mode.
Once in safe mode I did a System restore to a July snapshot and all was well
again.
That night, auto update struck again and I had to repeat the process, to
validate it was being hosed by the update and not a MB problem, I reflashed
the BIOs to the latest rev but didn't turn off the auto update.
The next morning, the mouse and USB keyboard were non functioning,
confirming the Auto update was the culprit.
So I did the safe mode system restore again and have now turned off the Auto
update.

BTW, PA Bear, please don't bother posting a a response to a problem without
having anything more than unrelated links. People get to this page because we
already know how to search, and and responses without direct answers are just
noise.

"Dave S" wrote:

> I'm running windows xp. Automatic updates just downloaded and installed the
> latest updates. After the system rebooted, my touch pad and keyboard don't
> work. I tried plugging in an external mouse to a usb port, and it didn't
> work either. I restarted in safe mode, and I was able to use the keyboard to
> get into safe mode, but once there, the mouse and keyboard don't work. I
> also tried going to the last good known configuration, but it did not work
> either. I don't know what happened, and have no idea what to do from here.
> Any help would be great!

Harry Johnston [MVP]

johnLish wrote:

> BTW, PA Bear, please don't bother posting a a response to a problem without
> having anything more than unrelated links. People get to this page because we
> already know how to search, and and responses without direct answers are just
> noise.

So, what you're saying is that you only want a response from someone who already
knows exactly what is wrong with your particular machine? Good luck with that.

Harry.

Re: updated windows, now mouse and keyboard don't work. Help!
I wouldn't deign to reply to your "Me, too!" post in the first place but
since Harry's pointed it out to me, I will (but I'd never reply to anymore
of your replies):

What full Windows version are *you* running? (Dave S didn't bother telling
us either.)

What updates did *you* install? (ditto)

Have *you* opened a free support incident? (Since you're obviously familiar
with my posts, I needn't bother reposting information about how to open a
free support incident.)

PS: ES&D