KB951978 fails to install every time

Dana Brown

KB951978 fails to install every time
Hi,
I am running Windows XP Home edition with SP3 on a Dell Laptop.
Windows Update keeps trying to install KB951978 and it fails every time.
I would appreciate any help someone could provide.
--
Thank you,
Dana
TaurArian

Re: KB951978 fails to install every time
And the error code is?

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows
Server Update Services installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

How to view the Update log in Windows:-

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate the error
code(s) associated with the latest failed attempt to download/install. If
appropriate copy and paste the error codes into this thread so someone may
be able to assist you. On the other hand, you may be able to find the error
code and other suggestions by searching the Newsgroup.

Also check Windows folder for file called KB******.log (****** = number of
update ie KB896688) and post the contents of the failed update.
This may provide further clues as to why the update failed.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Dana Brown" <DanaBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am running Windows XP Home edition with SP3 on a Dell Laptop.
> Windows Update keeps trying to install KB951978 and it fails every time.
> I would appreciate any help someone could provide.
> --
> Thank you,
> Dana

Re: KB951978 fails to install every time
Can you install it manually? See download links here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951978

CrystalBall© also sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dana Brown wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Home edition with SP3 on a Dell Laptop.
> Windows Update keeps trying to install KB951978 and it fails every time.
> I would appreciate any help someone could provide.

Dana Brown

RE: KB951978 fails to install every time
Sorry, error code for kb951978 is always " 0x80070003".
--
Thank you,
Dana

"Dana Brown" wrote:

> Hi,
> I am running Windows XP Home edition with SP3 on a Dell Laptop.
> Windows Update keeps trying to install KB951978 and it fails every time.
> I would appreciate any help someone could provide.
> --
> Thank you,
> Dana

Dana Brown

Re: KB951978 fails to install every time
Thank you. I was able to install it manually.
--
Thank you,
Dana

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Can you install it manually? See download links here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951978

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>
> CrystalBall© also sez...
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Dana Brown wrote:
> > I am running Windows XP Home edition with SP3 on a Dell Laptop.
> > Windows Update keeps trying to install KB951978 and it fails every time.
> > I would appreciate any help someone could provide.

TaurArian

RE: KB951978 fails to install every time
FYI -

You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an
update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server
Update Services
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336

Error message when you use the Windows Update Web site or Microsoft Update
Web site to install updates: "0x80070002"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956698

I see a manual download of the file seems to have fixed your problem so if
you get the error code again, see the above articles.

Thank you.
--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"Dana Brown" wrote:

> Sorry, error code for kb951978 is always " 0x80070003".
> --
> Thank you,
> Dana
>

> "Dana Brown" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am running Windows XP Home edition with SP3 on a Dell Laptop.
> > Windows Update keeps trying to install KB951978 and it fails every time.
> > I would appreciate any help someone could provide.
> > --
> > Thank you,
> > Dana

Re: KB951978 fails to install every time
YW & thanks for your feedback. I suspect your anti-virus application or an
anti-spyware application was the troublemaker here, Dana.

Dana Brown wrote:
> Thank you. I was able to install it manually.
>
>> Can you install it manually? See download links here:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951978
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> "Windows
>> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>>
>> CrystalBall© also sez...
>>
>> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>> Microsoft
>> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
>> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Dana Brown wrote:
>>> I am running Windows XP Home edition with SP3 on a Dell Laptop.
>>> Windows Update keeps trying to install KB951978 and it fails every time.
>>> I would appreciate any help someone could provide.

Marco

RE: KB951978 fails to install every time
I'm having the same problem, and I was unable to install manually. I'm
running Windows XP SP3 through VMWare Fusion on a Mac OS X Leopard Macbook.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> FYI -
>
> You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an
> update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server
> Update Services
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336
>
> Error message when you use the Windows Update Web site or Microsoft Update
> Web site to install updates: "0x80070002"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956698
>

> I see a manual download of the file seems to have fixed your problem so if
> you get the error code again, see the above articles.
>
> Thank you.
> --
> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Dana Brown" wrote:
>
> > Sorry, error code for kb951978 is always " 0x80070003".
> > --
> > Thank you,
> > Dana
> >

> > "Dana Brown" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I am running Windows XP Home edition with SP3 on a Dell Laptop.
> > > Windows Update keeps trying to install KB951978 and it fails every time.
> > > I would appreciate any help someone could provide.
> > > --
> > > Thank you,
> > > Dana

Re: KB951978 fails to install every time
Running the most recent version of BootCamp?

Marco wrote:
> I'm having the same problem, and I was unable to install manually. I'm
> running Windows XP SP3 through VMWare Fusion on a Mac OS X Leopard
> Macbook.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> FYI -
>>
>> You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download
>> an
>> update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server
>> Update Services
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336
>>
>> Error message when you use the Windows Update Web site or Microsoft
>> Update
>> Web site to install updates: "0x80070002"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956698
>>

>> I see a manual download of the file seems to have fixed your problem so
>> if
>> you get the error code again, see the above articles.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> --
>> --------------------------------
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
>> Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>>

>> "Dana Brown" wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, error code for kb951978 is always " 0x80070003".
>>> --
>>> Thank you,
>>> Dana

Marco

Re: KB951978 fails to install every time
Yes, most recent version of Boot Camp, fully updated OS X, and the latest
version of Fusion (though the problem was occurring both before and after I
downloaded the new version of Fusion). I should have noted that I'm running
Windows XP Professional, not Home, in case that makes a difference.