windows millenium

hersten11

windows millenium
please help
i cannot use my control panel
i get the message "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in
effect on this computer please contact your system administrator"
any advice please.

Re: windows millenium
How does this pertain to Windows Update?

hersten11 wrote:
> please help
> i cannot use my control panel
> i get the message "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions
> in
> effect on this computer please contact your system administrator"
> any advice please.

TaurArian

RE: windows millenium
Try: Windows Me Newsgroup
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e... lang=en&cr=US

or see if anything related to your problem in this area:
For specific issues with Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6519

--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"hersten11" wrote:

> please help
> i cannot use my control panel
> i get the message "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in
> effect on this computer please contact your system administrator"
> any advice please.

Gillybeans

RE: windows millenium

--
Gillybeans

"hersten11" wrote:

> please help
> i cannot use my control panel
> i get the message "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in
> effect on this computer please contact your system administrator"
> any advice please.

Gillybeans

RE: windows millenium

--
Gillybeans
I am unable to start a new thread so I am replying to this post instead. I

> --
> Gillybeans
>

> "hersten11" wrote:
>
> > please help
> > i cannot use my control panel
> > i get the message "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in
> > effect on this computer please contact your system administrator"
> > any advice please.

Michael

Re: windows millenium
"Gillybeans" <Gillybeans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> Gillybeans
> I am unable to start a new thread so I am replying to this post instead.
> have Windows ME - my computer is working except all the icons on the
> screen
> are blurred as if the pixels are all wrong ( I have tried to change this
> on
> the control panel but unsuccessful). Anyway the CD drive doesn't seem to
> be
> working either (when I put a disc in, it asks me to insert disc). I have
> loads of photos on the hard drive and wanted to transfer them to a CD
> which I
> am unable to do as the CD drive isn't working. I used a memory stick but
> was asked to insert the disc 'works suite 2000' which I am unable to do as
> the CD Drive isn't working. Please Help!

....and your windows update question is???
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Bill

Re: windows millenium
Gillybeans

There is a newsgroup named microsoft.public.windowsme.general that would be
the best place for an answer.

"Gillybeans" <Gillybeans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> Gillybeans
> I am unable to start a new thread so I am replying to this post instead.
> have Windows ME - my computer is working except all the icons on the
> screen
> are blurred as if the pixels are all wrong ( I have tried to change this
> on
> the control panel but unsuccessful). Anyway the CD drive doesn't seem to
> be
> working either (when I put a disc in, it asks me to insert disc). I have
> loads of photos on the hard drive and wanted to transfer them to a CD
> which I
> am unable to do as the CD drive isn't working. I used a memory stick but
> was asked to insert the disc 'works suite 2000' which I am unable to do as
> the CD Drive isn't working. Please Help!
>

>> --
>> Gillybeans
>>

>> "hersten11" wrote:
>>
>> > please help
>> > i cannot use my control panel
>> > i get the message "this operation has been cancelled due to
>> > restrictions in
>> > effect on this computer please contact your system administrator"
>> > any advice please.

Mart

Re: windows millenium
"Gillybeans"

Probably best tackle one problem at a time. - if you are able to find this
reply!

>> I have Windows ME - my computer is working except
>> all the icons on the screen are blurred as if the pixels
>> are all wrong ( I have tried to change this on the control
>> panel but unsuccessful).

You imply that only the desktop icons are affected.

First - make sure that you have your Folder Options set so that you can view
System files and folders, and Hidden Files. Then - Open Windows Explorer and
go to c:\Windows - look there for the file called
'ShellIconCache'.
DELETE IT
reboot, and windows will rebuild the file.

If that doesn't fix it, then you'll probably need to increase the size of
the cache - download and install the 'IconCache Fix' from
http://www.aumha.org/reg1.htm

If you find this reply and you want further help in WinMe, follow Bill's
advice and reply only to the microsoft.public.widowsme.general group by
editing out the windowsupdate group from the send address. Worry about the
CD drive later.

Mart

"Bill" <willy@home.om> wrote in message
> Gillybeans
>
> There is a newsgroup named microsoft.public.windowsme.general that would
> be the best place for an answer.
>

> "Gillybeans" <Gillybeans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> --
>> Gillybeans
>> I am unable to start a new thread so I am replying to this post instead.
>> have Windows ME - my computer is working except all the icons on the
>> screen
>> are blurred as if the pixels are all wrong ( I have tried to change this
>> on
>> the control panel but unsuccessful). Anyway the CD drive doesn't seem to
>> be
>> working either (when I put a disc in, it asks me to insert disc). I have
>> loads of photos on the hard drive and wanted to transfer them to a CD
>> which I
>> am unable to do as the CD drive isn't working. I used a memory stick but
>> was asked to insert the disc 'works suite 2000' which I am unable to do
>> as
>> the CD Drive isn't working. Please Help!
>>

>>> --
>>> Gillybeans

Gillybeans

Re: windows millenium
Thanks Mart. Sorry but I got it wrong - its not the Icons that are blurred,
its the background. Its mainly grey with a bit of dull colour here and
there. The bottom of each icon (i.e. what the icon is e.g. Recycle Bin) is
grey and the toolbars are grey. As I said before all the photographs are
distorted as if the pixels are sky high. I tried your first suggestion and
deleted ShellIconCache but that didn't work. The PC is not linked to the
internet - I have wireless broadband on my laptop but not sure how to connect
the pc?

Many Thanks
Gillybeans.
--
Gillybeans

"Mart" wrote:

> "Gillybeans"
>
> Probably best tackle one problem at a time. - if you are able to find this
> reply!
>
> >> I have Windows ME - my computer is working except
> >> all the icons on the screen are blurred as if the pixels
> >> are all wrong ( I have tried to change this on the control
> >> panel but unsuccessful).

> You imply that only the desktop icons are affected.
>
> First - make sure that you have your Folder Options set so that you can view
> System files and folders, and Hidden Files. Then - Open Windows Explorer and
> go to c:\Windows - look there for the file called
> 'ShellIconCache'.
> DELETE IT
> reboot, and windows will rebuild the file.
>
> If that doesn't fix it, then you'll probably need to increase the size of
> the cache - download and install the 'IconCache Fix' from
> http://www.aumha.org/reg1.htm
>
> If you find this reply and you want further help in WinMe, follow Bill's
> advice and reply only to the microsoft.public.widowsme.general group by
> editing out the windowsupdate group from the send address. Worry about the
> CD drive later.
>
> Mart
>

> "Bill" <willy@home.om> wrote in message
> > Gillybeans
> >
> > There is a newsgroup named microsoft.public.windowsme.general that would
> > be the best place for an answer.
> >

> > "Gillybeans" <Gillybeans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gillybeans
> >> I am unable to start a new thread so I am replying to this post instead.
> >> have Windows ME - my computer is working except all the icons on the
> >> screen
> >> are blurred as if the pixels are all wrong ( I have tried to change this
> >> on
> >> the control panel but unsuccessful). Anyway the CD drive doesn't seem to
> >> be
> >> working either (when I put a disc in, it asks me to insert disc). I have
> >> loads of photos on the hard drive and wanted to transfer them to a CD
> >> which I
> >> am unable to do as the CD drive isn't working. I used a memory stick but
> >> was asked to insert the disc 'works suite 2000' which I am unable to do
> >> as
> >> the CD Drive isn't working. Please Help!

> .

Mart

Re: windows millenium
In which case, it sounds from here that your video display *may* be set as
256 colours (or even 16 colours).

Have you looked at your Display Properties (Right-click on your desktop,
select Properties and then the Settings tab. What is the "Color quality"?
Should be 16 bit or better. See if you can improve it. If not, you *may*
have to re-install your video drivers.

Has this just 'suddenly happened' ? Might also be worth looking Device
Manager at your Display Adapter setting and see if it matches the correct
one for your laptop. Have you still got the manufacturers installation
disks?

Mart