error 8024400D on Vista SP1 x86

Charlie Russell

error 8024400D on Vista SP1 x86
I am unable to run Windows Update due to a constant error code. I have tried
many fixes on the internet from clearing my cache in IE and turning off WU
then turning it back on to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions of where to
look next?
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: error 8024400D on Vista SP1 x86
8024400D WU_E_PT_SOAP_CLIENT
The message was malformed or incomplete;
An unspecified error occurred using WMI

First, verify the Winmanagement Depository by following the steps laid
out here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555962

If you receive a "WMI repository is not consistent" message, then follow
Step 3 to salvage WMI.

If doing the above fails to resolve error 8024400D, download and save AU
Check (v78):
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263

When the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.
*IF* a 3rd party firewall is being used, temporarily disable it and
*enable* the native Vista firewall for now.
Now run au_check_v78_codeplex.exe.
Reboot afterwards and try to update.
Did that resolve the error code ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Charlie Russell wrote:

> I am unable to run Windows Update due to a constant error code. I have tried
> many fixes on the internet from clearing my cache in IE and turning off WU
> then turning it back on to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions of where to
> look next?

Re: error 8024400D on Vista SP1 x86
Did you install Vista SP1 manually or via Windows Update?

Try the following, logged-in as Administrator:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start | Run | (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution | [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

[NB: You may need to delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution <=this entire
folder manually.]

3. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

4. Read & heed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Charlie Russell wrote:
> I am unable to run Windows Update due to a constant error code. I have
> tried many fixes on the internet from clearing my cache in IE and turning
> off WU then turning it back on to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions
> of
> where to look next?

Charlie Russell

Re: error 8024400D on Vista SP1 x86
AU Check fixed my issues! Thanks so much for help.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 8024400D WU_E_PT_SOAP_CLIENT
> The message was malformed or incomplete;
> An unspecified error occurred using WMI
>
> First, verify the Winmanagement Depository by following the steps laid
> out here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555962
>
> If you receive a "WMI repository is not consistent" message, then follow
> Step 3 to salvage WMI.
>
> If doing the above fails to resolve error 8024400D, download and save AU
> Check (v78):
> http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263
>
> When the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.
> *IF* a 3rd party firewall is being used, temporarily disable it and
> *enable* the native Vista firewall for now.
> Now run au_check_v78_codeplex.exe.
> Reboot afterwards and try to update.
> Did that resolve the error code ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Charlie Russell wrote:
>
> > I am unable to run Windows Update due to a constant error code. I have tried
> > many fixes on the internet from clearing my cache in IE and turning off WU
> > then turning it back on to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions of where to
> > look next?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: error 8024400D on Vista SP1 x86
You're mowst welcome ... and thanks go to Eddie Bowers for authoring the
tool, too !

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten