Service pack 3: Fatal Error in Outlook Express

waynrayn

Service pack 3: Fatal Error in Outlook Express
Hi:

I and my girlfriend both use the same laptop.

After I installed Service pack 3 (I still use XP), my girlfriend is having
problems with Outlook Express, within her login, although I am not. I am an
administrator; she is not. Her Outlook Express keeps having a fatal error and
needs to close. I do not seem to have this issue in my login.

Some of the details of the error are:

Error Signature

AppName: msimn.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512 ModName: fsscgui.dll
Modver: 6.80.2750.0 Offset: 00017593

.... Any ideas for fixing this?

Thanks very much,

Wayne
Victoria, BC
Canada

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Service pack 3: Fatal Error in Outlook Express
"waynrayn" <waynrayn@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> After I installed Service pack 3 (I still use XP), my girlfriend is having
> problems with Outlook Express, within her login, although I am not. I am an
> administrator; she is not. Her Outlook Express keeps having a fatal error and
> needs to close. I do not seem to have this issue in my login.
>
> Some of the details of the error are:
>
> Error Signature
>
> AppName: msimn.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512 ModName: fsscgui.dll
> Modver: 6.80.2750.0 Offset: 00017593
>
> ... Any ideas for fixing this?

Since fsscgui.dll seems to be related to F-Secure applications, you
may want to try searching on this end and check with F-Secure's
support.

Bye,
Freudi
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Service pack 3: Fatal Error in Outlook Express
fsscgui.dll belongs to F-Secure:
http://forum.f-secure.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6639

The F-Secure plugin for Office is causing the issue.
Scanning incoming email is redundant, eg. if one attempts to open an
infected attachment, the antivirus will either quarantine or delete it,
depending upon the AVs settings. As long as the AV is kept up to date
with it's latest definitions, then scanning incoming emails presents
more issues than it's worth.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

waynrayn wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I and my girlfriend both use the same laptop.
>
> After I installed Service pack 3 (I still use XP), my girlfriend is having
> problems with Outlook Express, within her login, although I am not. I am an
> administrator; she is not. Her Outlook Express keeps having a fatal error and
> needs to close. I do not seem to have this issue in my login.
>
> Some of the details of the error are:
>
> Error Signature
>
> AppName: msimn.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512 ModName: fsscgui.dll
> Modver: 6.80.2750.0 Offset: 00017593
>
> ... Any ideas for fixing this?
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Wayne
> Victoria, BC
> Canada

Re: Service pack 3: Fatal Error in Outlook Express
[X-post to OE General]

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application (F-Secure). It
provides no additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

waynrayn wrote:
> I and my girlfriend both use the same laptop.
>
> After I installed Service pack 3 (I still use XP), my girlfriend is having
> problems with Outlook Express, within her login, although I am not. I am
> an
> administrator; she is not. Her Outlook Express keeps having a fatal error
> and needs to close. I do not seem to have this issue in my login.
>
> Some of the details of the error are:
>
> Error Signature
>
> AppName: msimn.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512 ModName: fsscgui.dll
> Modver: 6.80.2750.0 Offset: 00017593
>
> ... Any ideas for fixing this?
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Wayne
> Victoria, BC
> Canada

waynrayn

RE: Service pack 3: Fatal Error in Outlook Express
Thanks very much for this suggestion. I had in fact installed a newer version
of FF Secure just prior to Service Pack 3, but didn't think they were
related. (Maybe they weren't; possibly FF Secure only became an issue after
Service Pack 3 was installed.)

In any case, I can certainly try uninstalling and re-installing the new FF
Secure version over Service Pack 3, instead of the other way around.

~W~
waynrayn

Re: Service pack 3: Fatal Error in Outlook Express
Thanks for this consideration as well.

Regards,

Wayne

Re: Service pack 3: Fatal Error in Outlook Express
And you're replying to...?

waynrayn wrote:
> Thanks very much for this suggestion. I had in fact installed a newer
> version of FF Secure just prior to Service Pack 3, but didn't think they
> were related. (Maybe they weren't; possibly FF Secure only became an issue
> after Service Pack 3 was installed.)
>
> In any case, I can certainly try uninstalling and re-installing the new FF
> Secure version over Service Pack 3, instead of the other way around.
>
> ~W~

waynrayn

Re: Service pack 3: Fatal Error in Outlook Express
Apologies, I had intended this reply for the first respondant, Ottmar
Freudenberger. Unfortunately it ended up here, so I obviously hit something
wrong. However, I did appreciate your response as well.

Regards,

Wayne

jorgon

Re: Service pack 3: Fatal Error in Outlook Express

> After I installed Service pack 3 (I still use XP), my girlfriend is
> having
> problems with Outlook Express, within her login, although I am not. I
> am an
> administrator; she is not.

I had a similar problem, except that it was my wife whose Outlook
Express disappeared after installing Service Pack 3 on XP. I managed to
solve this, much to my wife's acclamation, by doing a file search on
"msimn.exe" which is OE's main executable. This was found in the folder
for the service pack (it was not found in the original
ProgramFiles\Outlook Express folder). I then right clicked on the
msimn.exe now found, and chose "send to .. desktop (create shortcut)"
then renamed this shortcut "Outlook Express", then removed the previous
shortcut which was now invalid. Extra dinner for me!

--
jorgon
jorgon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jorgon.htm

http://forums.techarena.in