Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Update using WinHTTP with authenticating proxies

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2008
George
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Update using WinHTTP with authenticating proxies
Used proxycfg tool with -u switch to set WinHTTP proxy settings to the
browser's manual proxy setting.

After clicking Custom link on Windows Update page an error page is received.
The listing of updates failed.

I am using an authenticating proxy and presumed authentication failed.

Used WinHTPtraceCfg tool to verify my assumption.

<<<<-------- HTTP stream follows below
----------------------------------------------->>>>
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authentication Required
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Proxy-Authenticate: BASIC realm="Client Public
Internet Access Proxy"
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Cache-Control: no-cache
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Pragma: no-cache
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Proxy-Connection: close
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Set-Cookie: BCSI-CSC0552F45=2; Path=/
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Connection: close
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Content-Length: 858
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* ::
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* ::
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: <<<<-------- End
----------------------------------------------->>>>
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: "www.update.microsoft.com" NOT resolved
22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: WinHttpSendRequest: error 12007
[ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]
22:50:18.633 ::*000000a* :: Using proxy server: my_proxy.com:80
22:50:18.683 ::*000000a* :: sending data:
22:50:18.693 ::*000000a* :: 231 (0xe7) bytes

Is there a configuration paramter for entering authentication credentials?

--
George
Internet Administrator
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2008
Diana
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update using WinHTTP with authenticating proxies
Hello,

Are you using ISA as your proxy server? If so, please check out the article
below

This KB basically has a list of URL’s that you configure ISA to allow
anonymous access to the Windows Update Site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885819

Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
CSS Security Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.



"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC7C39BC-69B7-402C-B9BB-B56181CA216B@microsoft.com...
> Used proxycfg tool with -u switch to set WinHTTP proxy settings to the
> browser's manual proxy setting.
>
> After clicking Custom link on Windows Update page an error page is
> received.
> The listing of updates failed.
>
> I am using an authenticating proxy and presumed authentication failed.
>
> Used WinHTPtraceCfg tool to verify my assumption.
>
> <<<<-------- HTTP stream follows below
> ----------------------------------------------->>>>
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authentication Required
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Proxy-Authenticate: BASIC realm="Client Public
> Internet Access Proxy"
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Cache-Control: no-cache
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Pragma: no-cache
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Proxy-Connection: close
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Set-Cookie: BCSI-CSC0552F45=2; Path=/
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Connection: close
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Content-Length: 858
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* ::
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* ::
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: <<<<-------- End
> ----------------------------------------------->>>>
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: "www.update.microsoft.com" NOT resolved
> 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: WinHttpSendRequest: error 12007
> [ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]
> 22:50:18.633 ::*000000a* :: Using proxy server: my_proxy.com:80
> 22:50:18.683 ::*000000a* :: sending data:
> 22:50:18.693 ::*000000a* :: 231 (0xe7) bytes
>
> Is there a configuration paramter for entering authentication credentials?
>
> --
> George
> Internet Administrator


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2008
George
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update using WinHTTP with authenticating proxies
Hi Diana,

Thank you for you reply and suggestion!!

I would do what you suggested but unfortunately I do not have
addministrative access to the proxies.


--
George
Internet Administrator


"Diana" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Are you using ISA as your proxy server? If so, please check out the article
> below
>
> This KB basically has a list of URL’s that you configure ISA to allow
> anonymous access to the Windows Update Site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885819
>
> Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
> CSS Security Team
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
>
>
> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsC7C39BC-69B7-402C-B9BB-B56181CA216B@microsoft.com...
> > Used proxycfg tool with -u switch to set WinHTTP proxy settings to the
> > browser's manual proxy setting.
> >
> > After clicking Custom link on Windows Update page an error page is
> > received.
> > The listing of updates failed.
> >
> > I am using an authenticating proxy and presumed authentication failed.
> >
> > Used WinHTPtraceCfg tool to verify my assumption.
> >
> > <<<<-------- HTTP stream follows below
> > ----------------------------------------------->>>>
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authentication Required
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Proxy-Authenticate: BASIC realm="Client Public
> > Internet Access Proxy"
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Cache-Control: no-cache
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Pragma: no-cache
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Proxy-Connection: close
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Set-Cookie: BCSI-CSC0552F45=2; Path=/
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Connection: close
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: Content-Length: 858
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* ::
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* ::
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: <<<<-------- End
> > ----------------------------------------------->>>>
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: "www.update.microsoft.com" NOT resolved
> > 22:50:18.613 ::*000000a* :: WinHttpSendRequest: error 12007
> > [ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]
> > 22:50:18.633 ::*000000a* :: Using proxy server: my_proxy.com:80
> > 22:50:18.683 ::*000000a* :: sending data:
> > 22:50:18.693 ::*000000a* :: 231 (0xe7) bytes
> >
> > Is there a configuration paramter for entering authentication credentials?
> >
> > --
> > George
> > Internet Administrator

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2008
Harry Johnston [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update using WinHTTP with authenticating proxies
George wrote:

> Used proxycfg tool with -u switch to set WinHTTP proxy settings to the
> browser's manual proxy setting.
>
> After clicking Custom link on Windows Update page an error page is received.
> The listing of updates failed.
>
> I am using an authenticating proxy and presumed authentication failed.


My understanding is that proxycfg configures proxy settings for noninteractive
use, so I would assume it is not able to cope with authenticating proxies.

However, I can confirm that Windows Update is able to cope with authenticating
proxies, I use it occasionally in this configuration. You need to configure the
proxy for Internet Explorer in the context of the user who is performing the
update rather than using proxycfg.

If you use proxycfg -d to set noninteractive use to direct access, Windows
Update should then work. Note that there will be very long delays, I presume
this is because the Windows Update Agent is attempting to access Windows Update
directly and timing out. However once the direct access times out it will then
try using the proxy and ask for authentication.

Harry.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2008
George
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update using WinHTTP with authenticating proxies
Hello Harry,

I did the proxycfg -d and repeated the Microsoft Update with the same error
results.

--
George
Internet Administrator


"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> George wrote:
>
> > Used proxycfg tool with -u switch to set WinHTTP proxy settings to the
> > browser's manual proxy setting.
> >
> > After clicking Custom link on Windows Update page an error page is received.
> > The listing of updates failed.
> >
> > I am using an authenticating proxy and presumed authentication failed.

>
> My understanding is that proxycfg configures proxy settings for noninteractive
> use, so I would assume it is not able to cope with authenticating proxies.
>
> However, I can confirm that Windows Update is able to cope with authenticating
> proxies, I use it occasionally in this configuration. You need to configure the
> proxy for Internet Explorer in the context of the user who is performing the
> update rather than using proxycfg.
>
> If you use proxycfg -d to set noninteractive use to direct access, Windows
> Update should then work. Note that there will be very long delays, I presume
> this is because the Windows Update Agent is attempting to access Windows Update
> directly and timing out. However once the direct access times out it will then
> try using the proxy and ask for authentication.
>
> Harry.
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2008
Harry Johnston [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update using WinHTTP with authenticating proxies
George wrote:

> I did the proxycfg -d and repeated the Microsoft Update with the same error
> results.


Is this Windows Update or Microsoft Update? Last time I tried, I believe
Microsoft Update did *not* work through an authenticating proxy. Windows Update
does, although as I said there are long delays.

Harry.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2008
George
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update using WinHTTP with authenticating proxies
MS update.

I was looking for verification that there has been no change.

Thanks
--
George
Internet Administrator


"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> George wrote:
>
> > I did the proxycfg -d and repeated the Microsoft Update with the same error
> > results.

>
> Is this Windows Update or Microsoft Update? Last time I tried, I believe
> Microsoft Update did *not* work through an authenticating proxy. Windows Update
> does, although as I said there are long delays.
>
> Harry.
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WINHTTP.DLL Mr None Technical Computer User microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 08-27-2008 01:21
Can not install winhttp 5.1 or bits 2 ThatsIT.net.au microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 03-02-2008 12:10
winhttp proxy con netsh. Nicolás Conde microsoft.public.es.windowsvista 3 02-16-2008 02:58
Problem authenticating Microsoft Windows Installer wiggy microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 12-16-2007 06:21
Authenticating Via Web (Trapeze Networks) j. gohil microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 04-03-2007 14:12




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:12.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120