KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS

matthew steward

KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS
ACER DESKTOP 1GB RAM, 320 GB HD, 1.6 GHZ.
Comodo 3 FW (v.378)
AVAST HOME EDITION v. 4.8.1229
SpySweeper v. 5.8 (build 55)
ST, SAS, A2antimalware on demand scanners
SpywareBlaster 4.1
IE 8 b2
I'd like a fix for this issue as I tried even removing my Comodo3 FW and
with resident protection AV OFF and downloading the setup from microsoft web
sites but it just won't install and constantly asks to install itself.
Contacted the microsoft support without success.

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
Analyse le : 2008-09-14 16:07:39

Re: KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS
Uninstall IE8 Beta 2 then try again.

matthew steward wrote:
> ACER DESKTOP 1GB RAM, 320 GB HD, 1.6 GHZ.
> Comodo 3 FW (v.378)
> AVAST HOME EDITION v. 4.8.1229
> SpySweeper v. 5.8 (build 55)
> ST, SAS, A2antimalware on demand scanners
> SpywareBlaster 4.1
> IE 8 b2
> I'd like a fix for this issue as I tried even removing my Comodo3 FW and
> with resident protection AV OFF and downloading the setup from microsoft
> web
> sites but it just won't install and constantly asks to install itself.
> Contacted the microsoft support without success.
>

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
> Analyse le : 2008-09-14 16:07:39

matthew steward

Re: KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS
You just can't uninstall IE8 b2 update. Impossible to go back to IE7!!! Not
to my knowledge. They warned me before installing it 4-5 weeks ago!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Uninstall IE8 Beta 2 then try again.
>
> matthew steward wrote:
>> ACER DESKTOP 1GB RAM, 320 GB HD, 1.6 GHZ.
>> Comodo 3 FW (v.378)
>> AVAST HOME EDITION v. 4.8.1229
>> SpySweeper v. 5.8 (build 55)
>> ST, SAS, A2antimalware on demand scanners
>> SpywareBlaster 4.1
>> IE 8 b2
>> I'd like a fix for this issue as I tried even removing my Comodo3 FW and
>> with resident protection AV OFF and downloading the setup from microsoft
>> web
>> sites but it just won't install and constantly asks to install itself.
>> Contacted the microsoft support without success.
>>

>> ---
>> Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
>> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
>> Analyse le : 2008-09-14 16:07:39

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.
> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
> Analyse le : 2008-09-14 19:40:59

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
Analyse le : 2008-09-14 19:43:01

Re: KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS
1. If you installed IE8 Beta 1, then installed Vista SP1, and then installed
IE8 Beta 2, you're right: You won't be able to uninstall IE8 Beta 2 or IE8
Beta 1 without first uninstalling Vista SP1.

2. If, however, you installed Vista SP1 without having installed IE8 Beta 1,
you will be able to uninstall IE8 Beta 2.

If #1 is the case, the only good news is that you'll be able to install IE8
Final Release.

Back to your problem, please answer the following by number, not inline...

1. Does disabling (or even uninstalling) Comodo Firewall AND THEN enabling
the Windows Firewall allow KB955302 to install?

2. Are you getting an error similar to "configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0%
complete"? (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358)

3. Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?

>>> Comodo 3 FW (v.378)
>>> AVAST HOME EDITION v. 4.8.1229
>>> SpySweeper v. 5.8 (build 55)
>>> ST, SAS, A2antimalware on demand scanners
>>> SpywareBlaster 4.1

4. Were all of the above fully disabled (including "real-time protection"
components/services of all anti-spyware applications) and was the Windows
Firewall enabled when you installed WinXP SP3 and/or any IE8 Beta build?

>>> Contacted the microsoft support without success.

5. Explain.

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows Vista |
select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

matthew steward wrote:
> You just can't uninstall IE8 b2 update. Impossible to go back to IE7!!!
> Not
> to my knowledge. They warned me before installing it 4-5 weeks ago!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Uninstall IE8 Beta 2 then try again.
>>
>> matthew steward wrote:
>>> ACER DESKTOP 1GB RAM, 320 GB HD, 1.6 GHZ.
>>> Comodo 3 FW (v.378)
>>> AVAST HOME EDITION v. 4.8.1229
>>> SpySweeper v. 5.8 (build 55)
>>> ST, SAS, A2antimalware on demand scanners
>>> SpywareBlaster 4.1
>>> IE 8 b2
>>> I'd like a fix for this issue as I tried even removing my Comodo3 FW and
>>> with resident protection AV OFF and downloading the setup from microsoft
>>> web
>>> sites but it just won't install and constantly asks to install itself.
>>> Contacted the microsoft support without success.

matthew steward

Re: KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS
2. If, however, you installed Vista SP1 without having installed IE8 Beta 1,
you will be able to uninstall IE8 Beta 2.
Well, I have an error message telling me the uninstallation aborted
1. Does disabling (or even uninstalling) Comodo Firewall AND THEN enabling
> the Windows Firewall allow KB955302 to install?

No
2. Are you getting an error similar to "configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0%
> complete"? (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358)

No
3. Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
Via Automatic Updates (Windows Update, had no problem with it)

> 4. Were all of the above fully disabled (including "real-time protection"
> components/services of all anti-spyware applications) and was the Windows
> Firewall enabled when you installed WinXP SP3 and/or any IE8 Beta build?

I'm on Vista Sp!, I upgraded from Vista Home Premium. I only have AVAST and
SpySweeper on RP and they were all turned off. Now ST and A-2antimalware are
manager. I can only say their RP is turned OFF as I run them as on-demand
scanners. Spywareblaster wasn't disabled but I don,t think it's the problem.

I'd say it's IE9 b2 and would like to know how to get back to IE7. I tried
uninstalling this update in Safe Mode with the same bad result.

> 5. Explain.
>
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
> available at no charge through 18 Mar-09. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows Vista |
> select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Yes, Support there is slow and non-efficient. I emailed the guy and wait for
an answer but I am hoping faster solutions in this newsgroup

> 1. If you installed IE8 Beta 1, then installed Vista SP1, and then
> installed IE8 Beta 2, you're right: You won't be able to uninstall IE8
> Beta 2 or IE8 Beta 1 without first uninstalling Vista SP1.
>
> 2. If, however, you installed Vista SP1 without having installed IE8 Beta
> 1, you will be able to uninstall IE8 Beta 2.
>
> If #1 is the case, the only good news is that you'll be able to install
> IE8 Final Release.
>
> Back to your problem, please answer the following by number, not inline...
>
> 1. Does disabling (or even uninstalling) Comodo Firewall AND THEN enabling
> the Windows Firewall allow KB955302 to install?
>
> 2. Are you getting an error similar to "configuring updates stage 3 of 3.
> 0% complete"? (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358)
>
> 3. Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?

> 4. Were all of the above fully disabled (including "real-time protection"
> components/services of all anti-spyware applications) and was the Windows
> Firewall enabled when you installed WinXP SP3 and/or any IE8 Beta build?

> 5. Explain.
>
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
> available at no charge through 18 Mar-09. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows Vista |
> select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> matthew steward wrote:
>> You just can't uninstall IE8 b2 update. Impossible to go back to IE7!!!
>> Not
>> to my knowledge. They warned me before installing it 4-5 weeks ago!
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Uninstall IE8 Beta 2 then try again.

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.
> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
> Analyse le : 2008-09-14 20:54:13

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
Analyse le : 2008-09-14 21:07:30

Re: KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS
[Such inline, cut/paste replies are not helpful.]

If you, in fact, installed IE8 Beta 1 or Beta 2 *before* you installed Vista
SP1, you'll have to uninstall Vista SP1 before you'll be able to uninstall
IE8 Beta 2.

matthew steward wrote:
> [...]

>> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
>> available at no charge through 18 Mar-09. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows Vista |
>> select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> matthew steward wrote:
>>> You just can't uninstall IE8 b2 update. Impossible to go back to IE7!!!
>>> Not
>>> to my knowledge. They warned me before installing it 4-5 weeks ago!

>> ---
>> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.
>> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
>> Analyse le : 2008-09-14 20:54:13
>>

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14

matthew steward

Re: KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS
PA Bear,
I installed IE8 b2 from IE7 on Vista SP1 and I tried to uninstall the
update but it doesn't work. The uninstall can't complete.

> [...]

>>> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
>>> available at no charge through 18 Mar-09. Go to
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows Vista |
>>> select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

>>> ---
>>> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.
>>> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
>>> Analyse le : 2008-09-14 20:54:13
>>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2008 ALWIL Software.
>>>

>> ---
>> Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
>> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
>> Analyse le : 2008-09-14 21:07:30

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.
> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080915-0, 2008-09-15

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080915-0, 2008-09-15
Analyse le : 2008-09-15 17:21:29

Re: KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS
Assuming that means you installed IE8 Beta 2 AFTER you'd installed Vista
SP1:

=> Post the verbatim error message you get when trying to uninstall IE8 Beta
2.

=> See both parts of the section "How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 Beta
2" here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787

=> Do you use a "Registry cleaner"? Have you used one since you installed
IE8 Beta 2? If so, you're out of luck.

=> Post about this issue in the IE Beta newsgroup:

NB: The only IE8 Beta support for non-US/CA residents is in that newsgroup.
You may end up having to reinstall Vista; such are the risks of installing
beta software.

The only possibly good news in all of this is that you should be able to
install the final release of IE8.
--
~PA Bear

matthew steward wrote:
> I installed IE8 b2 from IE7 on Vista SP1 and I tried to uninstall the
> update but it doesn't work. The uninstall can't complete.
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Such inline, cut/paste replies are not helpful.]
>>
>> If you, in fact, installed IE8 Beta 1 or Beta 2 *before* you installed
>> Vista SP1, you'll have to uninstall Vista SP1 before you'll be able to
>> uninstall IE8 Beta 2.
>>
>> matthew steward wrote:
>>> 2. If, however, you installed Vista SP1 without having installed IE8
>>> Beta
>>> 1,
>>> you will be able to uninstall IE8 Beta 2.
>>> Well, I have an error message telling me the uninstallation aborted
>>> 1. Does disabling (or even uninstalling) Comodo Firewall AND THEN
>>> enabling
>>>
>>> No
>>> 2. Are you getting an error similar to "configuring updates stage 3 of
>>> 3.
>>> 0%
>>> No
>>> 3. Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
>>> Via Automatic Updates (Windows Update, had no problem with it)

>>> I'm on Vista Sp!, I upgraded from Vista Home Premium. I only have AVAST
>>> and
>>> SpySweeper on RP and they were all turned off. Now ST and A-2antimalware
>>> are
>>> Process
>>> manager. I can only say their RP is turned OFF as I run them as
>>> on-demand
>>> scanners. Spywareblaster wasn't disabled but I don,t think it's the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> I'd say it's IE9 b2 and would like to know how to get back to IE7. I
>>> tried
>>> uninstalling this update in Safe Mode with the same bad result.

>>> Yes, Support there is slow and non-efficient. I emailed the guy and wait
>>> for
>>> an answer but I am hoping faster solutions in this newsgroup

matthew steward

Re: KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS
I get: "AN ERROR HAS HAPPENED. SOME UPDATES WEREN'T UNINSTALLED CORRECTLY"
whenever I try to uninstall IE 8 b2
I installed IE8 b2 after installing Vista SP1 (from Vista Home Premium) but
from IE 7;
I use a lot of registry cleaners:
I used Comodo beta registry cleaner
I'm using MV Reg Clean 5.5
I use CCleaner
I use Advanced Windows Personal Care
I use Glary
I use Auslogic Registry Defragmentor;
I'm going to post. I'm a CA resident
> Assuming that means you installed IE8 Beta 2 AFTER you'd installed Vista
> SP1:
>
> => Post the verbatim error message you get when trying to uninstall IE8
> Beta 2.
>
> => See both parts of the section "How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8
> Beta 2" here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787
>
> => Do you use a "Registry cleaner"? Have you used one since you installed
> IE8 Beta 2? If so, you're out of luck.
>
> => Post about this issue in the IE Beta newsgroup:
>
> NB: The only IE8 Beta support for non-US/CA residents is in that
> newsgroup. You may end up having to reinstall Vista; such are the risks of
> installing beta software.
>
> The only possibly good news in all of this is that you should be able to
> install the final release of IE8.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> matthew steward wrote:
>> I installed IE8 b2 from IE7 on Vista SP1 and I tried to uninstall the
>> update but it doesn't work. The uninstall can't complete.
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> [Such inline, cut/paste replies are not helpful.]
>>>
>>> If you, in fact, installed IE8 Beta 1 or Beta 2 *before* you installed
>>> Vista SP1, you'll have to uninstall Vista SP1 before you'll be able to
>>> uninstall IE8 Beta 2.

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.
> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080915-0, 2008-09-15
> Analyse le : 2008-09-15 18:29:24

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080915-0, 2008-09-15
Analyse le : 2008-09-15 18:54:47

Re: KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS
[X-post to IE Beta newsgroup]

> I use a lot of registry cleaners:
> I used Comodo beta registry cleaner
> I'm using MV Reg Clean 5.5
> I use CCleaner
> I use Advanced Windows Personal Care [OneCare?]
> I use Glary
> I use Auslogic Registry Defragmentor;

Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

Any one of the above deleted the IE8 Beta 2 uninstall files. Without this
data, you cannot uninstall IE8 Beta 2. The only way to remove IE8 Beta 2
now is to format & reinstall Vista and all Vista updates including Vista SP1
(if the machine didn't come with Vista SP1 preinstalled).

On the other hand, you should be able to install IE8 final release.

NB: The free IE8 Beta Support for US and CA residents
(http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?prid=12357) is going to tell
you the same thing so don't bother calling.

==================================

Off Topic: I'd advise you to disable email scanning by your anti-virus
application to avoid Windows Mail problems. It provides no additional
protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>