RE: XP SP2 Windows Update Error 0x8024001E

knowone

RE: XP SP2 Windows Update Error 0x8024001E

I recently started having the same problem for whatever reason & for all
those who replied to the original post by booksearcher all your links for
solutions do NOT work -- I have in the mean time turned on my automatic
updates BUT, who knows if, that will work if, I can't do it manually ---- if,
someone truly does have any kind of solution would you PLEASE repost - as, I
said the reply links NO longer work -- ALSO, I heard of another thing to try
my going to START/ RUN typing in services.msn & enter the making sure the
updates selection was on automatic & running - mine was on automatic BUT, was
NOT running & when I tried to restart the program I get an error ----
perhaps there is another solution if, there is anyone who knows a direct link
I can click to download SERVICE PACK 3 the latest for XP - if, i can download
this directly it might perhaps fix the problem

"BookSearcher" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after installing SP2, every attempt to run windows update results in the
> above error.
>
> Nothing on Microsoft sites, Anyone had the same problem and found a solution?
>
> Thanks

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: XP SP2 Windows Update Error 0x8024001E
If the error message that appeared when you attempted to start the
updating service was 1058, then either the system is infected with
malware, Vundo/Virtumonde, or, at worst, a combination of them.
Using Internet Explorer, see if the system can be scanned here:

If no malware is resident, than see these MSKBs:

"Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058"
error message when you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838428

You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive
an "Error 1058" error message on a computer that is running Windows XP
or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224

IF malware is present, than suggest you post to a reputable anti-malware
forum for assistance in getting the system cleaned up:

http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5

*Please* read the guidelines of the forum of your choice prior to posting.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten