Software Distribution Service 3

piecm

Software Distribution Service 3
On Wed 10 Sep 09 software was automatically installed on my pc. The system
checkpoint is called 'Software Distribution Service 3'. Since then every time
a screen saver activates the pc hangs. It is also running very slow. I am
running Windows XP home edition. Not sure if I have provided enough
information here. Can anyone advise please?

Re: Software Distribution Service 3
That checkpoint only means that some updates were install via Automatic
Updates.

To be able to assist you here, you'd have to be able to tell us what updates
were installed on 10 Sept-08. These will be listed in Add/Remove Programs
(if Show Updates option is checked) and in the Update History section at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Or you can...

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

piecm wrote:
> On Wed 10 Sep 09 software was automatically installed on my pc. The system
> checkpoint is called 'Software Distribution Service 3'. Since then every
> time a screen saver activates the pc hangs. It is also running very slow.
> am running Windows XP home edition. Not sure if I have provided enough
> information here. Can anyone advise please?

piecm

Re: Software Distribution Service 3
Thanks very much for replying. I've checked Add/Remove Programs. Under
Windows XP Software Updates I can see that KB938464 was installed on that
day. If you need any more information than that I will have to provide it
tomorrow as I am in the uk. Thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> That checkpoint only means that some updates were install via Automatic
> Updates.
>
> To be able to assist you here, you'd have to be able to tell us what updates
> were installed on 10 Sept-08. These will be listed in Add/Remove Programs
> (if Show Updates option is checked) and in the Update History section at
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
>
> Or you can...

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> piecm wrote:
> > On Wed 10 Sep 09 software was automatically installed on my pc. The system
> > checkpoint is called 'Software Distribution Service 3'. Since then every
> > time a screen saver activates the pc hangs. It is also running very slow.
> > am running Windows XP home edition. Not sure if I have provided enough
> > information here. Can anyone advise please?

Re: Software Distribution Service 3
Chances are that a few other updates were all installed on 10 September (cf.
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35913).

That being said, your best bet would be to open a free support incident.

NB: The support tech will need to know which updates were installed to be
able to help you. Check your Update History at Windows Update (which can be
accessed in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be).
--
~PA Bear

piecm wrote:
> Thanks very much for replying. I've checked Add/Remove Programs. Under
> Windows XP Software Updates I can see that KB938464 was installed on that
> day. If you need any more information than that I will have to provide it
> tomorrow as I am in the uk. Thanks
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> That checkpoint only means that some updates were install via Automatic
>> Updates.
>>
>> To be able to assist you here, you'd have to be able to tell us what
>> updates were installed on 10 Sept-08. These will be listed in Add/Remove
>> Programs (if Show Updates option is checked) and in the Update History
>> section at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
>>
>> Or you can...

>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
>> KB123456).
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through
>> your usual support contacts.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>>

>> piecm wrote:
>>> On Wed 10 Sep 09 software was automatically installed on my pc. The
>>> system
>>> checkpoint is called 'Software Distribution Service 3'. Since then every
>>> time a screen saver activates the pc hangs. It is also running very
>>> slow.
>>> am running Windows XP home edition. Not sure if I have provided enough
>>> information here. Can anyone advise please?

piecm

Re: Software Distribution Service 3
Hi, I've tried raising free support incident. After 24 hrs I received a very
general response advising me to look in knowledgebase or visit newsgroups to
talk to MVP. So I've come full circle. Microsoft UK site directs me to my
manufacturer if my microsoft product came pre-installed, and I can't seem to
get free help from Dell. I also now have a bit more information.
I have found my Windows Update History which shows that KB890830 and
KB938464 were successfully installed on 10th Sept. I have tried to restore to
a checkpoint prior to that installation. This failed, saying it was not
possible. I now have a better understanding of the symptoms as well. It is
not that the PC hangs when the screensaver activates. It is that the PC runs
very very slowly when it is at a blue screen just prior to the screen which
allows users to log in. Therefore if we try to switch users or if we leave
for a while and get switched out we experience the problem. As I am unable to
restore prior to the checkpoint before this Windows Update was applied I do
not know how to get round this.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Chances are that a few other updates were all installed on 10 September (cf.
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35913).
>
> That being said, your best bet would be to open a free support incident.
>
> NB: The support tech will need to know which updates were installed to be
> able to help you. Check your Update History at Windows Update (which can be
> accessed in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be).
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> piecm wrote:
> > Thanks very much for replying. I've checked Add/Remove Programs. Under
> > Windows XP Software Updates I can see that KB938464 was installed on that
> > day. If you need any more information than that I will have to provide it
> > tomorrow as I am in the uk. Thanks
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> That checkpoint only means that some updates were install via Automatic
> >> Updates.
> >>
> >> To be able to assist you here, you'd have to be able to tell us what
> >> updates were installed on 10 Sept-08. These will be listed in Add/Remove
> >> Programs (if Show Updates option is checked) and in the Update History
> >> section at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
> >>
> >> Or you can...
> >>
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >>
> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >>
> >> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> >> in
> >> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> >> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
> >> with
> >> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> >> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
> >> KB123456).
> >>
> >> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> >> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> >> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >>
> >> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> >> through
> >> your usual support contacts.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Software Distribution Service 3
Please do this first. Go to Start > Run > copy and paste the below into
the Open: line and then click OK or press Enter

%windir%\debug\mrt.log

Scroll to the bottom of the log for the most recent entry. Copy and
paste that entry into your reply, please.

EX:
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v2.2, September 2008
Started On Tue Sep 09 11:18:46 2008
->Scan ERROR: resource process://pid:2628 (code 0x00000057 (87))

Results Summary:
----------------
No infection found.

Return code: 0
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Sep 09
11:20:31 2008

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

piecm wrote:

> Hi, I've tried raising free support incident. After 24 hrs I received a very
> general response advising me to look in knowledgebase or visit newsgroups to
> talk to MVP. So I've come full circle. Microsoft UK site directs me to my
> manufacturer if my microsoft product came pre-installed, and I can't seem to
> get free help from Dell. I also now have a bit more information.
> I have found my Windows Update History which shows that KB890830 and
> KB938464 were successfully installed on 10th Sept. I have tried to restore to
> a checkpoint prior to that installation. This failed, saying it was not
> possible. I now have a better understanding of the symptoms as well. It is
> not that the PC hangs when the screensaver activates. It is that the PC runs
> very very slowly when it is at a blue screen just prior to the screen which
> allows users to log in. Therefore if we try to switch users or if we leave
> for a while and get switched out we experience the problem. As I am unable to
> restore prior to the checkpoint before this Windows Update was applied I do
> not know how to get round this.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Chances are that a few other updates were all installed on 10 September (cf.
>>http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35913).
>>
>>That being said, your best bet would be to open a free support incident.
>>
>>NB: The support tech will need to know which updates were installed to be
>>able to help you. Check your Update History at Windows Update (which can be
>>accessed in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be).
>>--
>>~PA Bear
>>

>>piecm wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks very much for replying. I've checked Add/Remove Programs. Under
>>>Windows XP Software Updates I can see that KB938464 was installed on that
>>>day. If you need any more information than that I will have to provide it
>>>tomorrow as I am in the uk. Thanks

Re: Software Distribution Service 3
Reply to Mow's post.

Also:

=> Start | Run | (type) winver | OK => post the results.

=> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
(if any)?
--
~PA Bear

piecm wrote:
> Hi, I've tried raising free support incident. After 24 hrs I received a
> very
> general response advising me to look in knowledgebase or visit newsgroups
> talk to MVP. So I've come full circle. Microsoft UK site directs me to my
> manufacturer if my microsoft product came pre-installed, and I can't seem
> get free help from Dell. I also now have a bit more information.
> I have found my Windows Update History which shows that KB890830 and
> KB938464 were successfully installed on 10th Sept. I have tried to restore
> to a checkpoint prior to that installation. This failed, saying it was not
> possible. I now have a better understanding of the symptoms as well. It is
> not that the PC hangs when the screensaver activates. It is that the PC
> runs
> very very slowly when it is at a blue screen just prior to the screen
> which
> allows users to log in. Therefore if we try to switch users or if we leave
> for a while and get switched out we experience the problem. As I am unable
> to restore prior to the checkpoint before this Windows Update was applied
> do not know how to get round this.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Chances are that a few other updates were all installed on 10 September
>> (cf. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35913).
>>
>> That being said, your best bet would be to open a free support incident.
>>
>> NB: The support tech will need to know which updates were installed to be
>> able to help you. Check your Update History at Windows Update (which can
>> be accessed in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be).
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> piecm wrote:
>>> Thanks very much for replying. I've checked Add/Remove Programs. Under
>>> Windows XP Software Updates I can see that KB938464 was installed on
>>> that
>>> day. If you need any more information than that I will have to provide
>>> it
>>> tomorrow as I am in the uk. Thanks

piecm

Re: Software Distribution Service 3
I have tracked this problem down to an upgrade of Zonealarm Security Suite
which I installed 2 days before receiving these Windows Updates.
Unfortunately I only noticed the symptoms the day after Windows updates so
assumed the connection. I became suspicious when I found no other references
to symptoms I am experiencing on this message board. Very sorry to have taken
up your time and thank you to PA Bear and Mow for helping.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Reply to Mow's post.
>
> Also:
>
> => Start | Run | (type) winver | OK => post the results.
>
> => What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> piecm wrote:
> > Hi, I've tried raising free support incident. After 24 hrs I received a
> > very
> > general response advising me to look in knowledgebase or visit newsgroups
> > talk to MVP. So I've come full circle. Microsoft UK site directs me to my
> > manufacturer if my microsoft product came pre-installed, and I can't seem
> > get free help from Dell. I also now have a bit more information.
> > I have found my Windows Update History which shows that KB890830 and
> > KB938464 were successfully installed on 10th Sept. I have tried to restore
> > to a checkpoint prior to that installation. This failed, saying it was not
> > possible. I now have a better understanding of the symptoms as well. It is
> > not that the PC hangs when the screensaver activates. It is that the PC
> > runs
> > very very slowly when it is at a blue screen just prior to the screen
> > which
> > allows users to log in. Therefore if we try to switch users or if we leave
> > for a while and get switched out we experience the problem. As I am unable
> > to restore prior to the checkpoint before this Windows Update was applied
> > do not know how to get round this.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Chances are that a few other updates were all installed on 10 September
> >> (cf. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35913).
> >>
> >> That being said, your best bet would be to open a free support incident.
> >>
> >> NB: The support tech will need to know which updates were installed to be
> >> able to help you. Check your Update History at Windows Update (which can
> >> be accessed in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be).
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: Software Distribution Service 3
What ZA application (e.g, ZA Free; ZA Pro; ZA Security Suite) and
upgrade/update to this application are you referring to? Your answer might
assist others with the same problem.

piecm wrote:
> I have tracked this problem down to an upgrade of Zonealarm Security Suite
> which I installed 2 days before receiving these Windows Updates.
> Unfortunately I only noticed the symptoms the day after Windows updates so
> assumed the connection. I became suspicious when I found no other
> references
> to symptoms I am experiencing on this message board. Very sorry to have
> taken up your time and thank you to PA Bear and Mow for helping.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Reply to Mow's post.
>>
>> Also:
>>
>> => Start | Run | (type) winver | OK => post the results.
>>
>> => What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall
>> (if any)?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> piecm wrote:
>>> Hi, I've tried raising free support incident. After 24 hrs I received a
>>> very
>>> general response advising me to look in knowledgebase or visit
>>> newsgroups
>>> talk to MVP. So I've come full circle. Microsoft UK site directs me to
>>> my
>>> manufacturer if my microsoft product came pre-installed, and I can't
>>> seem
>>> get free help from Dell. I also now have a bit more information.
>>> I have found my Windows Update History which shows that KB890830 and
>>> KB938464 were successfully installed on 10th Sept. I have tried to
>>> restore
>>> to a checkpoint prior to that installation. This failed, saying it was
>>> not
>>> possible. I now have a better understanding of the symptoms as well. It
>>> is
>>> not that the PC hangs when the screensaver activates. It is that the PC
>>> runs
>>> very very slowly when it is at a blue screen just prior to the screen
>>> which
>>> allows users to log in. Therefore if we try to switch users or if we
>>> leave
>>> for a while and get switched out we experience the problem. As I am
>>> unable
>>> to restore prior to the checkpoint before this Windows Update was
>>> applied
>>> do not know how to get round this.

piecm

Re: Software Distribution Service 3
It was ZA Security Suite v 8.0.020. There is a lot about it on ZA user forum
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst

ZA recommend reverting to previous version (7.0.483) and waiting for a fix.