Can't get the Automatic Update service to be automatic in services

Jacobi

Can't get the Automatic Update service to be automatic in services
I'm trying to update my Windows XP Pro after being infected by a virus, I've
scanned the computer several times and I've found the virus, it's in a file
called qoMcbcDs.dll, located in the C:\Windows\System32\ and I've tried
everything to delete it (command, safe mode etc) , but with no success
because the file is "in use" at all times.

So, I tought, I have to try to update my Windows definitions. But when I
tried it, the internet based update service told me I've got some services
inactive, and gave me instructions to activate them. So I ran the
services.mcs and tried to set the Automatic Update to Automatic (from
Inactive), but when I hit apply the status went back to Inactive, sometimes
it stayed Automatic and when I hit the Start button, I got a pop-up saying
that the service Automatic Update couldn't be started on the Local Computer.
Error 1058: Service can't be started. The reason is that the service is
either blocked or there's no active devices to be associated with (translated
from Swedish).

The other two services, Background Intellient Transfer Service and Eventlog,
are in order. It was when the BITS was stopped that the Aut.Upd. went
inactive when applying, but when started, as it shall be, the Aut.Upd. went
to automatic but when trying to start the service, I got the Error.

What is the problem here? What shall I do to get it active and started, in
order to get my updates? Is there an other way to get the updates?

Re: Can't get the Automatic Update service to be automatic in services
You have a Vundo infection, usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot
infections, all of which is protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0, or other
appropriate forums for review by an expert in such matters, not here.**

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/