kb936181 keeps showing up/not installing

epgviking

kb936181 keeps showing up/not installing
I am having this problem and have tried all the advice I can find. I have:
Dell XPS M1530
Windows Vista Home Premium
the alert of new updates shows up everyday, I download it, it shows that it
was succesful. The log shows it was successful, but I went to uninstall it
and there is no update with this code (KB936181) in the "Installed Updates"
file. Confusing...I tried the command prompt (ren
%windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old) it says "access denied"...the
command prompt shows C:\users\eric> so I believe it recognizes me as the
administrator...I manually try to do the update along with (KB941833) that
was recommended to increase the compatibility and when I do so I get an error
message "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specific log
file location exists and is writable".
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Gerry Rx

RE: Three updates with a KB of 0
I also have had man y problems with 'failed' MS Automatic updates.
Current.ly, I am dealing with the following: Security Update for Office 2003
(KB954478) , Security Update Microsoft Office 2003 (KB953404) and Security
Update Outlook 2003 Junk E-Mail (KB956077).

After checking my update history, these are not included in any of the
updates. In each case, the number of KB's = 0! My thought is that somehow
these updates were never actually attached to the updates, or somehow are
still left on the MS Auto Server in error. Any thoughts out there?

"epgviking" wrote:

> I am having this problem and have tried all the advice I can find. I have:
> Dell XPS M1530
> Windows Vista Home Premium
> the alert of new updates shows up everyday, I download it, it shows that it
> was succesful. The log shows it was successful, but I went to uninstall it
> and there is no update with this code (KB936181) in the "Installed Updates"
> file. Confusing...I tried the command prompt (ren
> %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old) it says "access denied"...the
> command prompt shows C:\users\eric> so I believe it recognizes me as the
> administrator...I manually try to do the update along with (KB941833) that
> was recommended to increase the compatibility and when I do so I get an error
> message "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specific log
> file location exists and is writable".
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: kb936181 keeps showing up/not installing
Download the update from here and *save* it:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-185639ba2807

Then boot to Safe Mode and rename msxml4.dll from an Elevated Command
Prompt [eg. right click command and choose Run as admin. Follow the prompts]

Then restart to normal Windows mode and manually install
msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe
IGNORE any prompt to reinstall the update that was downloaded
automatically. Install the manually downloaded update.
Reboot. Then install the compatibility update if needed.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

epgviking wrote:

> I am having this problem and have tried all the advice I can find. I have:
> Dell XPS M1530
> Windows Vista Home Premium
> the alert of new updates shows up everyday, I download it, it shows that it
> was succesful. The log shows it was successful, but I went to uninstall it
> and there is no update with this code (KB936181) in the "Installed Updates"
> file. Confusing...I tried the command prompt (ren
> %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old) it says "access denied"...the
> command prompt shows C:\users\eric> so I believe it recognizes me as the
> administrator...I manually try to do the update along with (KB941833) that
> was recommended to increase the compatibility and when I do so I get an error
> message "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specific log
> file location exists and is writable".
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks

epgviking

Re: kb936181 keeps showing up/not installing
MowGreen...I switch to safe mode and right click "run as administrator" and
the prompt then tells me it can't be run in "safe" mode???

any other ideas

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Download the update from here and *save* it:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-185639ba2807
>
> Then boot to Safe Mode and rename msxml4.dll from an Elevated Command
> Prompt [eg. right click command and choose Run as admin. Follow the prompts]
>
> Then restart to normal Windows mode and manually install
> msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe
> IGNORE any prompt to reinstall the update that was downloaded
> automatically. Install the manually downloaded update.
> Reboot. Then install the compatibility update if needed.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> epgviking wrote:
>
> > I am having this problem and have tried all the advice I can find. I have:
> > Dell XPS M1530
> > Windows Vista Home Premium
> > the alert of new updates shows up everyday, I download it, it shows that it
> > was succesful. The log shows it was successful, but I went to uninstall it
> > and there is no update with this code (KB936181) in the "Installed Updates"
> > file. Confusing...I tried the command prompt (ren
> > %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old) it says "access denied"...the
> > command prompt shows C:\users\eric> so I believe it recognizes me as the
> > administrator...I manually try to do the update along with (KB941833) that
> > was recommended to increase the compatibility and when I do so I get an error
> > message "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specific log
> > file location exists and is writable".
> > Any suggestions?
> > Thanks

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: kb936181 keeps showing up/not installing
An Elevated Command Prompt can not be run in SM ? Then the prompt
without Elevation and see if you can rename msxml4.dll.
Alternatively, if there is HP software installed [ or other printer
software that is holding msxml4.dll in use ], temporarily disable the
software from loading on startup via MSConfig:
Start System Configuration
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...a95481033.mspx

Using System Configuration
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...2ae4b1033.mspx

On the above page, scroll down to 'Startup'.
> Startup
>

> Lists applications that run when the computer boots, along with the name of their publisher, the
> path to the executable file, and the location of the registry key or shortcut that causes the
> application to run.

UNcheck all entries related to the printer software. Restart the system
so that they are not loading on boot. After renaming msxml4.dll, install
the update. Then reboot and see if the update installed properly.
If so, use System Configuration to reenable what you UNchecked previously.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten