Can no longer install any update through windows update

ckrobin

Can no longer install any update through windows update
I have just reformatted and reinstalled xp home on my computer. After
installing I started doing updates and service pack 3 was one of the first
updates it installed. I'm not 100% sure but I think that was the last
successfull update I have been able to get. If I find the update elswere and
manually download and install I can still get them, however I can not get any
updates through Windows Update. It downloads them then I get a message that
sais the following updates failed to install. When I look at my update
history the updates do not apear there as failed updates. I really don't want
to have to manually install all my updates from now on so can anyone help.
TaurArian

Re: Can no longer install any update through windows update
Method 1 is usually sufficient -

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"ckrobin" <ckrobin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just reformatted and reinstalled xp home on my computer. After
> installing I started doing updates and service pack 3 was one of the first
> updates it installed. I'm not 100% sure but I think that was the last
> successfull update I have been able to get. If I find the update elswere
> and
> manually download and install I can still get them, however I can not get
> any
> updates through Windows Update. It downloads them then I get a message
> that
> sais the following updates failed to install. When I look at my update
> history the updates do not apear there as failed updates. I really don't
> want
> to have to manually install all my updates from now on so can anyone help.

Amir

RE: Can no longer install any update through windows update
I have WinXP SP3. My computer is set for auomatic updates and I had been
receiving them till only a short while back. Like ckrobin, I also have a
feeling that I have stopped receiving them ever since installation of SP3.
Furthermore, I have been trying to install Windows Live Mail for the last
coupe of weeks and on each attempt I get error code 0x80070643. I may add
that I still have the factory installed OS plus updates received from time to
time.
Could some one please help?
Another thing on which I need guidance is as to why the notification from
the discussion group does not open in my Hotmail account. I had recently
posted a question regarding the above error code and have received the
notification, which does not open although the IE page opens, shows the
correct address in the bar but says 'Done' although nothing appears. My
computer is working all right and I am connected to the Internet as all other
sites and links do open.
--
Amir

"ckrobin" wrote:

> I have just reformatted and reinstalled xp home on my computer. After
> installing I started doing updates and service pack 3 was one of the first
> updates it installed. I'm not 100% sure but I think that was the last
> successfull update I have been able to get. If I find the update elswere and
> manually download and install I can still get them, however I can not get any
> updates through Windows Update. It downloads them then I get a message that
> sais the following updates failed to install. When I look at my update
> history the updates do not apear there as failed updates. I really don't want
> to have to manually install all my updates from now on so can anyone help.

TaurArian

Re: Can no longer install any update through windows update
You receive error code 0x80070643 or error code 0x643 when you use the
Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052
Includes Vista, Windows 2000, Windows Server, Windows XP

You receive an "Error 80070643" error message when you try to update Office
2003 by using Software Update Services
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903772

and/or

You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

You cannot install an Office 2003 service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884298

Step 2: Re-create the path of the original installation source in the
registry
Especially for 80070643 if a registry cleaner is used

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
guarantees and doesn't give any rights.

"Amir" <amirali1928@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have WinXP SP3. My computer is set for auomatic updates and I had been
> receiving them till only a short while back. Like ckrobin, I also have a
> feeling that I have stopped receiving them ever since installation of SP3.
> Furthermore, I have been trying to install Windows Live Mail for the last
> coupe of weeks and on each attempt I get error code 0x80070643. I may add
> that I still have the factory installed OS plus updates received from time
> time.
> Could some one please help?
> Another thing on which I need guidance is as to why the notification from
> the discussion group does not open in my Hotmail account. I had recently
> posted a question regarding the above error code and have received the
> notification, which does not open although the IE page opens, shows the
> correct address in the bar but says 'Done' although nothing appears. My
> computer is working all right and I am connected to the Internet as all
> other
> sites and links do open.
> --
> Amir
>

> "ckrobin" wrote:
>
>> I have just reformatted and reinstalled xp home on my computer. After
>> installing I started doing updates and service pack 3 was one of the
>> first
>> updates it installed. I'm not 100% sure but I think that was the last
>> successfull update I have been able to get. If I find the update elswere
>> and
>> manually download and install I can still get them, however I can not get
>> any
>> updates through Windows Update. It downloads them then I get a message
>> that
>> sais the following updates failed to install. When I look at my update
>> history the updates do not apear there as failed updates. I really don't
>> want
>> to have to manually install all my updates from now on so can anyone
>> help.

Amir

Re: Can no longer install any update through windows update
I am honored for my problem having been considered worthy of attenion by an
MVP, and I am very much impressed by the extent up to which you have kept
yourself up-to-date on the Microsoft literature and the policies.
As mentioned, I am no longer receiving automatic updates even though my
computer is set that way. I have not repaired my OS nor re-installed the
Windows. I think SP3 was probably the last update received. Unfortunately, I
cannot check the history of updates because every time I click on Windows
Update in Help and Support, I get a message "Cannot display the page
The Web page you are trying to view cannot be displayed. It could be that
the page is no longer available, or that the Web site is currently offline.
Please try again later, or try another page."
Coming back to kb 958052, I followed your advice all the way but on clicking
the shortcut, I get the message: "C\Documents and
Settings\.......Desktop\LoggingOn.reg is not a valid Win 32 application."
Grateful if you advise. I am quite uninitiated on the technical side of the
hardware and software and therefore would request for further guidance in
respect of your advice: "Re-create the path of the original installation
source in the
registry especially for 80070643 if a registry cleaner is used." I did at
one time downloaded RegCure. It scanned my computer, found a 1000 odd errors
but, not being a freeware, did not repair anything except one file
orientation file. I must however state that my problems date farther back
from the day I tried RegCure.
I hope you will forgive my for being rather lengthy.

Amir

"TaurArian" wrote:

> [...]
> >> first
> >> updates it installed. I'm not 100% sure but I think that was the last
> >> successfull update I have been able to get. If I find the update elswere
> >> and
> >> manually download and install I can still get them, however I can not get
> >> any
> >> updates through Windows Update. It downloads them then I get a message
> >> that
> >> says the following updates failed to install. When I look at my update
> >> history the updates do not apear there as failed updates. I really don't
> >> want
> >> to have to manually install all my updates from now on so can anyone
> >> help.

TaurArian

Re: Can no longer install any update through windows update
Ignore the error code and see if this helps with the "page cannot be
displayed"
Error code when you use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to
install updates: "0x8024D00C"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958053

When you get errors like "is not a valid Win 32 application" can indicate
file corruption. Have you done any hard disk maintenance lately like chkdsk
and defrag etc and clearing out the temporary internet files. Also have you
checked for malaware, there has been quite a lot around lately especially
Vundo.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo

Also check these services:-

Go to Start -< Run, type in Services.msc and press Enter. Please check the
following services:

"Remote Procedure Call" (RPCSS) should be enabled, Automatic
"COM+ Event System" (EventSystem) should be enabled, Manual
"System Event Notification Service" (SENS) should be enabled, Automatic
"Volume Shadow Copy" (VSS) should be enabled, Manual
"Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" (SWPRV) should be enabled, manual.

Amir wrote:
[...]
::
:: Amir
::
::
:: "TaurArian" wrote:
::
::: You receive error code 0x80070643 or error code 0x643 when you use
::: the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052
::: Includes Vista, Windows 2000, Windows Server, Windows XP
:::
::: You receive an "Error 80070643" error message when you try to
::: update Office 2003 by using Software Update Services
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903772
:::
::: and/or
:::
::: You cannot install some updates or programs
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
:::
::: You cannot install an Office 2003 service pack
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884298
:::
:::
::: Step 2: Re-create the path of the original installation source in
::: the registry
::: Especially for 80070643 if a registry cleaner is used
:::
:::
:::
::: --
:::
::: TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
::: http://taurarian.mvps.org
::: ======================================
::: How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
::: Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no
::: warranties or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
::: Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
:::
:::
[...]
:::: --
:::: Amir
::::
::::
:::: "ckrobin" wrote:
::::
[...]

In addition to TaurArian's reply:

1. Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

2. Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Amir wrote:
> [...]
>>> Furthermore, I have been trying to install Windows Live Mail for the
>>> last
>>> coupe of weeks and on each attempt I get error code 0x80070643. I may
>>> add
>>> that I still have the factory installed OS plus updates received from
>>> time
>>> time.
>>> Could some one please help?
>>> Another thing on which I need guidance is as to why the notification
>>> from
>>> the discussion group does not open in my Hotmail account. I had recently
>>> posted a question regarding the above error code and have received the
>>> notification, which does not open although the IE page opens, shows the
>>> correct address in the bar but says 'Done' although nothing appears. My
>>> computer is working all right and I am connected to the Internet as all

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Can no longer install any update through windows update

"Amir" <amirali1928@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:AA77B836-C5EF-44CB-99BC-A48A71763647@microsoft.com...

> Another thing on which I need guidance is as to why the notification from
> the discussion group does not open in my Hotmail account.

I'm not sure if it supposed to do just that. E.g. I thought it was supposed
to open a new IE window and then redirect the user directly to the thread
which had been updated. AFAIK it doesn't open the thread right at the
new post.

> I had recently
> posted a question regarding the above error code and have received the
> notification, which does not open although the IE page opens, shows the
> correct address in the bar but says 'Done' although nothing appears.

That is a known problem with that feature, at least with some of the
the portals that people may use. Try a different portal (WU is hosted
by many). Alternatively, you should be able to make use of the URL
that you are getting. Just extract the &URL= parameter and convert
it to a usable URL. E.g. convert any hex strings prefixed by a % character
to their appropriate ASCII character and make sure that you combine the
whole string into the URL. Frequently the URL is broken in the E-mail.
(In fact, that might have something to do with the redirect not working
properly in the first place.) ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Robert Aldwinckle

"Amir" <amirali1928@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0AF33C39-EEA1-4DB6-83B7-F464D7D24D8B@microsoft.com...

> clicking the shortcut, I get the message: "C\Documents and
> Settings\.......Desktop\LoggingOn.reg is not a valid Win 32 application."

That may only mean that you don't have a file type association
for .reg files or don't have one where the default action is Merge.
(Many administrators make Edit the default action for .reg files.)

So, instead of just "clicking" on the file you should more explicitly do
right-click Merge (assuming the .reg extension does have an association with Regedit.exe.)

If you like you can easily check whether you do have a regfile
File type and what its default action is using the Folder Options
Control Panel applet. Or just Run... control folders
and then click on the File Types tab, etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Amir

Re: Can no longer install any update through windows update
For Mr. Robert Aldwinckle:
Grateful for the reply. Sorry, I did not clarify that what I get in my
Hotmail account is the notification from the discussion group saying "Read
the response". This is a hot link, which when clicked opens up the IE as
expalined by you. However, many times, it shows for a while the site address
in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen and then says 'Done' although
nothing appears.
For example, I had recently requested a solution to a problem about the
facility of "Show hidden folders....." having been deactivated in my
computer. I recieved a notification on 17 January that a member had posted an
answer to my question. I have not been able to open the hot link so far.
Moreover, as far as I can remember, I had posted the question in "Windows
Client Security". Now, I cannot even find this group in the community!
As for the detailed solution given at the end of your reply, I am afraid it
is beyond my capability as a newbie. Thanks anyway.
--
Amir