Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Harv
 

Posts: n/a
Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog
I downloaded an Acer LCD (AL1916w) driver from the Update Catalog. The
filename is quite long with a .cab extension. What is the setup and install
procedure for a Vista computer. As I understand, Vista looks in the driver
store for updates. Do I need to import into the driver store, if so, how?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog
"Harv" <Harv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:354A224E-5D21-4E97-B972-00A7ED0CABA2@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded an Acer LCD (AL1916w) driver from the Update Catalog. The
> filename is quite long with a .cab extension. What is the setup and
> install
> procedure for a Vista computer. As I understand, Vista looks in the
> driver
> store for updates. Do I need to import into the driver store, if so, how?
> Thanks!



Don't use hardware drivers from MS. Get it from Acer.....

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Harv
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog
Acer does not publish a Vista driver for the LCD, only for XP.

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Harv" <Harv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:354A224E-5D21-4E97-B972-00A7ED0CABA2@microsoft.com...
> >I downloaded an Acer LCD (AL1916w) driver from the Update Catalog. The
> > filename is quite long with a .cab extension. What is the setup and
> > install
> > procedure for a Vista computer. As I understand, Vista looks in the
> > driver
> > store for updates. Do I need to import into the driver store, if so, how?
> > Thanks!

>
>
> Don't use hardware drivers from MS. Get it from Acer.....
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog
"Harv" <Harv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:731C1CEE-C86B-44BE-8A54-0ADFBB4D1A30@microsoft.com...
> Acer does not publish a Vista driver for the LCD, only for XP.
>


Well in my Acer website it doesn't give ANY Windows version at all - it just
says that the driver is for "Windows". Have you actually tried installing
it? It's a Zip file......

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog
"Harv" <Harv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:731C1CEE-C86B-44BE-8A54-0ADFBB4D1A30@microsoft.com...
> Acer does not publish a Vista driver for the LCD, only for XP.
>


here's the page:
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...r/al1916w.html

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Harv
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog
I tried that same file, but Vista complains when I browse to the .inf file.
Is there a specific folder to store this driver where Vista can recognize
it's availability?

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Harv" <Harv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:731C1CEE-C86B-44BE-8A54-0ADFBB4D1A30@microsoft.com...
> > Acer does not publish a Vista driver for the LCD, only for XP.
> >

>
> Well in my Acer website it doesn't give ANY Windows version at all - it just
> says that the driver is for "Windows". Have you actually tried installing
> it? It's a Zip file......
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog
"Harv" <Harv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9B9B6FB4-2025-4591-965B-1780E668DF8B@microsoft.com...
>I tried that same file, but Vista complains when I browse to the .inf file.
> Is there a specific folder to store this driver where Vista can recognize
> it's availability?
>


Are you installing it as an administrator?

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Harv
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog
Yes ...

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Harv" <Harv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9B9B6FB4-2025-4591-965B-1780E668DF8B@microsoft.com...
> >I tried that same file, but Vista complains when I browse to the .inf file.
> > Is there a specific folder to store this driver where Vista can recognize
> > it's availability?
> >

>
> Are you installing it as an administrator?
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog
"Harv" <Harv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:39808AE2-52C1-4491-B912-1E8E711C6B02@microsoft.com...
> Yes ...
>


Have you tried unzipping to a folder and updating the driver through Device
Manager?

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008
Harv
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Install Vista Driver from Microsoft Update Catalog
Oh yes, I browse for the .inf file, then click to proceed, but complains "The
folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your
device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work
with Windows for 32-bit systems."

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Harv" <Harv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:39808AE2-52C1-4491-B912-1E8E711C6B02@microsoft.com...
> > Yes ...
> >

>
> Have you tried unzipping to a folder and updating the driver through Device
> Manager?
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HP LaserJet 1012: Update Failing to Install, Vista Constantly Fails to Install Driver T. Hulot microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 5 03-09-2008 02:22
Article ID: 933528 Error message when you try to install Microsoft Update on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Could not install Microsoft Update on the computer" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Re: Welcome to Microsoft Update Catalog Newsgroup goode2fox microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog 0 10-20-2007 09:12
RE: Welcome to Microsoft Update Catalog Newsgroup richard brown microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog 0 10-05-2007 00:13
HP LaserJet 1012: Update Failing to Install, Vista Constantly Fails to Install Driver T. Hulot microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 08-01-2007 15:56




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:07.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120