after update w/08-054 and 08-052 system is will not load normally.

jrg1

after update w/08-054 and 08-052 system is will not load normally.
I'm on a dual opteron Boxx with Tyan board and Nvidia 540 running XpSP3 and
NAV 08. Last evening my system was updated to the 2 latest 9/10 updates and
upon re-start my system begins to load and then closes displaying a
application closing window for "Media Player 11 Networks sha........". Then
blue screen showing Windows is shutting down. I can only boot into safe mode.
Cannot boot into vga mode. I cannot uninstall NAV to test in safe mode as
it's partially disabled. I have updated my Nvidia driver to a later driver to
no avail.

A mid august windows update also was not stable at first but upon reboot
cleared up. Now with the latest, I'm stuck in safe mode, unable to do much at
all. A system restore to a day prior was of no benefit.

Any guidance is appreciated.

John

Re: after update w/08-054 and 08-052 system is will not load normally.

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

jrg1 wrote:
> I'm on a dual opteron Boxx with Tyan board and Nvidia 540 running XpSP3
> and
> NAV 08. Last evening my system was updated to the 2 latest 9/10 updates
> and
> upon re-start my system begins to load and then closes displaying a
> application closing window for "Media Player 11 Networks sha........".
> Then
> blue screen showing Windows is shutting down. I can only boot into safe
> mode. Cannot boot into vga mode. I cannot uninstall NAV to test in safe
> mode as it's partially disabled. I have updated my Nvidia driver to a
> later
> driver to no avail.
>
> A mid august windows update also was not stable at first but upon reboot
> cleared up. Now with the latest, I'm stuck in safe mode, unable to do much
> at all. A system restore to a day prior was of no benefit.
>
> Any guidance is appreciated.
>
> John

jrg1

RE: after update w/08-054 and 08-052 system is will not load normally.
Just an addendum to the intial report. I also verified in my registry and mem
management is modified for AMD processors with appropriate values according
to prior MS KB and KB from Nvidia re: their 176.04 drivers and use of AMD
processors. No matter the Nvidia drivers up to and including 176.04 the same
issues exist. I'm assuming an issue with Norton and MS though locked out of
removal of NAV 08 to test as I'm only operational in safe mode and still no
luck to get into VGA mode.

John

"jrg1" wrote:

> I'm on a dual opteron Boxx with Tyan board and Nvidia 540 running XpSP3 and
> NAV 08. Last evening my system was updated to the 2 latest 9/10 updates and
> upon re-start my system begins to load and then closes displaying a
> application closing window for "Media Player 11 Networks sha........". Then
> blue screen showing Windows is shutting down. I can only boot into safe mode.
> Cannot boot into vga mode. I cannot uninstall NAV to test in safe mode as
> it's partially disabled. I have updated my Nvidia driver to a later driver to
> no avail.
>
> A mid august windows update also was not stable at first but upon reboot
> cleared up. Now with the latest, I'm stuck in safe mode, unable to do much at
> all. A system restore to a day prior was of no benefit.
>
> Any guidance is appreciated.
>
> John

jrg1

Re: after update w/08-054 and 08-052 system is will not load norma
Thanks. Already sent one and added a second with this thread linked.

John

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> jrg1 wrote:
> > I'm on a dual opteron Boxx with Tyan board and Nvidia 540 running XpSP3
> > and
> > NAV 08. Last evening my system was updated to the 2 latest 9/10 updates
> > and
> > upon re-start my system begins to load and then closes displaying a
> > application closing window for "Media Player 11 Networks sha........".
> > Then
> > blue screen showing Windows is shutting down. I can only boot into safe
> > mode. Cannot boot into vga mode. I cannot uninstall NAV to test in safe
> > mode as it's partially disabled. I have updated my Nvidia driver to a
> > later
> > driver to no avail.
> >
> > A mid august windows update also was not stable at first but upon reboot
> > cleared up. Now with the latest, I'm stuck in safe mode, unable to do much
> > at all. A system restore to a day prior was of no benefit.
> >
> > Any guidance is appreciated.
> >
> > John

jrg1

RE: after update w/08-054 and 08-052 system is will not load normally.
Issue Solved -

I am using a Tyan Thunder moherboard and it's system monitoring software was
the culprit. After a long day of testing configs, the last, and least
considered software was the culprit. Removed all Tyan server and console
items from startup and all runs fine. Latest 2 MS updates installed and NAV
08.

John

"jrg1" wrote:

> I'm on a dual opteron Boxx with Tyan board and Nvidia 540 running XpSP3 and
> NAV 08. Last evening my system was updated to the 2 latest 9/10 updates and
> upon re-start my system begins to load and then closes displaying a
> application closing window for "Media Player 11 Networks sha........". Then
> blue screen showing Windows is shutting down. I can only boot into safe mode.
> Cannot boot into vga mode. I cannot uninstall NAV to test in safe mode as
> it's partially disabled. I have updated my Nvidia driver to a later driver to
> no avail.
>
> A mid august windows update also was not stable at first but upon reboot
> cleared up. Now with the latest, I'm stuck in safe mode, unable to do much at
> all. A system restore to a day prior was of no benefit.
>
> Any guidance is appreciated.
>
> John

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: after update w/08-054 and 08-052 system is will not load normally.
Thanks for posting the resolution, John. For once, NAV was not the
culprit <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten